No announcement yet.

Progress in replacing RS28A and RS28F?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress in replacing RS28A and RS28F?

As we all know the RS28A and RS28F tweeters have been discontinued. Several projects have been rendered obsolete since those tweeters are no longer available. I am wondering about the progress of replacing those tweeters.

John

John,

Dayton Audio confirmed to me via email that they are currently working with another manufacturer to make replacements with the same frequency response but couldn't give an ETA for the new tweeters. Their engineers are visiting the new manufacturers factory in October so hopefully we will have some good news after their visit.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by hudelson2 View Post
      As we all know the RS28A and RS28F tweeters have been discontinued. Several projects have been rendered obsolete since those tweeters are no longer available. I am wondering about the progress of replacing those tweeters.

John
      More than several. Dozens and dozens. Their absence marks the end of an era. Still, 12 years is a long time for any product these days. Time to move on. Whatever the replacement is will require new crossovers regardless.

Comment

While we are the subject of tweeters it would be nice if Parts Express would come up with a dome mid-tweet with a dome size of 35 mm and an X-max > 1 mm for a lower crossover. We older senior citizens can't hear higher frequencies anyway and a lower crossover would enable larger woofers to be used for 2 way designs.

I'm thinking about the Seas A26 speaker kit as an example.

John

Comment

With a new version it cd be a blessing in disguise. Look forward to it!

Comment

If this was planned by PE, wouldn't they have tried to have a replacement lined up before the tweets were yanked? I wonder if there was a contract problem or a manufacturing problem that forced their hand.

Comment

While I don't have any insider info, I suspect PE was blind-sided, if not completely, substantially. As good and as popular the RS28s were, they would have likely been good sellers for many years to come.
              Paul

Originally posted by skatz View Post
              If this was planned by PE, wouldn't they have tried to have a replacement lined up before the tweets were yanked? I wonder if there was a contract problem or a manufacturing problem that forced their hand.

Comment

Originally posted by hudelson2 View Post

John
                All may not be lost: even if PE doesn't stock these tweeters any more, there may still be some stores (particularly internationally) which have some stock sourced from Parts Express.

PE won't allow links to competitors, which is entirely appropriate, of course but maybe in this case it would be nice for people to suggest suppliers who still have stock?

Just an idea

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

All may not be lost: even if PE doesn't stock these tweeters any more, there may still be some stores (particularly internationally) which have some stock sourced from Parts Express.

PE won't allow links to competitors, which is entirely appropriate, of course but maybe in this case it would be nice for people to suggest suppliers who still have stock?

Just an idea

Geoff
                  I found the RS28F still for sale on a couple different sites. However they are asking about double the price that PE was selling them for.

Comment

While they are at it, it would be great to have an Esoteric series tweeter again.

Comment

In the last sales flyer they are advertising the Aviatrix kit which uses the RS28f so they must feel confidant they will have these tweeters. As of now they are out of stock with a Nov. availability. And as Paul K has stated, it was probably a nitemare to PE when this happened because they were probably one of their most successful drivers
                      ​from Dayton Audio with plenty of future sales because of the price/performance/adaptability for waveguides/ low x-over and on and on. Long live the RS28.

Comment

Regarding the Aviatrix, in the biz flyers like these are planned & laid out months in advance. It might have been too late to revise. It also lends credence to the notion that this was unexpected.

Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time PE had sold-out SKUs in an ad.
                        \_(ツ)_/
                        nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
                          Regarding the Aviatrix, in the biz flyers like these are planned & laid out months in advance. It might have been too late to revise. It also lends credence to the notion that this was unexpected.

Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time PE had sold-out SKUs in an ad.
                          \_(ツ)_/
                          ​Possible , but when you click on the product on the "current" availability it says mid November. Surely that cant be months old info, can only hope that PE hopes to have them by then.

Comment

But even if there is a so-called replacement. If it's from another manufacturer, what are the odds no crossover changes would be required for current designs?

Comment

Product end of life is inevitable - and when it happens, it is actually an opportunity for the hobby to take it on themselves to produce new designs and find new alternatives. It might be a pain for people who endorse building kits or for people who base a certain amount of their self-worth on the number of others who build their designs - but it will ultimately drive innovation.

The new DX25 variant, on paper, looks to be at least the equal of the RS tweeter with better looks and a lower price to boot. Perhaps it is time to move on - the DIY world has recovered from, (and ultimately progressed much further), far more devastating NLA events.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X