No announcement yet.

Big Forest cut down? Swans disappeared!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Forest cut down? Swans disappeared!

I was wondering how long that thread would last. Pushing away customers from the PE forums doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's against the forum TOS in fact.
    Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

It sounds like a possible Chili Dog, to me.
      Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

I get that the drivers in those formerly mentioned kits and other speaker kits are available via PE, I get that. I just wonder how that is against the TOS when the kits themselves were/are not offered by PE.

Just trying to wrap my head around it,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Well my kit came in, and first thing I did was do an "out of the box" T/S sweep on the woofer - with a "Q" result of 1.33

Then, this:

Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs = 59.96 Hz
          Re = 6.88 ohms[dc]
          Le = 348.14 uH
          L2 = 715.36 uH
          R2 = 23.83 ohms
          Qt = 1.26
          Qes = 1.51
          Qms = 7.70
          Mms = 19.85 grams
          Rms = 0.971890 kg/s
          Cms = 0.000355 m/N
          Vas = 6.81 liters
          Sd= 116.90 cm^2
          Bl = 5.846426 Tm
          ETA = 0.09 %
          Lp(2.83V/1m) = 82.48 dB

Added Mass Method:
          Added mass = 25.00 grams
          Diameter= 12.20 cm

That was after 15 minutes at full Xmax at 50Hz followed by a ten minute cool down.

So, considering this, I will not be doing anything with the kit but cutting a different baffle and trying to sell the woofers on Ebay. Junk - it is like HiVi and Aurum Cantus are in an arm wrestling match to see who can sell the most unreliable $100 drivers.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

That was after 15 minutes at full Xmax at 50Hz followed by a ten minute cool down.
            Jonny,

I just received my kit as well. Do you have any directions in regards to how I can proceed with breaking-in the woofers? I was thinking about using Room Equalizer Wizard - Sine Wave Generator -->10W T-Amp. Would that work?

I have DATS to measure the TS parameters.

Thanks,
            D

Comment

That would work just fine. I am curious to see how yours measure. I might pull the other woofer out of the box and see how close it is. Maybe I just got a defective driver, but still... Irritates me that a company selling $100 drivers ever lets things get that far out of control. I know HiVi has their fanbase - but this is inexcusable. If PE can make their build house produce consistent quality on $10 drivers, there is absolutely no reason other than sheer disregard for the consumer that expensive drivers fail to such an extent as we have seen time and time again from HiVi and Aurum Cantus.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                I just wonder how that is against the TOS when the kits themselves were/are not offered by PE.

Wolf
                Because that's what it says.

For product mentions where the item is not available at Parts Express, the model number and brand may be mentioned, but no pricing, retailer or sub-retailer information may be included.
                I don't think it makes any sense, and it's not the kind of thing I expect to see in 2017, but it's their house, their rules.

Comment

Originally posted by zomby woof View Post
                  I don't think it makes any sense
                  It makes perfect sense. While it may not always appear so, this is a support forum, with the intent being to aid in choosing and using PE products. It's not a non-denominational search engine or message board.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Johnny,
                    Do the woofers have D6.8B labels?
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      It makes perfect sense. While it may not always appear so, this is a support forum, with the intent being to aid in choosing and using PE products. It's not a non-denominational search engine or message board.
                      That's right. You wouldn't go stand in front of Home Depot and hand out flyers for Walmart.

You can talk about products not available at PE all you want, just not the cost or where to buy them, especially direct links to sales pages.
                      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

They have labels that read D6.8 IIB. The tweeters have a similar designation. They are otherwise identical to the shelf stock drivers from what I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          Well my kit came in, and first thing I did was do an "out of the box" T/S sweep on the woofer - with a "Q" result of 1.33

Then, this:

Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs = 59.96 Hz
                          Re = 6.88 ohms[dc]
                          Le = 348.14 uH
                          L2 = 715.36 uH
                          R2 = 23.83 ohms
                          Qt = 1.26
                          Qes = 1.51
                          Qms = 7.70
                          Mms = 19.85 grams
                          Rms = 0.971890 kg/s
                          Cms = 0.000355 m/N
                          Vas = 6.81 liters
                          Sd= 116.90 cm^2
                          Bl = 5.846426 Tm
                          ETA = 0.09 %
                          Lp(2.83V/1m) = 82.48 dB

Added Mass Method:
                          Added mass = 25.00 grams
                          Diameter= 12.20 cm

So, considering this, I will not be doing anything with the kit but cutting a different baffle and trying to sell the woofers on Ebay. Junk - it is like HiVi and Aurum Cantus are in an arm wrestling match to see who can sell the most unreliable $100 drivers.

Interesting. I wonder if the IIB is a different version of the woofer. I had a pair of the D6.8 and they measured very close to spec.
                          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

According to tracking I should have my 3 way today. I'm not going to measure anything, just assemble it per the instructions and listen to it. I hope to be listening to these tomorrow and have them at the show this weekend. Once I've spent a little time with them, I'll make sure the drivers in the kit are still available (not a one off or a factory 2nd that they sell with the kit), take some measurements and get to work designing a xover. I'm thinking a 4 way would be awesome with this kit, but won't know until I listen to what I have.
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

​I don't post very often & was simply not thinking about TOS when I posted the re-priced $$. I won't do that again.

Comment

Working...
                              X