Looking for tips on cabinet finishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips on cabinet finishing

I'm going to be covering my AviaTrix cabs in wilsonart madagascar laminate. I've never used laminate before and was looking for any tips/advice on the process before I get started. I have them sanded down to 100 and 120 grit around the holes. I have some Weldwood original contact cement and a j-roller on the way as well.

I've been curious about this as well. Specifically, can you hit it with a route?
    nothing can stop me now

Comment

Cut the pieces oversize. Cover back, then bottom, sides, top, front, or however you want the edges to show. Get a good laminate trimming bit with a bearing. Practice on scrap.

Weldwood sticks real good, the first time. Support the pieces with sticks while you position them.

That tweeter rebate is very shallow, not sure how I would do that. The laminate looks really nice. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        Cut the pieces oversize. Cover back, then bottom, sides, top, front, or however you want the edges to show. Get a good laminate trimming bit with a bearing. Practice on scrap.

Weldwood sticks real good, the first time. Support the pieces with sticks while you position them.

That tweeter rebate is very shallow, not sure how I would do that. The laminate looks really nice. Good luck.
        Thanks for the tips! I've done some searching and read somewhere that I should wait to use the roller after trimming the veneer with the router. It was something to do with cracking the laminate edge? Do you use a roller before or after trimming yourself? I think I'll tackle the tweeter rebate the same as I do for veneer. I've got a Whiteside solid carbide flush bit with no bearing, I ground it down some too. It gets into very shallow recesses. One more question, what should I use to cut the pieces of laminate?
        Last edited by Jeff F.; 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I made a set of five HT speakers with formica over particle board many years ago. I used two tools for cutting that you probably don't have, a sheet metal shear, the kind you step on to cut large sheets, and a hand held tool that is basically an electric drill with a cutting head that has 3 teeth and takes a 1/4" kerf. I did get some chipping, but my boxes were not perfect, the corners were not as nice as the cabs you have.

Comment

Nope, none of those tools here. I'll probably just use my circular saw with a blade that has lots of carbide teeth. I see the contact cement specifies 65 minimum temps for the process. It's starting to cool off here at night, so I think I'll be a little outside of what's called for. Hopefully it'll still bond well in the cooler temps here. I'm not messing with the stuff inside the house. I'll be using it in an unheated garage.

Comment

That tweeter cutout is going to be a pain. These work for areas where a bearing cant get into. I think the top guide is appr9x 1/8" so that recess will probably need to be approx 3/16" deep with the laminate installed to work. How much was the laminate? It seems like you can get some really cool designs and its pre-finsished which is a nice benefit.

Whiteside Router Bits SC28C Flush Trim Bit with Solid Carbide 1/4-Inch Cutting Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2G69M..._OX2Tzb6X9BX7M
              My Build Thread's
              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                That tweeter cutout is going to be a pain. These work for areas where a bearing cant get into. I think the top guide is appr9x 1/8" so that recess will probably need to be approx 3/16" deep with the laminate installed to work. How much was the laminate? It seems like you can get some really cool designs and its pre-finsished which is a nice benefit. Whiteside Router Bits SC28C Flush Trim Bit with Solid Carbide 1/4-Inch Cutting Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2G69M..._OX2Tzb6X9BX7M
                I had to order the laminate since it wasn't in stock. I got a 5x10' piece on the way for $120. I figured a little extra should be left for a small future project. That bit is the same one I use. I ground it down some too. Here's some pics of recent projects I've used it on. I think it'll work well for the laminate too.
                Last edited by Jeff F.; 09-12-2017, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                  Thanks for the tips! I've done some searching and read somewhere that I should wait to use the roller after trimming the veneer with the router. It was something to do with cracking the laminate edge? Do you use a roller before or after trimming yourself? I think I'll tackle the tweeter rebate the same as I do for veneer. I've got a Whiteside solid carbide flush bit with no bearing, I ground it down some too. It gets into very shallow recesses. One more question, what should I use to cut the pieces of laminate?
                  Always use the roller before you trim, otherwise you can lift and tear the edge if you don't have good adhesion. You do have to be careful not to crack the edge as you are rolling though. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Jeff what is the actual material is it plastic laminate that looks like wood or is it actual veneer that is prefinished and backed with phenolic backer (like laminate)
                    ​Definitely roll it before routing being careful to not go to far over the edge, you can roll it again after routing. I would take the time to apply masking tape to wherever
                    ​the bearing will be riding on any laminated/finished surfaces it is worth the extra time to protect the laminate. Also edges of MDF suck up adhesive like a sponge
                    ​you may need to put more adhesive on exposed panel edges or risk delamination. I'm not sure how you plan on doing the router hole unless you use a pattern and
                    ​template guide/bushing. I usually rout any driver recesses after applying veneers or laminates with a rabbiting bit or pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                      Jeff what is the actual material is it plastic laminate that looks like wood or is it actual veneer that is prefinished and backed with phenolic backer (like laminate)
                      ​Definitely roll it before routing being careful to not go to far over the edge, you can roll it again after routing. I would take the time to apply masking tape to wherever
                      ​the bearing will be riding on any laminated/finished surfaces it is worth the extra time to protect the laminate. Also edges of MDF suck up adhesive like a sponge
                      ​you may need to put more adhesive on exposed panel edges or risk delamination. I'm not sure how you plan on doing the router hole unless you use a pattern and
                      ​template guide/bushing. I usually rout any driver recesses after applying veneers or laminates with a rabbiting bit or pattern.
                      The laminate is plastic that looks like wood. If you see post #8, you'll see how I'm going to trim the laminate around the tweeter rebate. I actually always trim out the holes and recesses this way when I use veneer. That bit gets into some seriously shallow areas.

Comment

How to cut Wilsonart laminate directions from HD ...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...bcbb3e99dc.pdf

Comment

To do the tweeter rebate you'll have to make a template out of 1/4" hardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                            How to cut Wilsonart laminate directions from HD ...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...bcbb3e99dc.pdf
                            Thanks Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by B King View Post
                              To do the tweeter rebate you'll have to make a template out of 1/4" hardboard.
                              Nah, I got it.

Comment

Working...
                              X