Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to choose my next project-- smallish speakers for my office

Hey guys,

After driving back to my office on my "off day" to take care of a patient emergency for the umptiemth time (#$%^ you, Kaiser--it takes over 25 minutes on hold to phone in a prescription), I think that I'd like to splurge on making myself something nice. I feel like I'm at the office more than home, so...

Do you guys have a recommendation for "keepers"?
    I'd like some shoebox size speakers (about the size of KLH Model 21 or smaller) that would work well without a subwoofer.
    Ideally, I'd like something that won't really need upgradeitis in the future. The speakers will be pretty close to the wall--about 3-5", and on my desk.
    My personal office is maybe 8'x10'. Mainly, I'd be listening to music/youtube off my work PC after hours when I'm reviewing paperwork, patient cases, admin work, aaaargh!!!!

I figure that the annoying stuff will be much better with great sounding music.
    I'd happily build my own cabinets/baffles/etc (although if it's done already, I'll happily pay more for a baffle/flat pack).
    My budget is under $500 (which for me is going in pretty big). I'd like something that I won't go--"man, I need to upgrade this in the future."
    Ideally, I'd like to not need a subwoofer. Most of my music tends to be guitar based (since I build them for fun).

Also, can you recommend a good small amplifier/dac to drive this?

As you can see, my desk is cluttered.
    Today, I tried using my quarks driven by an SMSL SA50 to replace my $12 amazon speakers...but the room treatment feels totally off (probably because it's stuck behind the monitor.
    I'm thinking of replacing the radio and the wooden crates under the phone with some speakers.

My first thought was Paul Carmony's Speedster. From personal experience, anything designed by Paul is a sonic bargain. But on a desk and up against a wall...I don't know. Paul advises to raise it up a bit off the desk surface to avoid too much boundary reinforcement in the low end.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Heliums by Scott Sehlin would be your best bet for tiny and extended. If you can go a little larger, Lithiums by Scott would also work.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've been enjoying these and drive them with a DTA-100 / 120
        Designer: John H Project Category: Freestyle Speakers Project Level: Intermediate Project Time: 8-20 Hours Project Cost: $100 – $500 Project Description: This project makes a small 2-way spea…
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I had Overnight Sensations on my desk and then upgraded to the Speedsters. While the Speedsters are more detailed, I may actually prefer the OSes. Both are available as flat packs and are great nearfield monitors.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was also looking at the Stances and Piccolos.
            I hadn't thought of the Lithiums, but those would work too.

The positioning is a strange one-- too small won't work because I'd have to stick it behind my monitor.
            Too big (Classix 2) would not fit.

About in the middle would work for replacing the radio and acting as a phone prop platform.
            Go figure. Goldilocks, I guess I am.

-Matt

ps. I might go with the SMSL Q5

Comment

The Sopranos may also be a good option. I've heard people praise them as well. What dimensions are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

I was also looking at the Stances and Piccolos.
                I hadn't thought of the Lithiums, but those would work too.

ps. I might go with the SMSL Q5
                I know someone has used the Stances as desktop monitors, but they really perform better stand-mounted and free field.

The Q5 would be a good fit for a PC use.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
                  The Sopranos may also be a good option. I've heard people praise them as well. What dimensions are you looking for?
                  I'm looking for something roughly 6-8" tall by 9-12" wide and less than 8 " deep.

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...for-pc-bedroom

My 3 page thread of a long list of PC speakers.

Comment

Btw, it would be super helpful for people to describe their thoughts on the "sound" of the various builds.
                      Granted, I'm pretty certain that pretty much anything will smoke my $12 Amazon speakers.

Realistically if I had the space, I'd probably build some Classix 2.
                      My source (youtube) isn't exactly high fidelity, and my room is very not audiophile friendly.

Comment

Hey Krillin,

I'm been looking and relooking at your thread for the past 4 days!
                        Thanks for having started that thread.

Comment

Btw, did you end up choosing a design to build?

Comment

Well I'm going to Europe in a month for a few weeks. Given hotels, meals, cost of museums, etc. my builds will be delayed until the holidays.

My plans:
                            Swift Ultima for myself
                            C-Note kit from Partsexpress as a gift pair ($100 pair including cabinet, then add free shipping and a $10 off coupon)

Almost made the cut:
                            The Arias
                            Tasha near field monitor
                            Nano Ones

Any of the speakers I posted are good designs. So basically choose based on price/driver quality. There are no bad crossover designs in my 3-page list, just make sure that the crossovers are still available because photobucket changed their terms.

Also, I am using my Pioneer BS22's temporarily with a small sub and I am finding I don't care as much for fidelity in a PC chair as I do on my couch. The tweeter is lacking but the rest is easily forgivable.

Comment

I sorta envy you.
                              While I love what I do and my patients are pretty awesome, I don't get the freedom to get out much.
                              One of these days it'd be nice to go to Germany or Japan and check out the medical technology there.

The C-notes were definitely on my short list of possible builds--but I feel like I'd immediately want to upgrade to something "better" right afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X