Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco NOV 12th 2017 Burning Amp!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco NOV 12th 2017 Burning Amp!

It's almost time for the 2017 edition of Burning Amp!
    WHERE: Fort Mason Center, San Francisco
    WHEN: 9am-7pm, NOV 12th, 2017

MORE INFO: http://www.burningamp.org

PRESENTATION BY INVITED SPEAKERS: There are four talks throughout the day and will be held at the Firehouse. A schedule is available on the burningamp.org Home page.

Nelson Pass will be talking about his new amplifiers which diyAudio will sell as kits and should have them to demo alongf with tons of other cool stuff including the awesome SAL speakers in his audition rooms

Siegfried Linkwitz will also give a presentation on audio perception, and demo his acclaimed LX series open baffle speakers in his audition room.

Demian Martin will demonstrate the only existing sample in the U.S. of a new precision measurement interface for computers which has unheard of performance per dollar and also a device designed by Jan Didden that automatically sets the input voltage to your computer interface to 1 volt to get the best measurements and not blow it up! He will have them on display at a table in the Firehouse and may do some tests of amps for people to demonstrate them

Wayne Colburn from Pass Labs will be about his new headphone amp design and the PCB’s he can supply for them and how he approaches some common circuit design issues. He will also have a table in the Firehouse where you can listen to it. Bring your own headphones for the most meaningful experience!

RAFFLE:
    There will be a huge raffle of donated items and parts! Bring items you would like to donate, or come to try and win some awesome stuff for your next project!
    Last edited by charlielaub; 10-10-2017, 12:37 PM.
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Dude! I sooo want to go!

Is it possible for me to come in the after noon though? I'd like to go to church that day.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      Dude! I sooo want to go!

Is it possible for me to come in the after noon though? I'd like to go to church that day.

​Absolutely not! The afternoon is reserved for SATAN worship and listening to Rob Zombie. But you maybe able to meet a nice girl there, hey that's where I met my wife.
      Last edited by Squidspeak; 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Dude! I sooo want to go!

Sure no problem. Go to an early service and them come on by! There is lots of stuff going on all day. There's a nice Indian food buffet at noon, too...

Comment

Just wanted to share the news...
          EVERYONE WHO BRINGS ONE OR MORE DIY PROJECTS TO SHOW IN THE DEMO ROOMS WILL GET FREE ADMISSION!
          Come to Burning Amp to experience the biggest DIY audio event on the West Coast!

Comment

Whoa, Burning Amp 2017 is less than two weeks away now! Not sure how many people on this board can attend, but I thought I would share some info about the system that I will be demo-ing. Burning Amp is not just about amps, after all.

I built a set of Manzanita-inspired open-baffle speakers I call the "active Charlitas" that use an out of production Focal 12" driver plus the Peerless TG9 (the glass cone version). The Focal woofer is front mounted and the Peerless fullranger rear-mounted, with a crossover point at about 800Hz. The concept used here is that the baffle should be not much wider than the driver itself (for the woofer) or the driver should be mounted very close to an edge (the full-range tweeter). Combined with a relatively small baffle, this has the effect of reducing the amplitude of the peaks and dips in the frequency response that are produced by the interference between front and rear wavefronts. The response is smoother overall compared to larger OB system with drivers near the center of the baffle. The baffle has been constructed out of 1/4" MDF which is relatively thin. Because the baffle is not large, by fastening it to the woofer's metal frame the structural rigidity remains high and the thin baffle reduces "tunnel resonances" that could be produced by the rear mounting of the tweeter. Even with the small baffle size, the woofer response is only down about 3dB at 120Hz. Below this frequency the driver's Q starts to drag down the frequency response. I don't try to fight that, but instead have intended that the active Charlita is used with a subwoofer.

The subwoofer system that I am using has a synthesized multi-pattern response that changes from monopole to cardioid to dipole between 20Hz and 200Hz. The pattern is similar to the OB dipole response at the crossover point to the active Charlita, but it can still pressurize the room like a monopole subwoofer at the lowest frequencies. It's the best of both worlds. I cross it over to the active Charlita at 150Hz, LR4. A Linux based DSP crossover system does the audio processing, with audio I/O via a pro-audio 8-ch ADC + 8-ch DAC unit.

Here is a pic of the trio:

Comment

Oops, something didn't work with the pic. I attached it to this message instead.

Comment

I would LOVE to attend Burning Amp 2017 Unfortunately I live 2000+ miles away :(
                Craig

Comment

I attended in 2010 when I lived a brief stint in So-Cal for work. Had a great time, and it was awesome to meet and shake hands with so many great minds and pursuers of the same passion. I highly recommend! My wife drove up to Sonoma/Napa for the day - I'm not sure who had a better time. . Plus, San Fran has amazing food. So jealous. I miss Cali.
                  SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                  Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                  SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                  SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Sort of a necro bump, but I wanted to reach out to the fellow speaker nerds at Burning Amp.
                    I snuck in as everyone was packing up, and demo-ed my Quarks.

It was pretty cool to meet fellow passionate nerds and see their speakers.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171112_181415.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1353132

On my end, it felt nice to test out my Quarks and go "ahhhhhh, not much lacking."

Comment

Sort of a necro bump, but I wanted to reach out to the fellow speaker nerds at Burning Amp.
                      I snuck in as everyone was packing up, and demo-ed my Quarks.

It was pretty cool to meet fellow passionate nerds and see their speakers.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1353132[/ATTACH]

On my end, it felt nice to test out my Quarks and go "ahhhhhh, not much lacking."
                      Sorry to burst your bubble, but you feel this way because the room is absolutely terrible and it greatly diminished the ability to hear the excellence of the good speakers.

Case in point. I once had a chance to listen to an early version of my speakers side by side against one of the best monitors in the world, the ATC SCM150ASL. The ATC hardly sounded better at the listening position. However, when I was listening to them up close, where there is much less room interaction because the direct sound is much louder than the reflected sound, the ATC kicked the crap out my speakers and showed why it is so highly regarded. The Burning Amp rooms were way worse than the listening room I was in.

When you only hear the speakers, and not the room, that's when you really hear the differences between speakers. The room mucks up sound and robs the clarity and detail of the superior speaker, while the inferior speaker isn't losing out on much because it didn't have much clarity and detail to lose in the first place.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Quarks would technically sound better than half the speakers at the Burning Amp. So you're still right.

Comment

Not bursting my bubble at all...and spoken like a true nerd... ;P

I was just expecting a bunch of Paul Carmodys and Jeff Bagbys there.

Comment

I love BA, this was my 5th but it's more about diy electronics and amps than great speakers. This year the speakers were as good as I've seen. The reference minis, the big Tannoys, the strafi, the econowave varients, Charlie's open baffle, the guy with th heils and horn and the Edgar horns were all pretty solid, but the sound still sucked because fort mason is a great venue with the worst sound. The sound was much better 3 years ago when it was in an office building in Cupertino.
                          I'm sure the speakers at one of the Midwest diy events are better but Burning amp has a really smart fun crowd, with amazing home built or modified electronics, great guest-speakers( Pass, Linkwitz, Wayne Colburn, Damian Martin), and is in a beautiful place. The energy and enthusiasm this year was great, and it went really smoothly thanks to Charlie. And a super yummy Indian lunch!! I think this was the best one I've been to.

Comment

Working...
                          X