Iowa DIY - The race is on!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa DIY - The race is on!

I'm bound & determined to bring a finished speaker to Iowa DIY. Sometimes life has other plans - we're crazy busy at work, family obligations, and the flu has kept me out of the shop the past few weekends. But there's still a glimmer of hope to complete these, so I was pluggin' away this weekend. First, I needed to finish the new router table wing I started a few weeks ago. My hope is that will actually help speed the progress, eliminating some possible mistakes using my router handheld. Got it done on Saturday with enough time to buy flowers, wrap a present, and take my wife out to dinner celebrating our anniversary.

That table really made flush trimming a breeze! Now the cabinets are sanded and ready for the next step - hardwood sides and top.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

The original idea was to use a nice piece of Hickory I had on hand to beef up the sides. But after some measuring, I was short by 3 inches, and I really want to have the wood wrap over the top too. Time for Plan B - recycling some Walnut, but it was going to be quite a bit more work. The boards were from a solid Walnut bunk bed frame. It had been built by a neighbor decades ago. They were going to throw it away when they moved out so I grabbed it. Nice straight pieces, but he had glued and screwed a long cleat along the inside edges to hold the slats. Those had to go...somehow. I rough-cut the boards to 12" and used a cheap plastic Craftsman tenoning jig to trim the cleats down as close as I could. I ended up with 20 pieces, each 12" long. After I'm finished sanding down what remains of the cleats, they'll be ripped down to 4.25" and ready for glue up! Only 10 more sand....tomorrow night.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Tom, looks good. Love the wood. I've also used an old bed frame to make speaks with... Maple in my case. You saved a ton of $$$,as well as saved it from ending up in a landfill possibly.
      Share what drivers?
      TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks! I'm a recycling type of guy. The top of the router table was part of an old kitchen table. This Walnut is looking great after sanding. I just hope I have time to give it decent finish. It may just be a few quick coats of wipe-on poly.
        Sadly, both drivers are NLA - the Usher 8836a 7" woofer and North Creek D25 tweeter.

Comment

That's exactly how my Iowa projects usually go... installing the final crossover the night before I leave. Somehow this year I was able to finish my project nearly a month in advance. Keep pushing Tom, you can do it and having a finish on the box is fully optional :p
          Craig

Comment

I close my eyes when I listen. Can't wait to hear them Tom.
            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              That's exactly how my Iowa projects usually go... installing the final crossover the night before I leave. Somehow this year I was able to finish my project nearly a month in advance. Keep pushing Tom, you can do it and having a finish on the box is fully optional :p

It'll take a minor miracle for me to be ready. Haven't even started voicing...heck, haven't even finished the enclosure. I AM So Jealous! ;)

Comment

Finished mine about four years ago. Spent the time since doing voicing tweaks. Gotta plan ahead.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing your Last Hurrah speakers Maynard!
                  Craig

Comment

Wow - I thought I had missed the public unveiling of Maynard's Last Hurrahs. I'm very happy to hear you'll be bringing them to Grinnell. I distinctly remember the speakers you brought in 2010. I was slack-jawed. Voices were floating just above the stage!

My raw boxes were built back in 2011. For some reason, I couldn't get the SEAS 27TDC to play to my liking with this Usher woofer. It was likely my lack of experience - or maybe the SEAS sound just isn't my cup of tea. Probably the former... Fast forward 6 years - I decided to try some other tweeters in my stash and the North Creek seemed to fall right into place. But I absolutely need to add some mass to the side panels. They are only 1/2" MDF. I also need a round-over or bevel to help smooth the top end.

Comment

Nice to know you liked the last ones and want to hear these. But honestly, not as much energy and ear went into these. Donít have the ears or time anymore.

Comment

More progress! Last night, I got the remaining 10 pieces sanded, getting rid of the remnants of those cleats. I went through at least seven 60 & 100 grit sanding discs. Despite having dust collection that vents out a window, my little shop is now covered with a thin film of Walnut dust!

Tonight we got ripped!! First pass was on the crosscut sled. I don't really need perfectly square corners, since these pieces will be flush trimmed once they're on the cabinet. But the sled made things go quickly and the square edges will make trimming that much easier - maybe with less chance of screwing something up! I opted to use the fence for ripping the final width.

Test fit time - these boxes don't look quite as slim any more. But now I'm a little worried this walnut might look a little too much like barn boards. I was planning on rounding over the front edges, but maybe a bevel will look better. I'll have to cut some test pieces out of the scraps to see.

Comment

Spent some time listening to the house track. No changes to the Last Hurrahs. Would like to hear the rationale for the selections, though.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                            Spent some time listening to the house track. No changes to the Last Hurrahs. Would like to hear the rationale for the selections, though.
                            Hi Maynard,
                            I finally made it home yesterday and am trying to catch up from a month of traveling. I'm looking forward to seeing you and listening to the Last Hurrahs.

See you soon!

Jim

Comment

Took last night off but was back in the shop tonight for a little bit. When I routed these baffles 6 years ago, I left the woofers a little proud. I don't really remember why, but that left a problem to be solved. I could take the manual approach, but my skill with the chisels isn't great. I still have the original template, so I was thinking I would either have to build a jig to somehow hold the template on the cabinets or maybe just screw it down to the baffle and then fill the holes. Neither was a great option since my top-bearing pattern bit is really too long for this kind of work. Then I stumbled on the Whiteside 3000A template bit. This thing is the shallowest bit I've seen at only 1/8". It turned out to be the perfect solution. Ordered one Monday, got it today, routing complete in less than 15 minutes! Time to fill & seal the MDF so I can paint the baffles and backs this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X