PETT is a classroom.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETT is a classroom.

Time PETT is used to educate, pure and simple.
    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

A lot of that already goes on, no doubt. And for every poster there may be 10 lurkers reading and learning. But only educating the noobs may get boring for more advanced sorts.
    Francis

Comment

I'm sending the tuition bills this week.

Comment

Can we start grading posts then? I give the English used in the OP a C-. "It is time that..."

I have to admit my recent posts have been a bit grouchy, but mostly because of a higher volume of questions being asked that can adequately be answered by typing the thread title into Google. On a few other forums, I've seen prompts "have you searched" prior to allowing you to post a new thread, and one forum I visit actually brings up search results as you type your thread to try and avoid repeated threads for the same topic.

That "Bible" thread sure could use some modern updates, a lot of the links are dead. It's nice for the "more advanced sorts" to be able to point newcomers to a "read this before asking basic questions" to avoid answering the same basic questions over and over.

That being said, PETT is not a classroom.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          I have to admit my recent posts have been a bit grouchy, but mostly because of a higher volume of questions being asked that can adequately be answered by typing the thread title into Google.
          I understand your point, but if it weren't for some of those easily researched questions, we'd sometimes go days w/o any posts.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post

I understand your point, but if it weren't for some of those easily researched questions, we'd sometimes go days w/o any posts.
            Sad, but so true.
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
              Can we start grading posts then? I give the English used in the OP a C-. "It is time that..."

I have to admit my recent posts have been a bit grouchy, but mostly because of a higher volume of questions being asked that can adequately be answered by typing the thread title into Google. On a few other forums, I've seen prompts "have you searched" prior to allowing you to post a new thread, and one forum I visit actually brings up search results as you type your thread to try and avoid repeated threads for the same topic.

That "Bible" thread sure could use some modern updates, a lot of the links are dead. It's nice for the "more advanced sorts" to be able to point newcomers to a "read this before asking basic questions" to avoid answering the same basic questions over and over.

That being said, PETT is not a classroom.

I certainly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and have a lot of respect for you, but rather than getting grouchy, just don't answer the question. A lot of what seems simple to advanced folks is anything but simple to someone without the same level of knowledge. There are times those types of posts generate further discussion. It seems like some of the subjects covered come easily for some, but not so easily for others.

Although PETT might not be a classroom for all, for me it is. I know I can ask a question and get PLENTY of answers. I have certainly learned a lot from this and other similar forums. It keeps the hobby interesting and stirs the imagination.
              "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
              Bismarck, North Dakota
              My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
              My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I agree with Mike 100%. Tons of information on this Forum but it can be difficult to pinpoint what you are looking for, the search engine is frustrating. Even if the subject of a new post has been posted on the forum numerous times before, the answers don't always come from the same people and some are better at explaining things than others. No, the forum isn't necessarily a classroom, but it's certainly a place to learn. Dcibel made a valid point that only enforces what this forum is great at, being current. The Speaker Building thread is dated with ton's of broken links. Where's a better place to go for answers then the collective whole of this forum?
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                  Time PETT is used to educate, pure and simple.
                  Care to share your reasoning why the forum should focus on education? I assume you mean beyond what already goes on here.
                  Francis

Comment

Mike Jennen's and Kevin K's posts above mirrors my experiences very well, and I expect many other forum members as well. For many, most, people it takes hearing something multiple times from different perspectives to allow someone to fully assimilate what is being shared. The more technical or complex the information the more repetitions the better.

This is why I enjoy reading the posts and responses to questions, no matter how banal they may seem to others. Why, well I've lived in 2 widely separated states in the last 20+ yrs. Neither is particularly known for significant populations of speaker builders. If not for the input and direction I've received from this forum I'd be learning in isolation. Probably spending more money on projects that did not live up to the potential of the sum of their parts.
                    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Aren't you in AZ, Ed? Mark65, Bolland83, spasticteapot, MaynardG....

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                        Mike Jennen's and Kevin K's posts above mirrors my experiences very well, and I expect many other forum members as well. For many, most, people it takes hearing something multiple times from different perspectives to allow someone to fully assimilate what is being shared. The more technical or complex the information the more repetitions the better.

This is why I enjoy reading the posts and responses to questions, no matter how banal they may seem to others. Why, well I've lived in 2 widely separated states in the last 20+ yrs. Neither is particularly known for significant populations of speaker builders. If not for the input and direction I've received from this forum I'd be learning in isolation. Probably spending more money on projects that did not live up to the potential of the sum of their parts.
                        This. For me I often need multiple perspectives and sometimes just need to ask with my exact circumstances for it to make sense. Sometimes just one small part of the answer I read before didn’t make sense to me and I need clarification. Frankly sometimes I ask things here that I can find answers for on google and other sites because I trust you guys more. I feel like the answers here come from people I know (even though I’ve never actually met anyone in person) vs “the internet”. I trust the people here.
                        Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                        Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                        References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                        Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          Aren't you in AZ, Ed? Mark65, Bolland83, spasticteapot, MaynardG....

Later,
                          Wolf
                          Ben,

Who knew, obviously not me. LOL! Now I feel really dumb.

For years I've read about all the mid-west DIY gatherings and assumed WA and now AZ were the western equivalent of Siberia and the Gobi desert
                          To all my neighbors, and yes I recognize your screen names, my deepest apologies for any slight, real or accidental.

Though, my ignorance also bolsters my assertion, in as much as I've read posting by all of the above forum members and learned a part of the art of speaker design. Never once suspecting anyone of the members you've sighted might be in the same area code as I.
                          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                          ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post

I certainly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and have a lot of respect for you, but rather than getting grouchy, just don't answer the question ...
                            Yes, knowledge, dcibel immediately pinpointed the showstopper in my first foray into building a boombox, That otherwise, was sound based on existing designs. Thanks.

Perhaps waiting a bit to answer - other forum capable forum members may answer reducing the load.

And it's a necessary evil to keep the newcomers that will keep the forum thriving in the years to come. We are a small niche in the scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post

This. For me I often need multiple perspectives and sometimes just need to ask with my exact circumstances for it to make sense. Sometimes just one small part of the answer I read before didn’t make sense to me and I need clarification. Frankly sometimes I ask things here that I can find answers for on google and other sites because I trust you guys more. I feel like the answers here come from people I know (even though I’ve never actually met anyone in person) vs “the internet”. I trust the people here.
                              I agree with you, I'm a S-L-O-W learner and need multiple attempts to absorb concepts before they become part of my knowledge base that I can use.

True as well... that I trust these guys immensely, I know I'll get an answer that works for me eventually, though all suggestions are welcome, and are usually correct and helpful.

I teach young kids, and every year I get a new batch. A brand-new group of 3-4 year old kids who I'm responsible to teach almost everything we use in life... (how to eat, how to use the bathroom, wash their hands, put a sheet on a cot, how to ask and not hit/grab, how to communicate with words instead of cry... oh, and colors, shapes, numbers, letters etc.)
                              I have to remember that we're all 'new' at everything at some point in our lives... be it eating, taking loudspeaker measurements, building a speaker box or veneering a cabinet... and we all need some guidance.

Just because I've taught the same thing dozens and dozens of times, still, I've got to remember that the learner is learning it for the first time, and their excitement and interest must be cultivated....

it's a lot of work with kids, and probably a little work for us adults with speakers... and I'm on the receiving end of that give and take much of the time as well -- so I'm not intending to talk down to anyone. I'm just amazed and thankful for this forum and it's extremely giving group of guys and gals who continue to be patient with me/us and share tips/tricks, and basic information with patience and accuracy. Folks seem to have various areas of expertise, and those that do really share a lot of good info on those topics... there are so many folks that almost every topic has an 'expert' to help out.

This is a fantastic online learning community for sure!

TomZ
                              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Working...
                              X