No announcement yet.

Budget Tower Design - To Make Use of 48 Drivers - Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This used 2 of those MCM 58-4790 woofs and the BIC/Vifa 3/4" tweet. I'd have to open them up to get the values I used in the series crossover.

Comment

Photo taken today, originally built in 2000. You can see the backside of a Dayton 500watt sub amp driving a BluePrint BP1201 vented.

Comment

Originally posted by rickpepper View Post
        I'm in the southern half of Minnesota. I had a working "WineBottler" build of WinISD running under OS X 10.6.8 but since had to upgrade and it relied on Rosetta. Tried doing a new build but couldn't make it work, and I can't seem to get WinISD Online to work on a Mac anymore (most likely a Java issue.).
        I'm in the middle of Iowa if you want to bring them down or ship them to be measured. Send me a PM if that might work for you.

Ron
        C-Note Iron Driver Build
        The Lydias
        The Cherry π's
        The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
        My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

rickpepper

Room EQ Wizard (REW) will run natively on IOS.
          I think I saw somewhere that it can run an impedance sweep (for T/S params and crossover design)

I'd suggest dumping those mylar tweeters - there is a huge difference between $3 tweeters and $15 tweeters.
          Those Vifa tweeters would be great for this project.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
            rickpepper

I think I saw somewhere that it can run an impedance sweep (for T/S params and crossover design)

I'd suggest dumping those mylar tweeters - there is a huge difference between $3 tweeters and $15 tweeters.

iOS is for the iPhone and iPad. OSX-MacOS is for Macs. There is a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
              rickpepper

​So, you have experience with those $3 Mylar tweeters?

Comment

@: I'm an Apple guy across the board, so I can look into donradick's suggestion. But donradick do tell what you know about those tweets, please. Ron_E thank you for the offer I may very well contact you PM soon, it's interesting that your profile photo is kind of where I was wanting to go with these drivers. Bill Fitzmaurice has tons of (PA) designs using the lowly Motorola Piezo's, but because they're configured as a line source vs. point source, evidently they are up to the task, I wonder if these Mylar's can be configured similarly for better results, that's my $64,000 question.

Comment

Rick (and AE) - I don't have any experience with those specific mylar tweeters.
                  In general, I don't think it's productive use of time to try to make a $3 tweeter sound good when a $10 tweeter sounds much better.
                  YYMV

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by rickpepper View Post
                    ... using the lowly Motorola Piezo's, ...
                    Actually the piezos used are cheap copies of the original Motorola models. As such there is very large variations in manufacturing tolerances and performance.
                    Guys who assembly arrays of these are required to sort through and discard at least 10%.
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Actually the piezos used are cheap copies of the original Motorola models. As such there is very large variations in manufacturing tolerances and performance.
                      Guys who assembly arrays of these are required to sort through and discard at least 10%.
                      Yes, the original Motorola were note worthy, legendary. Not so with all the junk coming from China.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post
                        ...original Motorola...
                        Recalling an early article: Motorola sold all piezo business to CTS in the early 90s; CTS ceased production over 10 years ago.
                        There hasn't been a lot of new relevant development.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

It's been my experience that piezos ring horribly. I took one apart and it was just a paper cone glued to the piezo element.

Ron
                          C-Note Iron Driver Build
                          The Lydias
                          The Cherry π's
                          The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                          My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Working...
                          X