KAB-BE with other amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAB-BE with other amps

Will the Dayton KAB-BE battery board work with other amplifiers, or will it only work with the KAB 15W, 30W, and 50W amps?

If not, what's the best way to connect 3-6 unprotected 18650 lithium cells in a boombox setup to be safely charged and power the amp?

The KAB-BE is literally just a battery pack, so you can plug it into whatever you like.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I think the battery board is specifically made for the KAB amplifiers. If not I would love to see how to implement.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Thanks, I'm working on something now and as soon as I test the wiring I'll update. There's actually a +/- solder lug on the board so there's definitely a way to hook it up without the provided cable.

Comment

A side note ... many of the 18650 battery advertised on buying sites are inferior / grossly overstated capacities. Buy the Panasonic NCR18650BE from a reputable seller - 3,400 MaH capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
            A side note ... many of the 18650 battery advertised on buying sites are inferior / grossly overstated capacities. Buy the Panasonic NCR18650BE from a reputable seller - 3,400 MaH capacity.
            I could not agree more. No name or off brand 18650s are trouble waiting to happen. The only non-name brand I would use is PKCell. PE sells them and Adafruit only uses them. Reputable sellers are key. eBay is not a reputable seller. There is a very large seller out of Houston that has every 18650 and charger under the sun. Great prices and shipping is very reasonable.

My personal preference is Samsung batteries. I can get 12 hours run time at moderate volumes from a KAB-215 and three Samsung 25Rs they are only 2200 mAh. I have also been using their 2600mAh batteries and can get a few more hours of play.
            "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Having read all the documentation (several times) on the KAB boards as well as the equivalent Sure JAB boards, this is what I think ... (YMMV)

The battery module will operate on its own including charge management. I don't believe the amp module manages charging in any way. I think the two pairs of power wires from the amp to the battery module allows the amp to have the "wake-up" feature at extreme low power drain by not connecting the batteries to the main amp chip or the rest of the amp circuitry.

For a portable build using another amp i would try this:

Connect the PS +:to the battery module's charge circuit + connection. Then a simple power on/off switch between the battery module's charging + connection and the power amp. All power grounds tied together.

With the PS not present and the switch off, the batteries remain in their last state of charge. The amp is off
              With the PS not present and the switch on, the batteries power the amp
              With the PS present and the switch off, the batteries charge.
              With the PS present and the switch on, the batteries charge and the amp is powered by the PS.

I'd use a DC jack on the portable to facilitate removing the PS when not attended (LiPo batteries can cause fires)..

The PS can be 24 V (15 V minimum). You'll get 4x the power out on a 24 V PS compared to running on the nominal 12 V, 3S LiPo module.

Power.jpg
              Last edited by Millstonemike; 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM. Reason: LiPo ...

Comment

Working...
              X