Too many tweeters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many tweeters?

48 of the FPS tweeters that All Electronics had for $1 each. 32 2" woofers.. This is not going to be fun to wire up. Each tweeter has a small chamber filled with cotton.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1347072

Name:	partial.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1347074

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Yikes!
    Are you going to solder the leads Neil? I don't have one of those automatic wire strippers, but I'd consider getting one if I had THAT job ahead of me.

The cabinet looks real nice, I like the joinery showing on the bottom of the first pic.
    I kind of like the look of the tweeters also with the square grills.
    It's about 6' 2" tall or so?

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

More pictures Neil, more ... more ... more ...
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

When I build the Stentorians with 6 midbass drivers per side, I thought that was too many. Too much routing, and too much screwing as well with each driver needing 8 screws. I decided to not go that route again, if I want high SPL I'll just get a 12" pro audio driver.

What are the tweeters? I see a square grill, are they a cone tweeter underneath?
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Glutton for punishment? Are the baffles solid Cherry hardwood? I assume you have. x-over and amplification decided.

Comment

Maybe you hire a college intern to do the wiring.

Are you going to use terminal blocks to terminate the drivers?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

The tweeters are made by FPS--each one is 1-1/8" by 1-1/4". They use a printed diaphragm and 4 neo magnets--see the picture. They seem to have good sound quality from what little testing I've done.

Name:	Flat_panel.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1347149

Each side gets connected to a 20-channel amp (40 channels for stereo). Each amp has 3 ADAU1701 DSP chips to provide delay and crossovers and volume control. The line array has a total of 24 tweeter zones--12 at the top and 12 at the bottom, symmetrical about the center point. There are 16 woofer zones--8 on top and 8 on the bottom. The top and bottom symmetrical pairs share the same amp, so that is why there are 20 amps (12 tweeter amps and 8 woofer amps).

​The idea is to be able to apply delay to each zone independently, which will allow making the array appear curved. It there is more delay in the middle zones, the curvature will be concave, and "focus" the array on a single sweet spot. If there is more delay in the outer zones, the curvature will be convex, emulating a CBT design. I would like to be able to move a slider and change the effective curvature from concave to flat to convex.

​The only reason I finished off this part of the project is that the amps have been done for about a year, and I'm trying to finish off some old projects. The amps all seem to work, but there will be some new software to control the DSP. That's going to take a while still.

​The wiring probably won't be that bad. I've got some prefab cables that go from the amps to some 12-pin connectors, and then I'll need to wire the speakers to the mating connectors. As long as I stay careful about labelling everything it might not be too bad.

​The arrays look stupidly long in the picture, but they are resting on a 4' table, and they aren't as tall as I am. The section with the drivers is 65".

​Unfortunately, I screwed up and didn't buy quite enough tweeters to finish the second array--I'm 4 short. I bought the drivers about 3 years ago, and they are no longer available at All Electronics. But I think they will show up on eBay eventually, and it's possible I've got a few more hidden away in the attic. I'll check when I get back home tomorrow.

​Yes, the cabinets are made from solid 7/8" cherry, but the wood went through many passes on the table saw with the dado blade to cut out channels for the drivers. Also, the back panel got "slimmed down" in the center to make the cabinet a bit lighter and to increase the cabinet volume. You can see the amount of cutting by all the corners and curves in that top cap. I'll post some other construction pics later.
              Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                The tweeters are made by FPS--each one is 1-1/8" by 1-1/4". ....
                Is this it?

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I'd suggest 10 gauge internal wiring, Neil. That should work best. Get to work.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                    Can't hurt but isn't that a bit of overkill especially for tweeters?

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Is this it?
                      ​yes, but with the larger FPS arrays that peak at 8KHz gets progressively smaller, so I don't know what to expect from this design. I'll have plenty of DSP available to make corrections if necessary. And the sensitivity isn't a problem with this many motors contributing to the array.

When I just listened to one driver, the sound had good "clarity", so I'm hoping for good results. But sometimes these experiments don't work out. I'll just have to see.

Comment

It is too many. When I built my line array it took forever. At least you didn't have to cut the flanges on the tweeters like I did with my ND20FA's so that I could get a .83 inch CTC. But I see you put each midrange into it's own enclosure like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                          ​Based on sense of humor, you and I would get along nicely
                          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                          Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

Can't hurt but isn't that a bit of overkill especially for tweeters?
                            I was just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post

​Based on sense of humor, you and I would get along nicely
                              It is too bad we're all so far away from one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X