Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of building a bluetooth 2.1 sound thingie-- comment feasibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of building a bluetooth 2.1 sound thingie-- comment feasibility?

I finally plugged in Paul's Voxel sub about three days ago, and it sounds amazing.
    Its looks pretty good too) despite my poor craftsfmanship ( my DW611 kept dropping the bit in the most inopportune moments--that, and I wasn't 100% on how to use a sawstop without locking the extender).

I'm thinking of building something incorporating the minions and the voxel together in one box and calling it the "Grace" (named for my sister, that I'm thinking of building it for).
    I'm thinking of Baltic Birch/Appleply with a walnut baffle--two forward facing full range woofers and a down firing tangband 5" woofer.
    Sorta like a smaller version of this:

1. Has anyone done this before? I don't want to be stepping on anyone's feet
    2. Are there any special considerations I should have?
    I'm thinking of essentially building some minions, and popping them in a box to house a slightly oversived voxel and running a 2.1 chipamp with bluetooth.

Btw, I'm trying to come up with a great sounding, high WAF, inexpensive present for friends and family.
    It'd be nice to get them hooked into this hobby of ours. *cue evil laugh*

I think the subwoofer is TB W5-1138SMF
    The full ranger is a 3"
    Tang Band W3-1053SC

Special thanks to Paul and Leroy for coming up with these inexpensive, nice sounding designs.

Also, this thread for the inspiration: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...l-system-build
    Thanks Kevin007!

Comment

I have built something similar. I used the TB (now Dayton) W3's as well in Minion'esq form (slightly different cap) for the left/right channels but used a Dayton ND105-8 for the sub. For the amp, I powered buy the 2.1 board Tom Z made famous with a 10k pot for the sub volume. BT was handled by the the Sure 4.0 unit as it has some gain to it and runs the 2.1 amp nicely on a 12v 3a power supply. This turned out to be a really good combination. Very clean and very balanced. The W3's are just really smooth, have the highs but are not as brassy as the PS95s. The ND105 will get down and fill in for a sub in a desktop boom box config all day long. It had more than enough volume to fill several rooms. Most mantle/desktop type speakers don't require a lot of power to get clean descent volume. I could did up the specs if need be.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

Also, this thread for the inspiration: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...l-system-build
        Thanks Kevin007!
        Just make sure you read post number 49/50 in that thread. The port tuning is very different compared to the original voxel design!

You can use the PE knockdown 0.23 box for the voxel if you make the port down firing. (Original Carmody port specifications)

Comment

When I first considered building a boombox 5 years ago (before many other builds became reality) it was Paul Carmody that first suggested his Voxel paired with his Sprites. It seemed like a winner. In the end, it was Decibel that pointed out it would not meet my volume needs (open air on the beach for group parties). But as Gordy points out, for most all other situations, the Voxel rocks.

Comment

Bluetooth is mono, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post

Dude! I totally didn't know.

Keep the suggetions coming!
              I didn't even know about the ND105-8 prior to this thread.

Comment

Btw, is it this board?

https://www.parts-express.com/21-hi-...8-vdc--320-608

Also, if you have an "upgrade" suggestion for the tweeter, please let me know!
                I've also looked at the Dayton RS 100-4 and the Tangband Titanium full range woofers.
                Personally, I feel that my time costs more than using a cheaper driver sometimes. :P

Money, time...never feels like one has enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                  Bluetooth is stereo. When using a phone (android at least) as the source, make sure you "settings / accessibility / hearing" is not set to mono lest all the phone will do is mono.

Comment

Btw, is it this board?

https://www.parts-express.com/21-hi-...8-vdc--320-608

Also, if you have an "upgrade" suggestion for the tweeter, please let me know!
                    I've also looked at the Dayton RS 100-4 and the Tangband Titanium full range woofers.
                    Personally, I feel that my time costs more than using a cheaper driver sometimes. :P

Money, time...never feels like one has enough.
                    Yep that board. Tom did some work with it and a ND105. I usually put the Sure 4.0 BT module behind it as it has a line driver in it boosting the volume of the amp. The 3 pin connector for the sub is a JST-XH style. You can find 3 wire pigtails on the Zon. I make my own and would be happy to mail one to you if you need it. I also use the Sure board as it has pretty good noise and EMI suppression.
                    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                    The Roxster
                    Swopes 5.0
                    Acoustic Panels
                    Living Room Make Over

Comment

Btw, I'd love to see if you have speakers that have been built in this format before.

I can envision a rectangular box (voxel) with two smaller boxes inside (minions) and a chipamp.
                      I'm not sure how much juice will be needed. would likely have a removable back section to make life easier.
                      Subwoofer would be down firing.

I might try to make one of MDF or something. Maybe Home Depot Oak?

Also, do you think the Dayton RF-100-8 would work instead of the tang band 3" full rangers?
                      I'm not sure if there's another full ranger you guys like.

Comment

This is not nearly loud enough and probably way smaller than you want but it's plenty for my kitchen & work area. I suppose you could basically super-size the box for the drivers you want to use. It uses the same amp and BT board Gordy references.
                        Post with 880 views. Shared by joneng1. Oak 2.1 Boombox

Comment

Btw, I'd love to see if you have speakers that have been built in this format before.

I can envision a rectangular box (voxel) with two smaller boxes inside (minions) and a chipamp.
                          I'm not sure how much juice will be needed. would likely have a removable back section to make life easier.
                          Subwoofer would be down firing.

I might try to make one of MDF or something. Maybe Home Depot Oak?

Also, do you think the Dayton RF-100-8 would work instead of the tang band 3" full rangers?
                          I'm not sure if there's another full ranger you guys like.

It looks something like this. The space in the front is for a recessed grill and the back frame is for the removable back. The sub fires forward because it is filling in some of the lower frequencies so no need to make it down firing. There is no need and for this config, I don't recommend it. The port is out the back but does use an elbow due to the length and the closeness to the ND105 once is it is mounted.

I think you mean the RS100-8. The RS is a smooth driver but in my opinion really needs a tweeter. The W3-1053 has the missing highs that the RS misses but does not have the low end. Add a woofer and that becomes a non-issue. I am picky about 3" full range speakers. I prefer the have extended highs. That is why I like the W3s and PS95. I have been tempted to try the higher end TB 3" full range drivers but just cant' bring myself to drop the coin.

The Madeleine
                          The Roxster
                          Swopes 5.0
                          Acoustic Panels
                          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by jdhill View Post
                            This is not nearly loud enough and probably way smaller than you want but it's plenty for my kitchen & work area. I suppose you could basically super-size the box for the drivers you want to use. It uses the same amp and BT board Gordy references.
                            I have always wanted to employ that kind of power supply but just can't give up the internal volume. I have also used that amp internally with the volume set at about 90% and a little hot glue to hold the pot in place with the device controlling the overall volume. Basically, when I don't want to drill a 7mm hole and route-out the material needed to accommodate the amp in thicker material. I love the oak. I did my first hardwood box out of red oak and it just looks really good. I did another red oak box recently and every time I turn my dust collector on my garage smells like vomit.

The Madeleine
                            The Roxster
                            Swopes 5.0
                            Acoustic Panels
                            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Gordy,

Thanks for the post!
                              I really appreciate your insights to the drivers, as I'm new to this (and have a limited budget.
                              I was going to do the similar thing, but with a downfiring subwoofer (for esthetic reasons).

What would the higher end TB drivers be?

I don't tend to have a lot of time, so would like to spend a little more to get friends/family something a little extra special.

Comment

Working...
                              X