Dayton DTA3116S mini amp on clearance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DTA3116S mini amp on clearance

These are on clearance now at a very attractive price: $16.72 including PS! I picked up two of them for future small projects.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-15w--300-3815
    Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

And add Bluetooth............
    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
      And add Bluetooth............
      I use one of these for that. PE does not carry anything like it so I don't feel bad linking to it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Wow, I wonder if that price is a mistake... I have one and it is a really nice sounding tiny amp. And it looks classy, too with the brushed aluminum case. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to pick up a few at that price.
        TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Couldn't sleep, so just for fun I hooked up this little amp to my Esoteries speakers from this year's MWAF.

Using the not-so-great cable box 'Music Choice' channel as a source, this amp drove those speakers fairly loud surprisingly. Also there was no discernible loss of bass that I could tell. Actually, I never listen to music that loud, unless I'm having a 'listening session' which doesn't happen much anymore.

For the current clearance price, it's a steal. Wonder if they just didn't sell as good as they thought they would? Sound quality is really good, no hiss I could tell. I'd like to hook it up to a real CD player in a few days to see what it can really do.

If you're picking one up, maybe throw one of these in the cart to connect to standard RCA jacks if you don't have one: https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...10-ft--240-066

I actually picked up three since I have some more small speaker projects planned in the next year or so. So I left you guys a few!

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Is its treble response load-invariant like good class AB amps? That's always my concern with my little class D thingies. Looks like a nice amp to use for testing purpose, but if its response at high frequencies is highly dependent on what load it's driving...
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              Wow, I wonder if that price is a mistake... I have one and it is a really nice sounding tiny amp. And it looks classy, too with the brushed aluminum case. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to pick up a few at that price.
              TomZ
              They have about 120 left in stock. About 20 sold since I posted this last night. The power supply alone usually runs about $10 or more. This is such a good deal that I may pick up a few more before they are gone!

Comment

Wow, what a deal. I just ordered two. I don't recall seeing anything about whether this particular amp can handle higher voltage, say 19 from a laptop supply, without caps asploding or anything. Anyone here try it? I looked around a bit on the net but didn't find much. Probably doesn't matter for me, since it most likely will do what I need on a 12 volt battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberator of Magic Smoke View Post
                  Wow, what a deal. I just ordered two. I don't recall seeing anything about whether this particular amp can handle higher voltage, say 19 from a laptop supply, without caps asploding or anything. Anyone here try it? I looked around a bit on the net but didn't find much. Probably doesn't matter for me, since it most likely will do what I need on a 12 volt battery.
                  The max voltage the 3116 can handle is 26V. I would keep it at 24V or under, provided the caps are rated appropriately. As this seems to be a pretty well built unit, I would assume that to be the case, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Looking at the pictures it looks like it would be pretty easy to open the case.

Comment

And just like that, the deal is gone. Up to $24.88 now and no free 3.5mm aux input cord either.

Thanks for the heads up and Iím glad I bought a few of them for future projects!

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                      And just like that, the deal is gone. Up to $24.88 now and no free 3.5mm aux input cord either.

Thanks for the heads up and I’m glad I bought a few of them for future projects!
                      I just saw that too. I am glad I picked up a few before that happened.

Comment

Ahh, I feel kind of bad. I wonder if it really was a mistake, that price seemed kind of low to be right unless they just wanted them gone for some reason... but with all the various buyouts they carry that seem to stick around for a long time, I doubt that.

Still, at $8 more it's a good deal for that amp with a power supply. I intend to fool a few friends when we have company over in the next couple of weeks with this amp. Super-tiny. It really does a nice job powering 4 ohm speakers to a decent level, and like I said... I don't think the bass is rolled off at all. I was getting some good rumble on a few songs that seemed in the mid- to low-30 Hz range.

TomZ

Comment

I don't think it was a mistake. I have seen them do this many times before. Dropping a price very steeply for a few days and then raising it back up to a more normal level and discount. I am not sure what thought process goes on in making these decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                            I don't think it was a mistake. I have seen them do this many times before. Dropping a price very steeply for a few days and then raising it back up to a more normal level and discount. I am not sure what thought process goes on in making these decisions.
                            Like a "loss Leader" product - to get you in the store to buy more, maybe upwards of $100 worth to get free shipping.

Comment

I didn't need one anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X