No announcement yet.

Legacy audio, new design...interesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm betting the mid is a compression driver and that is the midwoofer's dust cap peeking through the tweeter array.

Looks like they're aiming for cardioid like response down to where the subs take over, definitely has the potential to sound nice.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
      I'm betting the mid is a compression driver and that is the midwoofer's dust cap peeking through the tweeter array.

Looks like they're aiming for cardioid like response down to where the subs take over, definitely has the potential to sound nice.
      Ah yes, very astute observation! I should have known with the description of the diaphragm material of titanium/polyester! That must be a hell of a driver [B&C I presume] for Legacy to use it for the critical midrange portion in their flagship loudspeaker!

Comment

Hey guys, I saw this post last night and figured I'd snap some pictures for you to help see a little bit better. I'm no photographer, FYI.
        I didn't really get a chance to listen to them, they were demoing a different pair of speakers and I was in a hurry.

Very cool design.

Comment

Serinus of Stereophile was not convinced...
          "Though Bernstein's early digital recording of Mahler's Symphony 2 exhibited a very splashy top, slightly murky midrange, flat bass, and a distinct lack of color, I couldn't tell how much that had to do with room acoustics and positioning."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...J9k3QgsXJg8.99

Comment

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post

That must be a hell of a driver [B&C I presume] for Legacy to use it for the critical midrange portion in their flagship loudspeaker!
            There are a lot of great pro midranges out there. Sadly pro drivers have been shunned in the hifi diy community even though their are many serious contenders.

Comment

I agree. I heard the demo and the speakers were far too bright and there wasn't enough bass. Shame really given how great this speaker could sound with all the design work and room correction. The stereo unfold technology is subtle. Maybe in a smaller room it'll work better, but it wasn't that convincing in that great room.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post

There are a lot of great pro midranges out there. Sadly pro drivers have been shunned in the hifi diy community even though their are many serious contenders.
                Agreed on that too. There are many pro drivers that can be made to sound better, in fact, much better, like what I heard this weekend with the AE TD15M, than the high end "Hi-FI" midrange drivers. However it takes special design and consideration in directivity.

Comment

I think I found the 14" midbass coaxial monster they are using:

Matches the description of the suspect! :D

Comment

It has to be tough demoing gear at shows like that. I imagine there isn't much time for adjustments, the acoustics probably aren't great. My dad used to run a show in town for the newspaper, it was the Sights and Sounds show, so photography and audio. The rooms didn't start so sound decent until there were a lot of people in them.

Comment

Having been at that show, you have to understand that hotels are not made for acoustics. There were a total of 4 or 5 systems in the room where these speakers were, and no proper sound treatments to help take care of the room's response. They weren't near a wall, but rather had a temporary backdrop behind them, so little to no reinforcement there. All reviews from the RMAF and other similar shows should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                      X