Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How loud is 90 db at 1 meter on a Tweeter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we're at it, why have amp mfrs conspired to suppress the loudness switch? I get so angry every time I try to adjust my Yamaha AVR. Would one freakin' little switch eat into their corporate profits? Jeez.

To answer the original question, it's 90 db at 1 meter.

Comment

Ridikas, If you turn the volume down there will be no distortion

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
        Ridikas, If you turn the volume down there will be no distortion
        Thanks, I needed that! Actually, I have a 90dB tweeter that I can crank up to eleven. It's perfect for occasions when you need just that little extra that an 88dB tweeter can't handle.

Comment

Amps that go to eleven are hard to come by. You may need one of those amp booster doomahickys

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
            💡 ( exit stage left )
            Same. I like a good discussion. This isn't it.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'll just about guarantee that if you're sitting at a normal listening distance and Fanfare for the Common Man is playing at levels you'd experience sitting in the audience at a good auditorium, those tweeters are easily generating over 90dB at 1m.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Originally posted by malboro2 View Post

I maintain that if you were right in the real world, then Richard Clarke would have had to give up his $10,000 years ago. But despite numerous people with golden ears, no one can tell the difference between amplifiers---and there is no question that that measurement data is not beset by the variables in speakers.

if you would have been at the Grand Rapids DIY event one year ago you would not believe this.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

if you would have been at the Grand Rapids DIY event one year ago you would not believe this.
                  Or this year.

As far as Mr Clark's challenge, no one has one the money. But I don't believe any one has taken the challenge either.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Hmmm, Fanfare for the Common Man is composed for 4 french horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, and 1 each of tuba, timpani, tam-tam and bass drum. The highest fundamental frequency any of those can play is 1500 Hz for a french horn and trumpet, and 1000 Hz for a trombone if it's an alto trombone. I have no idea what frequency range a tam-tam covers, however. It's true all of these instruments will have harmonic outputs at higher frequencies, but if this piece was being played where the average SPL level was 90 dB, it doesn't seem likely a tweeter would also be producing 90 dB SPL, unless the speaker in question was a 2-way with the tweeter crossed in the 1000-1500 Hz range (and such a speaker would probably have the tweeter in a wave guide where the lower end of the tweeter is reinforced by that guide so the tweeter isn't working so hard).
                    Paul

Comment

How about a bombastic high-pitched violin ( got a few recordings of those )

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Violin goes up to 3.5 K. Organ goes up to 7 K. Piano goes up to 4.1 K. Piccolo goes up to 5 K. Play this one really loud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O3H3PU8f7M

Vivaldi Piccolo concerto in C major.

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bJ6PpuURs
                        Spring Dance for Piccolo & Organ by H. A. Stamm

However, if you are crossing your tweeter at 5500 hz, its only workout in direct music might be some of the highest tubes in a pipe organ, the rest is a workout in harmonics.

Comment

I listen from distances varying from 14' to 40', even though the SPL drop isn't as dramatic as outdoors, it of course does drop from a Meter proximity.
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                          X