Big Forest cut down? Swans disappeared!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    They have labels that read D6.8 IIB. The tweeters have a similar designation. They are otherwise identical to the shelf stock drivers from what I can tell.
    ​"IB" = "infinite baffle" ? Perhaps it's a variation of the driver with a high "Q" for mounting in a wall or something.
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by wayman View Post
      Just so I understand: what do the T/S measurements indicate? Why such a high Q?

​If they're unusable I'll probably just disassemble one to see how they're made?
      ​IMHO, you should definitely assemble yours and give a listen before you jump to conclusions or do anything like that, you might be surprised. I know our kits are entirely different, but my 3 way sounds really good. I'd forge ahead and not worry too much over... spilled milk that technically hasn't spilled yet ​, you might end up loving them. Tearing the drivers apart won't tell you much, if you want to do something like that go to a junkyard and get a few different speakers on the cheap.
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Yeh, i'd not want to do anything drastic. Give it a honest shot ... and you might be surprised. Maybe the cross over is optimized for this particular driver, and not the one being sold elsewhere. The cabinets are of excellent quality, and nothing in there looks cheap.

Comment

Model the driver I posted measurements for in 0.5 cubic feet with a 2" x 5" vent.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

The two way was the one I measured.
            Ah, thanks, my bad
            Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
            Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
            References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
            Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Zomby:
              Get out of my head!! My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Model the driver I posted measurements for in 0.5 cubic feet with a 2" x 5" vent.
                Plug the port and enjoy ;)
                Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post

Plug the port and enjoy ;)
                  Wow, hadn't thought of that :-p
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I bought the 3 way kit and sent it to my father as a gift. I've told him to hold off on assembling it until I get some opinions on the stock crossover and whether or not it can be improved. Sounds like the stock crossover is at least decent given mattsk8's comments, but I'm still interested in seeing some measurements and further analysis.

The most similar, fully assembled version of the 3 way kit called the m3 has been reviewed by this publication: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans/swans.html
                    It's a purely subjective review as it offers no measurements, but it doesn't sound like the author was very impressed with the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by somz View Post
                      The most similar, fully assembled version of the 3 way kit called the m3 has been reviewed by this publication: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/swans/swans.html
                      It's a purely subjective review as it offers no measurements, but it doesn't sound like the author was very impressed with the speakers.
                      "Soft time focus?" Who is writing that nonsense? Why did I read it?

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

Haha ​, funny!!

​So I spent a lot more time listening at my house, on my system, in my room last night and my opinion has changed a smidge. I'm not sure if it was beer-muffs, or the front end supplying the power, or the room change from where I was listening last time, but the midrange in these is a tad annoying, it's too forward IMO. I was going to keep my opinions to myself until I played them at Meniscus, but given somz statement I figured I'd post. Not sure if playing with a resistor in the xover would help- maybe pad the mid a little more or raise the tweeter?? They're a touch veiled but this could be the due to the mid being too loud (random guess, I still haven't measured them). I did deliver some juice to them, about 5/8 on the volume knob via my Aragon amp. I might have had one of the speakers stinking a tad bit . But... man that L6-4R is capable, very nice in the bass. I'm liking the idea of a 3-way using that.

​So... I think playing with xover is justified at this point. Not sure if or when I'll get around to that though. They aren't really offensive, just not "awesome". Might just give them to my daughter so she has something she can listen to in her bedroom.
                        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                        "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

Haha ​, funny!!

​So I spent a lot more time listening at my house, on my system, in my room last night and my opinion has changed a smidge. I'm not sure if it was beer-muffs, or the front end supplying the power, or the room change from where I was listening last time, but the midrange in these is a tad annoying, it's too forward IMO. I was going to keep my opinions to myself until I played them at Meniscus, but given somz statement I figured I'd post. Not sure if playing with a resistor in the xover would help- maybe pad the mid a little more or raise the tweeter?? They're a touch veiled but this could be the due to the mid being too loud (random guess, I still haven't measured them). I did deliver some juice to them, about 5/8 on the volume knob via my Aragon amp. I might have had one of the speakers stinking a tad bit . But... man that L6-4R is capable, very nice in the bass. I'm liking the idea of a 3-way using that.

​So... I think playing with xover is justified at this point. Not sure if or when I'll get around to that though. They aren't really offensive, just not "awesome". Might just give them to my daughter so she has something she can listen to in her bedroom.
                          It will be interesting to see how these things measure.

Maybe the people at the gathering could write some comments on cards (anonymous is fine) and then see how the comments compare to the subsequent measurements.

Comment

I asked Hivi about the driver discrepancy, and was told that this was a different driver made specially for the kit. It is based off of the old driver, but not identical.

Comment

Is it possible to re-cone the woofer?

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

Haha. Here are some other great lines from the review that I need help understanding:

"Think rim shots, slap bass, string plucks, brass staccatos. I think of that as a speaker's plosive power. It's a vital element of resolution and generally related to rhythmic accuracy, beat fidelity or timing precision. "

"Due to the textile dome's not merely physical prominence, plosives within its core zone could be somewhat highlighted."

"The M3's time focus was softer than realistic... It was more fundamental and telegraphed as virtual cotton batting around musical energy to insert distance."

"My reactive impulse at first was to crank the volume as though it would overcome this drag resistance. Higher volumes did become more compelling—they often do—but of course couldn't address this aspect. Combined with the textural warmth from the elevated midband that was firmly centered on the exposed dome, the M3 was cuddly and soft focus."

Comment

Working...
                                X