Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the non-polarized capacitors good enough for crossovers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the non-polarized capacitors good enough for crossovers?

I have been selecting parts for a Classix 2.5 build. Is it really worth it to buy the more expensive Dayton or Audyn caps?

I assume you mean non polarized electrolytic; all crossover caps including poly are non polarized. This comes up every once in a while and makes for a long discussion sometimes. Some information is subjective and opinion based, some fact based, such as electrolytic caps have higher esr (resistance) and shorter life. Short and easy answer is do yourself a favor and spend a very small amount more and get the Audyn Q4s for the tweeter.
    Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
    Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
    References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
    Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

The Audyns will deliver a crispness that will make the tweeter really shine
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

The answer to the subject line question is yes. They are the ONLY ones most suitable for a speaker passive crossover to pass the AC signal.
        Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Thanks for the information. The only part that I thought was expensive were the 100uf caps. Is there a cheaper option?

Comment

Here is a link to a discussion about a blind test performed at a speaker gathering:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...-results.4948/

Interesting reading.

Comment

Yes I'd use non-polar electrolytic for the 100 uf capacitor,
              John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                ..Interesting reading.
                Noting the contention about the details of the test; Some people put a lot of emphasis ( in 2004 and Today ) on listening test methodology, particularly "blind testing".
                As part of college curriculum, I took Experimental Psychology, which dealt with the appropriateness and relevance of various means of analysis.
                Post college audio experience supported the significance of the "Psycho" in Psychoacoustics.
                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Is it not generally accepted (and convenient) that large capacitors in a woofers 2nd order LP XO are acceptable because: (a) They are not in the direct signal path to driver; and (b) The lower frequencies reproduced by the woofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    Noting the contention about the details of the test; Some people put a lot of emphasis ( in 2004 and Today ) on listening test methodology, particularly "blind testing".
                    As part of college curriculum, I took Experimental Psychology, which dealt with the appropriateness and relevance of various means of analysis.
                    Post college audio experience supported the significance of the "Psycho" in Psychoacoustics.
                    I'm not saying the test was definitive or anything.

But it is a little difficult to reconcile with some of the stuff we read about capacitors.

Comment

I've never considered any "blind-test" in this context as definitive .
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                        I've never considered any "blind-test" as definitive .
                        The results are just a bit ironic (perhaps) given that the group think/talk is so overwhelmingly anti-electrolytic capacitor.

For the way some people talk about electrolytic caps, you'd think such a test would never result in a null.

It shouldn't go w/o mention that in the same link, it is indicated that Dennis Murphy (a well-respected designer) said he cannot hear a difference in caps.

Comment

It would be interesting to see some more testing, but I'm not sure the community would ever agree on the findings.

I could build 2 different crossovers and to a little testing myself, but if time is money it kinda seems like a waste. Valid or not the extra money spent will make the speakers sound better. Or at least give the assurance that they are the best they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                            ... such a test ..
                            I'd opine that testing methodology concepts used to determine drug or treatment efficacy are misunderstood, and are not necessarily appropriate when it comes to audible perception.
                            Technically the phrase "Placebo Effect" gets used erroneously, when it comes to perception. It is understood that perception varies and is subject to bias, among other things.
                            Because of this the methodology details are debated. Gross differences would be quick and easy to discern, subtle differences not so easy to discern under constraints of time and situation etc.

Comment

When it comes to subjective cap testing, 'subtle difference' are the order of the day and that's exactly why there is so much variance in opinions. The measurement instruments (panelists ears) probably vary more than the DUT, thus convoluting outcomes. Try and find the original Clarity Cap paper that led to their development of the MR series. AES might have it. CC ended up using a trained hearing panel to distinguish subtle differences. Lesson learned.... when you get a bunch of untrained speaker enthusiasts involved in a blind listening test scenario, the results will be inevitable.
                              Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Working...
                              X