Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peerless TC9FD18: A severe dissapointment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What kind of filtering did you put on the dayton?

    Comment


    • #17
      I heard Craig's (PWR RYD) speakers at SD DIY and thought they sounded great. Using the ND105-4 for bass duties instead of another Peerless was a definite upgrade. Here's a pic of the speakers. They sounded very open and did very well even in a large room.
      Craig - did you ever do a write up on those? I have those same drivers in the bunker and was thinking about a little 3-way near-field for my video editing system at work. But from the comments, it sounds like a tweeter isn't even needed.
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

      Comment


      • #18
        Hi Tom, no, never a write up. But I can dig through my files and get you all the details. I can even bring the speakers to Iowa in 20 days for you to hear. They are nice and small
        Craig

        Comment


        • #19
          Thanks Craig - that would be above & beyond. I would love to hear them!

          20 days....I better get cracking on finishing my entry!
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            Hi Tom, no, never a write up. But I can dig through my files and get you all the details. I can even bring the speakers to Iowa in 20 days for you to hear. They are nice and small
            I'd like to hear them again.
            Kenny

            http://www.diy-ny.com/
            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

            Comment


            • #21
              I'd like to see / hear them too!

              Comment


              • #22
                Does anyone have the FRD/ZMA for these?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  Hi Tom, no, never a write up. But I can dig through my files and get you all the details.
                  I'd be interested in that info. I have a surplus of those drivers and wanted to to pair them together but haven't gotten around to it yet

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                    Does anyone have the FRD/ZMA for these?
                    ​Like measured at home responses?

                    The manufacturer's data sheet is here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JerriAZ View Post

                      ​Like measured at home responses?

                      The manufacturer's data sheet is here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

                      "There are lies, damn lies, and manufacturers' specifications."

                      I need to get the hang of PCD, and I figure a good first project would be a 1.5-way using these drivers. I'm hoping to use a very small ported box with a cap to prevent the resulting huge bump in response, but if the impedance is off, my whole plan is bupkis.

                      It'd make a heck of a 5.1 satellite if I could figure it out, though. Not much penalty with turning a 1.5-way on its' side.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post


                        "There are lies, damn lies, and manufacturers' specifications."

                        I need to get the hang of PCD, and I figure a good first project would be a 1.5-way using these drivers. I'm hoping to use a very small ported box with a cap to prevent the resulting huge bump in response, but if the impedance is off, my whole plan is bupkis.

                        It'd make a heck of a 5.1 satellite if I could figure it out, though. Not much penalty with turning a 1.5-way on its' side.
                        lol :D
                        ​Unfortunately I don't have any measurements on hand. I'm sure someone else here has some floating around...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Check out this thread
                          Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

                            I used them in a hybrid open baffle design where they were the open baffle and played midrange and up. I used a Dayton ND105-4 in a bass reflex box below them to do the heavy lifting. I think that project turned out really nice and I got some positive feedback on them at SD DIY.

                            Still interested in some details on your build.

                            I tried them as bass reinforcement for the Brio clones, and they were just ok, maybe a little overwhelmed, though I didn't have the components on hand to go as low as I wanted. I used them (ND105 in 8L BR) yesterday and last night in my shop crossed at about 900-1000hz to a pair of TG9's in a 3L cabinet and it sounds like that has some potential.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                              "There are lies, damn lies, and manufacturers' specifications."
                              New favorite phrase! Thanks Spastic!
                              Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                              Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                              The Super Bees - Garage 2 way

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hmmm, 30 some years ago one of my college professors said "There are lies, damn lies, then statistics." Sounds similar.
                                Craig

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X