Dedicated Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Laptop

For those of you looking for an inexpensive laptop to install your speaker measuring and design software on, this seems like a good deal for $349:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-17-...ec:product:1:7
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Yeah I sometimes wonder just how much computing power we should have, for all our loudspeaker measuring needs.

Comment

An old XP machine at half that price works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
        An old XP machine at half that price works just fine.
        Ugh - who would want to use XP on purpose these days? :-)

​I've got an XP VM on my main Win10 PC, but the only purpose for its existence is to run Akabak.

Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

You can get some decent refurbished i5 laptops for around $200. I picked up a Dell e6330 from a local computer/electronics recycling place a few years ago with Win 7 Pro. Not the greatest display, but works just fine for DSP control, ARTA, and WinPCD.
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post
            Yeah I sometimes wonder just how much computing power we should have, for all our loudspeaker measuring needs.
            Yup, computing power is not the main thing for this particular purpose.

​The HP laptop linked to at the top of this thread looks fine, but it's a bit big for what I'd consider a test PC, and the screen resolution is an unusual choice for a screen that big.

​My old Dell XPS12 from the office is working Ok as a test rig, but it only has two ports (I'd prefer four) and the battery life isn't all that great. The touch screen sure comes in handy though .

Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
            X