Any demand for a 3" dome midrange?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any demand for a 3" dome midrange?

Title basically says it all. Would be great for those of us who don't want to build a separate enclosure. Really helpful for transmission line builds.

MDM55 and EM1308 seem to be well loved. The tang band 75-1558SE didn't sell well but I think it's obvious why. One little poke and bye-bye mid-range, not to mention time alignment (still drool worthy). Most implementations I have seen seem to be people trying make a custom wave guide of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1136216.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1344774

On the other-hand the Volt and ATC SM75-150S are recessed making it easy to put a cover as necessary. And look super sexy,
    http://studio-hifi.com/images/ATC75-150S_JeffBagby.pdf

Name:	atc domes.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	905.3 KB
ID:	1344775

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1344777

So am I alone here? 380hz-3800khz crossover points. Excellent CSD and with todays Klippel, neodymium and FEA-optimized motors?
    Attached Files

A separate enclosure for a small format cone mid wouldn't be any larger than the backs of those ATC and Volt domes. Easy to make too if you just use PVC pipe components. But I do understand the desire to have it already done for you. Personally, if I wanted to cross as low as 380Hz I'd want a larger radiator than a 3" dome.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

Minus the fact you need to take out a mortgage for the ATC mids, but they are nice for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
        Minus the fact you need to take out a mortgage for the ATC mids, but they are nice for sure.
        ​This^ x2. Spendy little monsters but they do sound wonderful.
        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
        "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Do the dispersion patterns of the domes closely approximate that of tweeters or is there some other reason why these and some other dome midranges are so highly regarded?

Comment

Yes, wide dispersion from a dome shaped diaphragm, the benefits of which are debatable. The ATC domes are popular because they have amazing smooth response high sensitivity, low distortion, and high power handling from an underhung 3" voicecoil. The downside of the ATC dome is that the size of the flange and motor still made your tweeter distance no better than if you had used a 5" cone midrange.
            Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

The ATC and Volt make Accuton seem cheap.

By demand I was referring to an alternative option, in other words desire for a manufacturer such as Dayton, SBAcoustics, Transducer labs or any reputable manufacturer to provide a state of the art alternative at a reasonable price.

I do think Bagby has posted that the ATC's are his favorite mids despite the smaller surface area. Also, I would like to point out the ATC uses an old simple motor, nothing too advanced. Given advancements in technology am I the only one drooling at the possibility?

Comment

Well yes other than copyright issues on the ATC (it is a 1976 design? ) a competent engineering team, like the couple that left Scan to manufacture in Asia should
                ​be able to better the performance. Maybe it is the cost to do so vs. a really good cone mid that can be produced for less $$

Comment

Accuton drivers are domes for all intents and purposes. They're just inverted. And while it's not a 3" dome, the C51 Cell mid has to be the best mid I've ever heard. They classify it as a 2" tweeter and it certainly could be used as one. I've had the pleasure to design the crossover for a 3-way using the C220-6-222, the C51, and the RAAL 140-15D. The result is a system with nearly ruler flat response and amplifier-like distortion levels. The clarity and detail retrieved are other-worldly. I sure wish I could own a pair. But like any smaller dome, they are limited to crossovers around 700Hz and so need to be paired with exceptional woofers that can reach that high cleanly while providing bass. Anything larger than an 8" woofer and I'd opt to use a regular cone driver for midrange duty

Name:	ChrisV PS monitor.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1344907
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

Working...
                  X