No announcement yet.

Big Forest cut down? Swans disappeared!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might make an ok car audio midbass or OB midwoofer..just a thought for a use for the woofers?

Back when I measured the specs of my m8n drivers I recall they were similar to each other but very different than the manufacturer specs; that said however, the box model came out pretty similar to the model from manufacturer specs.
    Last edited by dynamo; 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM.
    Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
    Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
    References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
    Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
      You wouldn't go stand in front of Home Depot and hand out flyers for Walmart.
      Walmart maybe, with their permission, but not Lowes.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Interesting. I wonder if the IIB is a different version of the woofer. I had a pair of the D6.8 and they measured very close to spec.
        That's what I was thinking.
        Craig

Comment

Cheaper kit = cheaper parts and drivers?

Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I had a pair of off the shelf F5 that were wildly different from advertised.

Not saying these are not factory seconds destined for kits only, but HiVi has a history of sh!tty QC at times. I find it far likelier that they are marked different to prevent unscrupulous d-bags from taking advantage of kit pricing by returning drivers for full price versions than due to built in inferior construction.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Posting the math to demonstrate would apparently be a violation of the PETT ToS, but I imagine most here can piece that puzzle together.

Comment

​Just measured one of the two woofers. I ran a 50hz tone for 20 mins, followed by a 10 min cool down period. My findings were similar to Jonny's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swans d6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	1345129

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dkalsi View Post

​Just measured one of the two woofers. I ran a 50hz tone for 20 mins, followed by a 10 min cool down period. My findings were similar to Jonny's.

Well... at least they're consistent, lol.
                  My modest builds:
                  Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                  Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                  Armadillo Center Channel
                  Au-Rock-O Sub
                  Tarkus
                  Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Is the two way worth keeping at this price? I would return to Amazon, but i'm afraid it would get us banned. My wife would kill me. Unfortunately I bought 2 sets. If they aren't worth building i guess I will have to eat them.
                    Last edited by Kered; 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I'm still going to build mine. I'm somewhat optimistic that they will sound better than most $125 speakers commercially bought. If nothing else, they will just get gifted one built.

Comment

Originally posted by Kered View Post
                        Is the two way worth keeping at this price? I would return to Amazon, but i'm afraid it would get us banned. My wife would kill me. Unfortunately I bought 2 sets. If they aren't worth building i guess I will have to eat them.
                        I don't have the links anymore and don't remember for sure, but didn't the two way use a different woofer than the ones measured above?
                        Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                        Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                        References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                        Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

The two way was the one I measured.

It isn't worth building the kit to me, personally, but the cabinet is pretty nice and should be easy enough to cut a new baffle and install good drivers. I should be able to move the drivers and crossover parts on Fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            It makes perfect sense. While it may not always appear so, this is a support forum, with the intent being to aid in choosing and using PE products. It's not a non-denominational search engine or message board.
                            I know exactly what it is, and not to belabour the point, but I think it's been made pretty obvious now why it's a bad policy.

So how was your DIY speaker shopping experience with the the big forest? Not so good? How about PE. If you'd ordered from PE and this happened how do you they would handle it? My guess is that it wouldn't happen with PE and you'll probably agree, but if something did, they would take care of it no questions asked. No?

So how does PE look now? Threads like these are great advertising for PE. I don't know how you could see it any other way.

FWIW I've been through this personally. I ran a forum and a business. Not to the same extent that PE does, but the situation was similar. I encouraged posting from and about other similar businesses because I had nothing to hide, and my products and services stood the test. I think that policy actually brought significant business to me.

Comment

I got my 3 ways built last night. I will say this was (by far) the most user-friendly kit I've ever seen. The cabinets were perfect, all cut with 45s, dados, and a center brace. Minimal clamping involved, mainly just glue and a pin nailer. From the time I opened the box to the time we were listening to these was about 2.5 hours... and that includes a trip to the beer store .

Only complaint I have (that I think was mentioned somewhere here regarding the 2 way too) is that it comes with a bi/amp binding post, but only has one input on their xover board. The xover board was awesome, it was an actual circuit board and all I had to do was poke the leads through the board and solder... zero thought involved. Making the xover so it had legitimate bi/amp capability wouldn't be overly difficult, but I wouldn't ever bi/amp, so why bother? I only brought it up because I don't like hokey things like having a bi/amp capable input that isn't bi/amp capable.

​As far as what really matters... they actually sound amazing. I expected a mildy harsh midrange and a bright tweeter, but I'm not hearing that at all. The mid/high blend is spectacular and they have amazing detail. They could easily be a pair of full range speakers in a 2 channel system, but I can't wait for these to get broke in and deliver some more bottom end, not they're really lacking right now (the L6 has the longest break-in I've ever seen in a woofer)... I'm just a bit of a bass head so having a bit more hammer on the bottom wouldn't be a bad thing. I didn't solder any of the wires from the xover to the speakers (just twisted them around the leads) because I wanted to leave them loose for when I wanted to manipulate the xover... but I wouldn't change a thing. We listened to them for about an hour, and I can't wait to spend some more time with them tonight.

​I will have these at the Meniscus show this weekend. I'm not going to measure a thing because I want to play them for everyone before I do that. After everyone hears them, I'll measure them so we can see what we're hearing ​.
                              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Just so I understand: what do the T/S measurements indicate? Why such a high Q?

​If they're unusable I'll probably just disassemble one to see how they're made?

Comment

Working...
                                X