X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a 6.5" mid

This will the mid in an MTM with a 12" woofer on the bottom

The tweeter is a BG Neo3.

Fully active crossover with EQ (MiniDSP 2x8)

Looking to stay in the $30-40 range.

The choices :

MCM 55-5665 - 6.5" Die Cast Woofer 8 Ohm Rubber Surround

Dayton Audio RS150P-4 6" Reference Paper Woofer 4 Ohm

Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Woofer Wool Cone 4 ohm

Hi-Vi LK6.5 6.5" Woven Kevlar Cone Woofer - 6 ohm

Hi-Vi L6-4R 6" Woven Kevlar Cone - 4 ohm

Hi-Vi F6 Kevlar/Paper Cone 7" Woofer

Or???

Dynavox do a nice 6.5" at a great price if you know where to look.. It also has a sloping response, which can be useful if you want tonuse a side firing woofer

Comment

Dynavox do a nice 6.5" at a great price if you know where to look.. It also has a sloping response, which can be useful if you want tonuse a side firing woofer

Comment

MCM 55-5665 - I think it would work, but this is more of a woofer than a midbass.

Dayton Audio RS150P-4 - If you use them in series for the MTM, I think these will be easier than most of the others to mate with the Neo3.

Silver Flute W17RC38-04 - I used these xovered at 2.3k to the YAG-20, but I think there are better mids out there for this purpose.

Hi-Vi LK6.5 6.5" Woven Kevlar Cone Woofer - 6 ohm - Lumpier response than the L6-4R, so it might prove more difficult.

Hi-Vi L6-4R 6" Woven Kevlar Cone - 4 ohm - I think the BG Neo3 and these will match tonality /sonically fairly well.

Hi-Vi F6 Kevlar/Paper Cone 7" Woofer - Huge flange, love the sound, and wide enough bandwidth. I feel that the sonic character is more alike planars like the AMTs or HiVi RT series.

That said- all of these would work with the Neo3, but sonically well blended is what you need to find out. I used the Neo3PDR with the HiVi D5G in my Trichotomies, and used a xover point of about 1.8k. The BG can do this, and Eric duplicated a similar result with his attempt at the D5G/Neo3 for this recently passed MWAF. IME, a careful use of a CR shunt filter can make or break the design on the Neo3. Too effective = dead, not enough = ssssibilant.

Have fun!
        Wolf

"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Why a 6-7" midwoofer driver for a midrange? It's a bit of a large format driver, in a midrange you need the high frequency dispersion and extension more than you need the excursion and bass extension on the low end.

Of the drivers you've listed, go for the RS150P, because it's the smallest. But I would really like to recommend a driver that is designed to be a midrange, like Scan-Speak 15M/4624G.
          Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
            Why a 6-7" midwoofer driver for a midrange? It's a bit of a large format driver, in a midrange you need the high frequency dispersion and extension more than you need the excursion and bass extension on the low end.

Of the drivers you've listed, go for the RS150P, because it's the smallest. But I would really like to recommend a driver that is designed to be a midrange, like Scan-Speak 15M/4624G.
            It would be a lot easier for a 6.5 to keep up with a 12 inch woofer. Sometimes your lower mids really sound thin with small mids and larhe woofers.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post

It would be a lot easier for a 6.5 to keep up with a 12 inch woofer. Sometimes your lower mids really sound thin with small mids and larhe woofers.
              That sounds more like a driver integration issue than a driver size issue. Do you think the Zaph SB12.3 is a speaker that would sound thin? I've used a 10" woofer with a 3" midrange and it didn't sound thin. Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting a 3" mid here, but rather a 5" that would better suit the high frequency crossover, ideally with a short magnetic gap and high sensitivity to make the best of a passband of 300Hz+. It's just too bad that not many manufacturer's make dedicated midrange drivers, rather midbass units for the more popular 2-way bookshelf format, though there's a few fullrange and pro drivers that fit the description.
              Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I was thinking the 6.5 inch would be a good choice then I saw this was an MTM. The MTM seems like a bit of a waste of second mid.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Couple of reasons for the larger mid ..

1. I like the sound of a large paper mid. My current system (a JBL 4350 clone) uses a 10" mid (FaitalPRO 10FE200)

2. These are going to be a 'mini' version of the Wilson Alexandria. Each driver in its own cabinet .. all angled toward the listener. The Wilson uses 7" mids.

3. The effective range of the mid will probably be 300Hz-3KHz

Another option is the FaitalPRO 6FE200

This will be a fully active system, so I can flatten out any notches, peaks, or wiggles with EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post

That sounds more like a driver integration issue than a driver size issue. Do you think the Zaph SB12.3 is a speaker that would sound thin? I've used a 10" woofer with a 3" midrange and it didn't sound thin. Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting a 3" mid here, but rather a 5" that would better suit the high frequency crossover, ideally with a short magnetic gap and high sensitivity to make the best of a passband of 300Hz+. It's just too bad that not many manufacturer's make dedicated midrange drivers, rather midbass units for the more popular 2-way bookshelf format, though there's a few fullrange and pro drivers that fit the description.
                    I missed the mtm part. 4 and 5 inch drivers would work great.
                    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Well .. now I am considering a 5" mid .. lots more options. Maybe the RS-125P

Comment

I know the RS125 is labeled as a 5", but it's really more like a 4.5" in terms of Sd. The RS150 is the better bet.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Peerless by Tymphany 830874 6-1/2" PPB Cone HDS Woofer. I have heard good things about this driver.

Comment

The Discovery 5" mid is quite solid. Efficient, too - might do the job of two.

Comment

I am using a pair of Visiton WS-17E as mid woofers and they have a smooth sound well into the mid-range.

The Eminence Alpha-6A midrange might be worth looking at also. I have listened to the 8A and it had a nice mid-range, the 6A should be similar.

If you are considering 5" drivers, the FaitelPRO 5FE120 has a nice flat response graph.

Comment

Working...
                              X