Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Monster Stereo Speakers. What's the largest you've built?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the smiley face?

Comment

The largest speaker I ever designed was these. I didn't build them, but I did the crossover and overall design. I think about them all the time. They were wonderful. Sadly, the tweeters are NLA (and the mids might be soon as well). But maybe someday, they can be reborn with newer, easier-to-obtain drivers.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...lly-named-them
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        and your 6'4" , 6'5" ? what were the 3 tweets like ?
        Paper Towers
        RS180P/28F surrounds
        Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
          Edit; wanted to ask were these a Vapor audio product and do you guys (Vapor) do your own cabinet work and or finishing, BTW it is very nice who ever is doing the work.
          Yeah, that was a customer build. They now reside in Vietnam. Ryan does the finish work. I programmed the CNC and prepped the stacked ply cabinets with a pneumatic sander. I dont recall the veneer name though. Ill ask Ryan for the species. Check wood-veneers.com. Awesome variety!
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

The largest speakers I've built we're the Omegarays which stood 6'4" tall. They had (10) Aurum Cantus AC130 MKII woofers with (8) Founteck CD2.0 ribbons. The bottom compartment contained a 12" AE (Stryke) sub which was actively powered.Rick Craig designed the crossover for the linearray portion. This was back in 2003 and I used them until the Statements took their place.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Omegarray 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1350285

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
              and your 6'4" , 6'5" ? what were the 3 tweets like ?
              Yup, 6' 4 1/2" tall. The tweeters and woofers were all pretty good vifa drivers at the time. It actually didn't sound as bad as you'd think it would. No distortion that I ever heard. I was around 30 yrs or so old at the time. All oak and particle board. Weighed a ton, the base was solid oak and that alone must have weighed 50 lbs...At least the cabinets were solid.

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

You’ll have to excuse the mess (was still in the setting up stages), but here is the biggest sub I’ve built. It was in our old place for our bedroom system. It’s a sub/component holder, at least that’s what I told my wife. It housed 4 tc sounds epic 12s and if I remember it was right around 14-16 cubic feet tuned to 20 Hz. It was powered by a Peavey IPR7500. It was overkill for our 12x16 bedroom.

Dan

Comment

My take on big speakers:

Name:	Left Cavehorn Foam Upright.gif
Views:	3
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1350397

RSS390HF-4 up to 150Hz, SEAS W18E001s from 150Hz to 750Hz, modified Altec 511 horn with TAD TD2002 driver from 750Hz on up. The center of the horn sits at ear height, 35". Active crossover with all slopes LR24, using a modified DCX2496, with QSC RMX850 amp for the bass, Parasound Halo A21 for the mid, and First Watt J2 to drive the horn. I intended to finish them, but once the engineering and construction was done I just never got around to it. Probably never will
                  Francis

Comment

The picture is my avatar in my profile. 6 inches by 24 inches by 8 feet. 34 individual tubular cabinets, 40 tweeters, two 10 x 32 x15 inch ported woofer cabinets.

Comment

Name:	fetch?photoid=1350408.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1350412

I'm 6'2" and these are just a shade shorter than me, so very likely 6' tall. Dual 12's and single 18's. This is my best friends in-laws garage stereo. (No I'm not joking). The largest setup I've built from scratch.
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                        I'm 6'2" and these are just a shade shorter than me, so very likely 6' tall. Dual 12's and single 18's. This is my best friends in-laws garage stereo. (No I'm not joking). The largest setup I've built from scratch.
                        LOL, is there enough room left to wrench on a car in there?

Comment

Name:	Altec Complete 011.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	1350428 My recent Altec Lansing build. 48 inches tall, 36 inches wide, 24 inches deep. It's a corner cabinet with Altec 416-8Z woofer, 511B horn, 802D driver, and Beyma CP21/F super tweeter slot horn.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Originally posted by gdmoore28 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1350428[/ATTACH] My recent Altec Lansing build. 48 inches tall, 36 inches wide, 24 inches deep. It's a corner cabinet with Altec 416-8Z woofer, 511B horn, 802D driver, and Beyma CP21/F super tweeter slot horn.

GeeDeeEmm
                            Good to see someone else using the venerable 511B! Very nice looking, too! Is the super tweeter between the horn and woofer?
                            Francis

Comment

Eric

Comment

2 Subs - each 46.75" x 22.5" 17.75" 10.8 cu ft external - 21.6 cu ft total
                                ( largest attainable from 2 sheets of MDF )
                                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X