Finishing MDF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
    Mitered corner joints and vinyl wrap, duratex on the baffle, easiest finish job ever. Something to consider for future projects.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1345629[/ATTACH]
    ​That duratex coat looks sweet....!
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

​That duratex coat looks sweet....!
      Thanks! It's pretty amazing stuff, I love it. Super easy to work with, and pretty hard to screw up, even for a hack like me. Their foam rollers are also very nice, I notice they wash off exceptionally well, so they can be re-used quite a bit.
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Update: i have the cabs sanded to 220. I don't recommend using undiluted glue, or at least in the manner i did, because it making sanding difficult. I was able to get away with one coat but using my ROS and just hand sanding was able to heat and melt the glue in a could areas. It wasnt horrible and i was able to fix them, but i can see using two thinner coats could make this process smoother Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I only use a single thin coat. If you try to put another on it just sits on the top. I guess a second coat could be handy if you missed spots but it isn't too hard to get complete coverage with a single coat without missing spots.

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
            Update: i have the cabs sanded to 220. I don't recommend using undiluted glue, or at least in the manner i did, because it making sanding difficult. I was able to get away with one coat but using my ROS and just hand sanding was able to heat and melt the glue in a could areas. It wasnt horrible and i was able to fix them, but i can see using two thinner coats could make this process smoother Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            ​Yup, that's been my experience using undiluted glue as well. I use a 50/50 (or even thinner) mix for ply, but MDF does pose a challenge - make it too thin and the MDF just absorbs it and starts swelling.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
              I only use a single thin coat. If you try to put another on it just sits on the top. I guess a second coat could be handy if you missed spots but it isn't too hard to get complete coverage with a single coat without missing spots.
              ​I coat until it starts beading on the surface, indicating that the surface is properly sealed. Thinned wood glue cleans up easily with a damp cloth (before it dries), so I just wipe off the excess when that happens.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                Trigger-caps really he!p! No sore fingers! I use Elmer's white glue straight, no water. Don't sand heavy handed, or the resin will melt and flake if it went on too thick. Use a roller or brush to apply the glue thinly and evenly.
                Later,
                Wolf
                Do you think I could get away with sponging the stuff on?

After an awfully long break, I'm trying this "speaker building" thing again, and my first project is already showing MDF seams...

Comment

You could just rub it in with your fingers. I used to do it that way before I started using a brush, and only on the edges. Now I coat the entire cabinet to seal it, but just a coat to get coverage. I don't lay it on thick.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                  X