No announcement yet.

How Much Baffle Step Compensation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never put too much thought into BSC (other than knowing what it is and how it works). I usually get a good measurement outdoors and sim that to a flat response (technically full BSC), then measure in room, tweak till it is near flat, and then voice it.

Comment

You can see how much BSC you've effectively added by looking at the woofers' crossover transfer function.
      Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
        You can see how much BSC you've effectively added by looking at the woofers' crossover transfer function.
        I agree except often there's more than 6db due to rising response and/or the common diffraction around 1 kHz that increases output. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

You don't see that in the transfer function.
          Craig

Comment

FWIW, I assume everyone here knows I don't design my own crossovers, most of which have been expertly designed by Dan Neubecker. I specify 3-3.5 dB of BSC primarily because I'm forced to place my speakers with their backs close to the wall, varying from 5-9" depending on the cabinets' depths. That works out very well in my listening environment, the living room part of our so-called great room, yet the bass from my speakers never sounds lacking (to me) when played at DIY venues like InDIYana and MWAF, or much less ever sounding boomy (those of you who have heard them may think differently and are free to express that).
            Paul

Comment

How do your crossover designers Dan Neubecker and Rick Craig design your crossovers with 3.0 - 3.5 dB BSC without measuring your speakers in your living room? Briefly talking to Dan last year he said you ship him one completed speaker to measure and design from. I'm intrigued because you guys seem to always win at MWAF.
              Craig

Comment

How do your crossover designers Dan Neubecker and Rick Craig design your crossovers with 3.0 - 3.5 dB BSC without measuring your speakers in your living room? Briefly talking to Dan last year he said you ship him one completed speaker to measure and design from. I'm intrigued because you guys seem to always win at MWAF.
                This was also what I was curious about in my earlier posts. I just suck at wording questions.

Comment

Baffle step is independent of the room. Room interaction will mitigate its effect on the signal heard at the listening position, but the step itself is a fixed number, based on baffle width, and its effect is easy to simulate. Thus, a given level of compensation can be readily applied.
                  You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Well said, Mark!
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

You'd have to get more details from Dan on this, Craig, but I do believe he also includes somewhere in the process positioning the cabinet he's working with close to the wall like it will sit in my home. Also, he's done this design process at least 6 times for me, so he has learned what's necessary for both my situation and my l preferences. Beyond that he just works his magic!
                      Paul

Comment

Can Diffraction problems in loudspeaker enclosures be solved by a combination of careful electronics engineering and careful aiming of loudspeaker drivers to eliminate diffraction effects?
                        The short answer is NO. But Why ?

What do you think of this article:

http://www.usenclosure.com/Diffracti..._problems.html

Comment

Also, Keele [6], investigating the performance of Bessel Arrays concluded that an array of two loudspeakers simply connected in-parallel, exhibits maximum SPL increase of 6dB, but only up to a frequency where the sources are about 1/4 wavelength apart.
                          A side note: That is often overlooked: Increasing sound sources creates spatial offset which reduces the effective passband.
                          Page 78 of Electroacoustical Reference Data by John Eargle ( Normalized Mutual Coupling for Multiple Pistons )

( Hurrah for Huygens - he explains diffraction )
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

You don't see that in the transfer function.
                            You should. If you kill all of the diffraction bump, baffle step, and any rising response then the transfer function will show it as a downward slope in the baffle step region greater than 6db. Not sure why it wouldn't. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Yes you are correct. If you used a notch to eliminate the defraction hump then yeah that would show up on the transfer function. I wasn't thinking about that when I posted.
                              Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X