Mark Audio Spec Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Audio Spec Question

I am hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having interpreting the spec sheet for the CHP-70 full-range driver. The spec has Vas as 5.02K mm/2. I have never run into this unit of measure and need to convert "K mm/2" to cm^2. Any insight, help, will be greatly appreciated.
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Well I just spent 2 min on google, pulled up the CHP-70 datasheet and read 4.7 litres, that's 4700 cm^3, or 4.7Kmm^3. Make sense? It's cubic for volume, not squared.

I also looked at the number above the VAS, the 5.02K mm^2 Sd spec...I think you can probably figure it out from here though ;)
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I have to fall on my sword now. The spec in question is Sd. Guess I had not fully engaged the brain before starting the topic. BTW, where did you find the spec? The "M" site has Vas as 5.17L.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

The only CHP-70 listed at the "M" site is the gen 2 and the Vas is 4.7 litres. That's also what is says in the datasheet at Mark Audio's website. Maybe you have the CHR-70? That one does in fact list 5.17 Litres...
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me, though I think my first question may have helplessly confused the issue.

Let me try again, Mark Audio lists Sd in "K mm/2." K mm/2 is not a unit of measure I am familiar with. Converting mm^2 to cm^2 is a trivial exercise that results in an area that is clearly not correct. The only other solution I can come up with is that "K" represents (1,000 * spec number)/2. This seems needlessly convoluted and in fact results in a value that is also clearly not correct.

Without knowing what the unit of measure is I am stuck having to use a previously published design. My preference is to design my own tapered box. Hopefully, this clarification corrects my initial miss-spoken post.

Thanks again for your insights.
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Yes, the K is indicating one thousand, 5020mm^2 is 50.2cm^2, sounds about right to me for a 4" driver. Some idiot put a division sign in the datasheet instead of a hat ^ to indicate squared, but we'll forget about that because we know that Sd is a measure of surface area. The idiot then put the measure in thousands of millimetres squared, which is very odd indeed. The number itself however appears about right for the driver.

Comment

Many thanks for your help and insights. In the mean time I'll work on my clarity of thought when asking questions. That should make the process much smoother.
              ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...
              X