Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bose 802 replacement. What would you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bose 802 replacement. What would you do?

My Father has been using a pair of Bose 802 speakers since the late 80's. Recently he has stopped using them because they are so heavy and require a decent amount of set up. I think he would like to be able to carry his own sound system again but if he is going to it will need to be light weight and do the same work as the Bose did.
    Most of the venues are small to medium churches and these speakers will only be used for light music and vocal broadcast, not a rock concert.
    My proposed solution is 6 Dayton pc105-4 speakers per side in a line array.
    Is it realistic that 6 of those Dayton drivers 90.3 dB 2.83V/1m total ohm load of 4.95 could keep up with 8 of those Bose 91.5 dB 1W/1m 6.8 ohm total load?

​ I know that on this forums Bose=Blows I'm not looking to go down that road please help me keep this on point.

Thanks for the help!

Just compare the SD of six Daytons against what's in the Boses. 2 8inchers if I remember. Within a third or so, no problem, just eq out the bass you can't do, to save the power & not cause unproductive motion.
    If these(boses) are what I think, the boxes are very nice. I redid a pair(801s) blown out in a gym with peerless drivers(wtmw) in the 80's. Still going.

Comment

I'd burn the BOSE, that's what I'd do!

Comment

Alan's flippant comment notwithstanding, I'd think your line array idea has serious merit, IF you're planning to incorporate the appropriate tweeter(s) into the array, and are willing to do the crossover work to make it at least acceptable, if not great. But just a line of fullrangers is going to be a disappointment, IMHO.

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
          Alan's flippant comment notwithstanding, I'd think your line array idea has serious merit, IF you're planning to incorporate the appropriate tweeter(s) into the array, and are willing to do the crossover work to make it at least acceptable, if not great. But just a line of fullrangers is going to be a disappointment, IMHO.

Mark
          The problem I think will be anything but vocals. A line array of 8 3FE25s is going to produce pretty reasonable output down to 100hz, but anything below that and you start running into problems real fast.

That said, a small 2-way system might be a pretty good solution. The Tymphany FSL-0818R01 is inexpensive, efficient, works in a small box, and can take a ton of power - just as long as you don't want much bass. A single 8" driver in a ~0.5 cubic foot box will produce a ton of output - just so long as you put a high-pass on it.

A pair of these into a conventional mono mixer-amp would be a smaller, lighter alternative with very good output.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
            Is it realistic that 6 of those Dayton drivers 90.3 dB 2.83V/1m total ohm load of 4.95 could keep up with 8 of those Bose 91.5 dB 1W/1m 6.8 ohm total load
            Yes. The Bose are 1 ohm drivers series wired, so system sensitivity is the same as that of one driver. Wired series/parallel six of the daytons would have higher sensitivity than the eight Bose drivers.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Is a system w/ six of the Dayton drivers really going to be much smaller/lighter than the 802 (36-pounds)?

Maybe being a line array they'd be easier/less awkward to carry (being long and thin).

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                ...Most of the venues are small to medium churches and these speakers will only be used for light music and vocal broadcast, not a rock concert....
                How big are these ( volume )? Got an idea how loud ( db ).
                As a reference a bi-amped 22lb cab with an 8" woofer works for 24,000 cu ft for vocals & guitar.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                  a small 2-way system might be a pretty good solution. The Tymphany FSL-0818R01 is inexpensive, efficient, works in a small box, and can take a ton of power - just as long as you don't want much bass. A single 8" driver in a ~0.5 cubic foot box will produce a ton of output - just so long as you put a high-pass on it.
                  ​I like this idea. My Blastoramas are 8" 2-ways and they work well. Each cab is 23lbs, a bit lighter than the 36lb 802.

​You can make the cab even lighter by opting for one of the neo-magnet 8" pro audio drivers and corresponding neo-magnet compression driver, but this will up the cost of the cabinet by quite a bit.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Funny this thred shows up this morning as I just repaired an 802( I work at Bose, for those that donít know this yet) and have 2 more to go. Those cabs are pretty light for a speaker that size, Itís gonna be hard to DIY a lighter unit than that since itís a composite enclosure. The driver they use is petty efficient, aluminum flat wire voice coil, stiff paper cone.
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post

​I like this idea. My Blastoramas are 8" 2-ways and they work well. Each cab is 23lbs, a bit lighter than the 36lb 802.

​You can make the cab even lighter by opting for one of the neo-magnet 8" pro audio drivers and corresponding neo-magnet compression driver, but this will up the cost of the cabinet by quite a bit.

The FSL 8s will work in some really tiny boxes - seriously, only about 0.4 cu ft (plus woofer and port volume.) Bass extension is abysmal, but tuning high means hundreds of watts without running out of Xmax.

Of course, you need some sort of high pass to keep them from exploding if someone decides to play Skrillex, but DSP is getting cheap...

Comment

http://projectgallery.parts-express....s/konnections/

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post

The FSL 8s will work in some really tiny boxes - seriously, only about 0.4 cu ft (plus woofer and port volume.) Bass extension is abysmal, but tuning high means hundreds of watts without running out of Xmax.

Of course, you need some sort of high pass to keep them from exploding if someone decides to play Skrillex, but DSP is getting cheap...
                          ​0.4 cu.ft.? That's pretty small. The Blastorama cabs are about 0.86 cu.ft. net (including the space taken up by driver, vent and bracing). I took a slightly different approach with them though. Fb is 60 Hz, the intent being to actively "lift" the response down to Fb with DSP if I was running them without a subwoofer. Power-handling is of course lower than if I used a smaller box and higher tuning, but at 96dB/1W/1M, you don't need much power to get them going anyway, and the Beta 8A's suspension does do a pretty good job of keeping the cone in check.

​If I was doing this over, and I had a bigger budget to work with, I'd be looking at one of those B&C 8" neo bass drivers. 7mm Xmax. That could move some air...

Brian Steele
                          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Maybe buy versus build in this case ... many of the newer PA systems have plastic enclosures to save weight (and musicians backs). And custom plastic cases are beyond the reach of most all DIYer's. And there are many to choose from to suit needs and budget.

Comment

Maybe some handles on the boses for now(while you decide what to do)?

Comment

Working...
                              X