Thurston 3-ways Build Thread XT25-30 Peerless 5" TB W6-1139SIF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thurston 3-ways Build Thread XT25-30 Peerless 5" TB W6-1139SIF

Started a new project recently and wanted to share with you guys.

How it Started - In order to get the cool TangBand PR's for the Microfarads V2 build I had to buy a bunch of W6-1139SIF, no biggie as I love them. I also picked up a bunch of the Peerless 5.25" 835025 on sale from PE. Lastly I got a 10 pack of XT25-30 tweeters here in the classifieds, and when a friend asked me to build him some new speakers for his living room, I knew the perfect drivers to use =)

The design needed to be compact but floor standing and had a specific envelope it had to fit in. After modeling the W6 it seemed really happy in a .85 cubic foot box tuned to about 35hz, so I went from there.

A small 2 liter sub enclosure houses the 5" and it starts rolling off in its own at about 200hz. Construction is as follows, maple veneered plywood main body, solid maple strip edging for the top edges and solid Poplar heartwood front baffle and back. Solid Poplar outrigger adjustable height feet are also part of the design.

Initial cut list

Gluing on solid maple edging

Front and rear baffles cut to rough size

Gluing up sides and top/bottom

Drivers

Out of the clamps

Gluing in reinforcement stripes that also increase the glue area for the front and rear baffles. Also since I'll be staining the main body separate from the baffles, this will minimize glue squeeze out.

Midrange enclosure and some bracing

Locating dowels for the front and rear baffles

Laying out drivers

More to come, thanks!
    Javad
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Is that 2 layers of 1/2" or 3/4"?
    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
      Is that 2 layers of 1/2" or 3/4"?
      All material is 3/4"
      --
      Javad Shadzi
      Bay Area, CA

Comment

You should be able to take the W6 up to about 600Hz if you want to. I had a 4.25mH and 55uF cap doing the LP duty, FWIW.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

It is too bad that the mid enclosure isnít bigger so you could take the Peerless mid down to 300 to 400 Hz. Itís performance would be better than the tang band at low mid frequencies. No way I cross over as high as 600 Hz. I would shoot for 500 Hz if you can parallel a 20 ohm resistor with the mid to take the low frequency lmpedance peak down to get a decent cross over response.

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
            It is too bad that the mid enclosure isnít bigger so you could take the Peerless mid down to 300 to 400 Hz. Itís performance would be better than the tang band at low mid frequencies. No way I cross over as high as 600 Hz. I would shoot for 500 Hz if you can parallel a 20 ohm resistor with the mid to take the low frequency lmpedance peak down to get a decent cross over response.
            I'll post more info on the crossover work soon, I'm actually very pleased with how these are measuring, incredibly flat, not odd dips or peaks, and amazing off axis response too. The Peerless does well down to 250hz with a 12db roll off below that, and same for the TangBand. Mid enclosure is actually about 3.5l.

Thanks!
            Javad
            --
            Javad Shadzi
            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Uh Oh, he's venturing off to something other than Pro-Audio drivers. And Poplar will be on the endangered species list in California soon.

As usual, nice work Javad, looking forward to following along.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
              The Archers
              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                ... And Poplar will be on the endangered species list in California soon..
                The Aspens are quaking in their roots ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                  Uh Oh, he's venturing off to something other than Pro-Audio drivers. And Poplar will be on the endangered species list in California soon.

As usual, nice work Javad, looking forward to following along.
                  I was thinking the same thing...

Hey Javad... you do know that us speaker dudes usually build with something called MDF... maybe you've heard of it?
                  It's a lot like cardboard but tastes funnier and hurts more when you drop it on your big toe.

Looking good as usual, and I appreciate your posts... it's nice to have something to look at on the computer speaker building-related.

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Nice project Javad. with this driver selection this will be a very nice sounding speaker.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike
                      The Aspens are quaking in their roots ...
                      Hah was waiting for you Mike! =)
                      --
                      Javad Shadzi
                      Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K.
                        Uh Oh, he's venturing off to something other than Pro-Audio drivers. And Poplar will be on the endangered species list in California soon. As usual, nice work Javad, looking forward to following along.
                        Thanks Kevin! Did you see the Microfarads V2 build? A full range driver even!
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo
                          I was thinking the same thing... Hey Javad... you do know that us speaker dudes usually build with something called MDF... maybe you've heard of it? It's a lot like cardboard but tastes funnier and hurts more when you drop it on your big toe. Looking good as usual, and I appreciate your posts... it's nice to have something to look at on the computer speaker building-related. TomZ
                          Hah, you know I did a speaker recently in MDF in collaboration with Paul Carmody, will post more later but I did like how clean and accurate MDF cuts, wasn't too thrilled with all the dust! Thanks for following along and commenting Tom! =)
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Another progress report, here is where things left off, reinforcement pieces installed front and rear

Midrange enclosure close up

Step by step on creating a template for an odd shaped driver like the Peerless truncated frame First bolt the driver down to a sacrificial intermediate template board, perfectly center the base of your router and trace around the frame with a 1/4" spiral bit

Now trace the inside of the 1st int. Template also with a 1/4" spiral bit on another int. Template board

Now you have a 1/4" oversized template

For the final cut, trace the inside with a 3/4" pattern bit, this will give you an exact template of the original driver.

Some light sanding is usually required and you'll have an exact fit

Peerless ID cut, template centered over opening and ready to recess

Recess cut

Test fit

Tweeter flush mount

More to come!
                            Javad
                            --
                            Javad Shadzi
                            Bay Area, CA

Comment

Javad

Love your documentation, but it raises a question. In the photo you mention a 3/4" pattern bit, but it looks like a 1/4" spiral, can you clarify?

Comment

Working...
                              X