20hz from a $20 Sub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20hz from a $20 Sub?

I recently got a GRS 10 SW-4. I was surprised when it modeled to around 20hz ported. I didn't quite believe it, so I broke it in, retested it with Dats V2, and then built a box around it. Here is video log of it. A picture of the sim and a picture of the tested results. The results where taken in my open basement. There is a definite loss on the low end. But I wanted to share my results. If the box didn't ahve to be so huge, this might have been a pretty good budget sub. Although, you could build this into a coffee table or put 4 of them behind an acoustic wall. You would need to DSP it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20 winisd.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1347019

Attached Files
    Last edited by Altoid; 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM.
    All about Speaker Design YouTube Channel

I just built two in 1-cf sealed boxes (fully stuffed with fiberglass) and am very satisfied. Use is music.

Comment

Nice! I was pleasantly surprised myself. I did not expect much from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Altoid View Post
        Nice! I was pleasantly surprised myself. I did not expect much from them.
        If it weren't for the positive reviews, the price would have scared me off.

Comment

Did you close mic it to see if the results matched the models, or did you mic it in an arbitrary position in a rectangle room?

These are a tremendous value driver.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            Did you close mic it to see if the results matched the models, or did you mic it in an arbitrary position in a rectangle room?

These are a tremendous value driver.
            That's a good question. I couldn't close mic it as close as I would have liked. It was in about a 1000 square foot room ad probably about 7500 cubic foot room. I did not realize my Umik-1 used a 3/8 nut while camera tripods only offer a 1/4 nut. So I eventually have to buy an adapter. Anyway, to answer your question, it was about 1-2 feet away (I had to prop it up on a box and did not want to cover any of the ports). It also was not directly center. It was tilted up about 15 degrees to get as close to center as I could. It definitely was not an ideal measurement.

Comment

Try it in a 3-4cu ft box, tuned to 20-24hz. You'll roll off earlier but still have a lot under the curve.

Comment

Here are the T/S parameters for anyone interested.

Comment

Drivers with a high qts always give a low F3 - you don't have to pay for that as long as you don't mind a large box. What you do pay for is higher quality, lower distortion, higher output, etc. With that said, this particular sub is actually pretty decent in all these categories for $20. Models decent in a sealed enclosure too as Phil noted.

Dan
                  The Hurricanes
                  The Baronettes
                  Conneccentric
                  UX3

Comment

Great point DanP! I must say, I never gave this sub much thought. But for the price tag, I'd have to agree it is quite a good sub. I am glad I gave it a shot. I may go ahead and build a sealed box for this sub, with some walnut inlay to match my soundbar I built not too long ago.

I have a living room that had a really cheap Samsung sound bar that we picked up with a gift card a few years back. But I have always wanted to design and build a

Comment

These GRS drivers look to be the same units as used in the Parts Express subwoofers, no?

Comment

Johnny R is this the same driver you reviewed a couple years back ? I also think it is the woofer that Jay 1 and I teamed up for Irondriver comp. I still have them and
                        feel you could get away from needing a sub for most applications.

Comment

Yessir it sure is.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                            These GRS drivers look to be the same units as used in the Parts Express subwoofers, no?
                            Actually...no.

The drivers in our budget powered subwoofers are not available separately.
                            Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post

Actually...no.

The drivers in our budget powered subwoofers are not available separately.
                              Thanks for the clarification on that, Matt!

Comment

Working...
                              X