All Esoteric speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    Kind of wish Dayton do a 9" version of these, or a woven cone RSS range.
    +1. A replacement for the tweeter would also be nice. Oh, and a midrange.

Comment

You are correct, I was mislead by the photo and the XO, which says 3

Comment

Back in 2014 I won an Esoteric ES-140 along with a Transducer Labs tweeter at the Iowa DIY. They're both going into a PE Design Team submission that I'll have ready in the next couple of months (ahhh, the masochism that is making that First Generation driver sound good). I understand that the 2nd Gen is much easier to use, but Gen 1 is in the personal inventory, so it gets used!

Comment

Well, not sure if the new versions are actually better. Less sensitivity too. Def glad I picked up a few pairs of the 'old' ES180s on clearance

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
            Well, not sure if the new versions are actually better. Less sensitivity too. Def glad I picked up a few pairs of the 'old' ES180s on clearance
            I agree. They lowered the peaks but the super smooth response was lost. And the ES180TI-8's peak at 3.5khz was not too bad and a rising response is easy to fix.

I recall once seeing a post of what direction to go in when technology already allows amplifier like distortions. I say woven cones and cones of beauty. And for tweeters the same but with improved impulse response.

This is what I would like to see:
            • 4-ohm models
            • The woven cone re-engineered. It's a beauty but the large spike on the ES140TI-8 is a bit tough to work with. The ES140TIA-8 and ES180TIA-8 compromised frequency response smoothness, necessitates a hefty tweeter and very low crossover.
            • Keep the motor design but post the 10khz Le and Klippel data on the PartsExpress site. It proved itself in VoiceCoil but it would benefit from additional info.
            • A woven Esoteric tweeter. It's possible and Transducer Labs managed it with Kevlar and Carbon Fiber.
            • A dedicated mid-range or at least a 4-ohm model with smooth response and no peak. Some may prefer a phase plug but I personally prefer the 3" dust cap for a mid.
            • Klippel and FEA optimized 2" and 3" domes. If possible a woven version although only if the breakup is not as bad as the RS52.
            • Larger Esoteric models, the ES180TI is really more like a 6". The Ultimax's are beauty's but have a very large surround that is not a cosmetic match and have a DVC.

Beauty shots of mine below, I bought four ES180TI's. I'll post some really interesting reading on cone material but first I need to know if posting a link to a VoiceCoil pdf I found online is legal. Is it fair game?

Comment

The usability issue with the ES180 is that it really needs to be used in parallel and it's more of a midbass than dedicated woofer. And the SD is also under most 7" drivers. Imo its best in a TMM or 3 way with small mid. If the latter, there's a tricky decision of which small mids to match it with, aesthetically and performance wise. Its such a beautiful driver that it deserves a good looking mid!

Comment

Working...
              X