Confirm a Faulty Tweeter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm a Faulty Tweeter?

I recently had a friend of mine ask if I could take a look at an old B&W center speaker for repairs. Voice coils for both woofers are open and a couple of the crossover caps have issues. The tweeter was still working, but the impedance measurement makes me think it has problems too. Does this measurement look bad?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tweeterimpedance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1345004

Probably fine. Does it have a waveguide, or was your hand in front of it perhaps when you measured? That would explain the double peak. In any case, the voicecoil isn't open, so play some music through it and enjoy.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Not necessarily. That can be indicative of a damped rear chamber.
      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

More like an underdamped rear chamber.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Thanks for the input. It does have a small waveguide. Probably just replace woofers and a couple capacitors and call it good then.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
            More like an underdamped rear chamber.
            Yep you are right. Auto correct be darned!
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Yea, prob'ly OK. I'd call Fs more like 1.7kHz though.

Comment

Working...
              X