"Over and Out" Design Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Over and Out" Design Team

All indications are this will not be renewed this year. There's been no call for applications to join a 2018 Team and the Project Gallery no longer has links for the Previous Designers and their Projects. IMO, it was probably going to be tough to come up with another group of 10 for this years team anyway. Sorry to see it didn't work out for PE as well as they had hoped. Congrats to the guys that made the teams and a special shout out to the handful of guys that made the effort to meet all of the requirements, not an easy task.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

I second your thoughts. I thought it was a great idea.

Comment

Looks like something new is the Brand Ambassador Program

https://www.parts-express.com/speake...ng_design_team

https://www.parts-express.com/brand_ambassador

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Looks like that might be a better option. I kind of felt like farming out the design team was going to add a lot more noise to the project gallery but not generate the buzz they were looking for. I think that generating a lot of buzz and discussion on the forum and social media maybe better, but with trying and testing the product, how are they going to feel about negative/honest reviews.
        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
          Hadn't seen that yet, thanks John.

I'm a little concerned about this new program but I guess my concerns could be argued for the previous program as well. It's clear PE is looking for ways to increase their exposure, nothing wrong with that at all. The problem I see goes back to the selection process. Once they appoint someone, that's essentially the same thing as PE saying "this guy knows what he's doing", and you can trust his builds. From what I've seen here recently on "YouTube", whoever is making the selections isn't very selective. If you have a channel and some followers, pretty good chance you can get appointed.
          An example: http://projectgallery.parts-express....ower-speakers/
          Click image for larger version

Name:	doublsmm_tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	1347483

He's a young fella, energetic, eager, and willing. I hope he sticks with this hobby and learns it. Right now, the problem is he doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground. He's got ideas of what makes a good speaker with no fundamental understanding of what makes a speaker work. Again, I'm not trying to bash the young guy, just pointing out a problem. He has followers and if PE sponsors him (I suspect they already have since his video shows a discount code for PE), it's the same as them saying he knows his stuff. Now you've got potential PE customers following his builds and trying them out for themselves. Some of them are going to be in for a big surprise when they hear the speakers for the first time. Hopefully, they'll be just as ignorant as him and that near 15db peak wont bother them. This is what happens when you pick out random drivers and throw an "off the shelf" crossover at them.

Anyway, I've vented a little and maybe this will raise some eyebrows at PE. There are some knowledgeable people working there, perhaps one of them needs to be on that "Selection Committee".
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

You have a very good point Kevin K.
            If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
            What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
            It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Not a very good video.
              Instead of music he should be explaining what he is doing.
              On the sound demo. They don't sound any better than my computer speakers.

Comment

The other issue is that many "veteran" designers that do know what they are doing more than likely don't want to help a company advertise without proper compensation. Sharing projects with individuals is one thing. Letting a company use your project for their benefit is another.

Comment

The execution suffered numerous issues.
                  1)Lack of separation between the projects by serious designers from amateur novice projects. Design Team had it's own tab in resources but it was not very clear.
                  All projects are piled up in the same speaker project gallery.
                  2)Lack of promotion for the members of design team.
                  3) Lack of sufficient budget by PE.
                  4) Confusing budgets. Some people were denied pricier drivers, including myself, others received components well over the budget. My line array was also well over the set budget. Many people used their own high performance parts.
                  5) Lack of communication. Numerous messages to PE Speaker Design team supervisors remained unanswered.
                  I left this endeavor on my own, rather flabbergasted.

The speaker design gallery remains to be a mixed bag. A newcomer will have a hard time making sense of what is posted there.
                  http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Man Roman, you sound like a high school girl! ;)
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                      Man Roman, you sound like a high school girl! ;)
                      No wonder. I am wearing the uniform at the moment.
                      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

So glad someone pointed out that doublsmm project. I made a few comments on his video about the XO and "sound tests" and was mostly bashed by his fans. I tried to be polite but honest and fair. It's really a shame PE would reward someone who hasn't taken the time to learn this stuff but has a big following and cool white paint. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Comment

Subaru has ambassadors. They work well.

PE is taking a very clever approach and what many forget here is that those if us elbow deep in this hobby are the exception, not the norm.

For many, building a speaker is a merit badge for the sache. Others, its build for fun and learn a little.

Many of "us" have dedicated YEARS to it. Not many people stick with many things for years.

Further, the more you learn, the less concrete things become, which is the oppsite of most hobbies. This rabbit hole is extremely deep, and like playing an instrument, the journey never really ends. For most, once the point where a design is under their belt, they can sim something flat, and take some basic measurements, thats good enough. To me, thats pretty cool. Also cool is the natural extension of woodworking this hobby provides for some serious cabinet makers. So slapping some drivers in a box with OTS crossovers is not out of the meta "norm". It bothers most of us more than the people who builds them and loves them, even if its more emotional than aural.

For me, I am extremely thankful for the design team. NOTHING is perfect, but it have me an oppertuity to really get creative and share the journey.

The Gallery is a dog's brekfast. We know this. However PE did a good job pointing people to DT gallery projects. They invested a lot of money in it, too, and really they did not get their return. I moved over the summer and still owe them my 3rd design, its 90% there, but they deal.with the delay. PE learned and is moving on. Its not personal, its business.

I hope the ambassador program works well for them!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
                            So glad someone pointed out that doublsmm project. I made a few comments on his video about the XO and "sound tests" and was mostly bashed by his fans. I tried to be polite but honest and fair. It's really a shame PE would reward someone who hasn't taken the time to learn this stuff but has a big following and cool white paint. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
                            If you want to be an ambassador for the hobby, set the example, don't police.

One of the big issues that has arisen as it all evolves. There was a time when the experts did not twll people how wrong they were, rather lifted those up who asked questions and WANTED to learn.

History has shown the "I am right because I am smotter" arguement does not work. Even if you are right. Someone will follow him, realize he is wrong, find us, and find their way.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post

No wonder. I am wearing the uniform at the moment.

Too Much Information!!
                              Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Working...
                              X