Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Heart reaches out to those in Las Vegas. What happened?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

Imagine a crowd full of Good Guys with Guns shooting at the Mandalay Bay hotel.
    I used to live in Las Vegas, and I know people who were working across the street when this went down. A friend of mine knew two of the victims - and, through work, the shooter.

Today, I live in a grim neighborhood. My life is not going so well, and I live on the set of Breaking Bad - very literally. My neighbor was carjacked at gunpoint outside our apartment building. A few months ago, I was nearly creamed by a drive by. I'd like to see less guns in the world.

But I also accept that friends and acquaintances must live and work in this hole. Realistically inconveniencing a terrorist bent on mass slaughter would require taking the guns from people obliged to concealed carry to work. And I don't feel comfortable doing that.

If you want to make a better world, fine. But now is a time for mourning. If only for a while, let it rest.

Comment

Originally posted by hudelson2 View Post
      I think there is woeful lack of access to mental health care access in the United States..
      Access is not likely the issue here. Guy was very wealthy and certainly could afford any sort of insurance policy.

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Before the police identified the killer I was poking around a few sites to see if a name had popped up -sadly a right wing mob section of the web had named the wrong guy, someone who shared the surname of the gf, and it went viral. Not cool.

Hey spasticteapot, sorry to hear things aren't great where you are

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
          Before the police identified the killer I was poking around a few sites to see if a name had popped up -sadly a right wing mob section of the web had named the wrong guy, someone who shared the surname of the gf, and it went viral. Not cool.
          ...and this is how conspiracy theories start - of which there are already several floating around. Similar to the astounding stupidity of the "birther" movement and the unbelievably asinine conspiracies surrounding Sandy Hook, we can expect to see quite a bit of dumba$$ery flowing from this event.

It is tragic - but to be completely honest, not unexpected in this day and age. People, for whatever reason, are allowed access to the tools to carry out these things and see the inevitable widespread coverage and chaos it creates. Monsters thrive on these things. Expect them to increase in number, not decrease.

If we do not look inside at every possible area of our culture that breeds these monsters, we are complicit in their actions.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Johnny I hope you are not casting doubt upon Alex Jones, the man is a genius. He broke up the pizzagate conspiracy and probably saved hundreds of kids from being
            ​sex slaves for god sake. And how do you know Sandy Hook was not an inside job, wake up dude. Hey if our own president supports this guys beliefs what kind of
            ​unpatriotic, tree hugging liberal would I be, huh johnny? Where is your birth certificate comrade? If nothing changes after congress has a minute of silence and prayer
            ​like they do regularly for this issue while thinking about how much more cash the Death lobby is willing to fork over to protect my rights to buy weapons of mass carnage.

Comment

No one is responsible except the person who perpetrates these acts. No organization, no manufacturer, or political leader. This county has embraced and become devoid of the concept of personal responsibility. There are many instruments of mass violence and have been since the beginning of time. The blaming of everyone or everything else has become the norm leavening the perptratetors more or less patsies. If you deep dive the psychological traits, political affiliations, and past and current medications many of these types of spree killers mostly follow a similar path. There are patterns. Ask the FBIs Behaviorial Sciencev Unit.
              "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                No one is responsible except the person who perpetrates these acts. No organization, no manufacturer, or political leader. This county has embraced and become devoid of the concept of personal responsibility. There are many instruments of mass violence and have been since the beginning of time. The blaming of everyone or everything else has become the norm leavening the perptratetors more or less patsies. If you deep dive the psychological traits, political affiliations, and past and current medications many of these types of spree killers mostly follow a similar path. There are patterns. Ask the FBIs Behaviorial Sciencev Unit.

In my experience, explaining any serious issue away with something as simple as an entire nation becoming devoid of "X", it demonstrates critical thinking on a particular topic has left the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
                  OK there is nothing that can be done? In this instance there was little to do under existing laws. I, disagree that changing existing and pending legislation cannot make
                  ​a difference. And I beg to differ about responsibility, I hope you never experience what these people did, and your opinion would probably be different if it was your child
                  ​wife, brother that was a victim. I am all in on personal responsibility, I don't blame anyone for my bad life choices and there are many. But to suggest the Death lobby
                  does not own our elected officials to even talk about it is irresponsible.
                  ​ And while we are on the responsibility issue, I guess the opiod crisis has nothing to do with pharma manufacturing industry having
                  ​not created it and rakes in billions to also stuff politicians pockets. No there is only personal responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                    Johnny I hope you are not casting doubt upon Alex Jones, the man is a genius. He broke up the pizzagate conspiracy and probably saved hundreds of kids from being
                    ​sex slaves for god sake. And how do you know Sandy Hook was not an inside job, wake up dude. Hey if our own president supports this guys beliefs what kind of
                    ​unpatriotic, tree hugging liberal would I be, huh johnny? Where is your birth certificate comrade? If nothing changes after congress has a minute of silence and prayer
                    ​like they do regularly for this issue while thinking about how much more cash the Death lobby is willing to fork over to protect my rights to buy weapons of mass carnage.
                    In February 2017, the lawyers of James Alefantis, owner of Comet Ping Pong pizzeria, sent Jones a letter demanding an apology and retraction for his role in pushing the Pizzagate conspiracy theory. Under Texas law, Jones was given a month to comply or be subject to a libel suit.[70] In March 2017, Alex Jones apologized to Alefantis for promulgating the conspiracy theory and retracted his allegations.[71]
                    In April 2017, the Chobani yogurt company filed a lawsuit against Jones for his article that claims that the company’s factory in Idaho, which employs refugees, was connected to a 2016 child sexual assault and a rise in tuberculosis cases.[72] As a result of the lawsuit, Jones issued an apology and retraction of his allegations in May 2017.[73]I

sorry, he is a nut case, and i am a right winger.

craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

This thread is exactly why political subforums within other forums are largely prohibited. There is likely a reason why there is no "off-topic" subforum here. There are plenty of other forums that encourage politics and what not. Moderators, I kindly ask that you delete this thread.

Comment

the perfect gun law has not been written , if a perfect gun law is ever written it will still have a huge flaw, the human element !
                        times like this are not a time for people to push their political agenda no matter what it may be or what side they are on !
                        donc

Comment

Resisting agenda "at times like these" is *exactly* why we continue to have times like these.

Head in the sand is what that amounts to. Sorry, but truth.

On 9/11 nobody told anyone else to shut up and can their agenda.

Sandyhook was slaughtered children. This was slaughtered country music fans. At what point does slaughter entail immediate and serious discussion? If it wasn't a stack of bodies of little children, it won't be anything I imagine. We spent more time crying about emails in the last election. We are a nation of paranoid hypocrites who ignore slaughter right here at home - and calling for deletion of any dialogue is a huge part of the problem.

The slaughter will continue absent a paradigm change - and nonsensical bs about "personal responsibility" or "I blame society" or " teh gays" (that really happens) or all these other kneejerk right wing smug assertions will not change this.

It is a complex issue that denies simple platitudes - and not actively seeking a complex solution and avoiding dialog makes one part of the problem.

Anyone check out Sig Sauer advertising lately?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            Resisting agenda "at times like these" is *exactly* why we continue to have times like these.

Head in the sand is what that amounts to. Sorry, but truth.

On 9/11 nobody told anyone else to shut up and can their agenda.

Sandyhook was slaughtered children. This was slaughtered country music fans. At what point does slaughter entail immediate and serious discussion? If it wasn't a stack of bodies of little children, it won't be anything I imagine. We spent more time crying about emails in the last election. We are a nation of paranoid hypocrites who ignore slaughter right here at home - and calling for deletion of any dialogue is a huge part of the problem.

The slaughter will continue absent a paradigm change - and nonsensical bs about "personal responsibility" or "I blame society" or " teh gays" (that really happens) or all these other kneejerk right wing smug assertions will not change this.

It is a complex issue that denies simple platitudes - and not actively seeking a complex solution and avoiding dialog makes one part of the problem.

Anyone check out Sig Sauer advertising lately?
                            Also goes back to the liberals trying to always blame the right. After all look what a fine place Chicago has become after years of democrat leadership. The left is as much a problem as the right.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

In case anyone asks... I own firearms and this what I am doing to try and enact change.

I tell my daughter they are a tool, and a dangerous one at that.

I do not wrap my guns in a flag.

Most importantly - I do not call significant swaths of society a "threat" that my firearms will keep in check.

Pay close attention to that last point and compare it to the rhetoric spewing out of the radical right.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

OK there is nothing that can be done? In this instance there was little to do under existing laws. I, disagree that changing existing and pending legislation cannot make
                                ​a difference. And I beg to differ about responsibility, I hope you never experience what these people did, and your opinion would probably be different if it was your child
                                ​wife, brother that was a victim. I am all in on personal responsibility, I don't blame anyone for my bad life choices and there are many. But to suggest the Death lobby
                                does not own our elected officials to even talk about it is irresponsible.
                                ​ And while we are on the responsibility issue, I guess the opiod crisis has nothing to do with pharma manufacturing industry having
                                ​not created it and rakes in billions to also stuff politicians pockets. No there is only personal responsibility.
                                I sincerely hope no one does but that is just not reality. I don't blame anyone for my poor choices either and that is where it ends. Different strokes for different folks

I hear a lot of rhetoric and blanket blame. The common insinuation is that more laws could potentially events like these from happening. The phrases used..."We need to have a national conversation"..."We need laws to prevent events like this". So what is the answer/suggestions...more laws and regulations? What could have been done to prevent the shooter in Las Vegas from doing what he did. I would much rather hear potential solutions. Still waiting on those.
                                "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                                The Roxster
                                Swopes 5.0
                                Acoustic Panels
                                Living Room Make Over

Comment

Working...
                                X