Questions on a Solstice build?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on a Solstice build?

I am ordering the Solstice Kit this week and wanted to pose two questions. Since I am somewhat of an advanced amateur sawdust man, I would like to build the cabinets myself with two modifications:

1) I would like to build the cabinets out of 3/4" birch ply instead of the mdf package provided with the kit. I know the pros and cons of ply versus mdf have been discussed adnauseam, with no real conclusions?

2) For the Front Baffle I just wanted to add a piece of 3/4" ply to the entire front and do away with the partial teardrop piece.

Just wanted to see if there was any reasons anyone could think of to not make these modifications.

Thanks!

I am considering a purchase as well and would also be interested in hearing about the teardrop piece. I would like to replace it with something easier to laminate and that looks more pleasing to me.

Comment

The MDF used on the flat packs is a very high quality material, not like the kind you see at home improvement stores.

Changing the front baffle wouldn't be an issue, but the inner baffle gets a large chamfer cut around the back side of the woofer holes so they have more 'breathing' room.

Comment

Thanks Erich H. for the reply. Just to clarify if I do build the cabinets out of plywood I would be building the cabinet to the exact dimensions and detail as the kit (with the exception of making the front baffle cover the entire front ). BTW I think I might pull the trigger on some quilted Makore veneer so hopefully the final product will make the wife happy!

Comment

Doing away with the teardrop baffle shape will have no audible effect. So your plan to make the front baffle one smooth piece is a good one.

I personally like working with birch ply.
          Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            Doing away with the teardrop baffle shape will have no audible effect. So your plan to make the front baffle one smooth piece is a good one.

I personally like working with birch ply.

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure that the mdf provided is good stuff, but I really am not a fan and would much prefer working with good plywood.

Comment

I can understand if one has to build the cabinet from scratch. MDF is nasty to work with ... and birch ply is so much better. But if the CNC cut flat pack is included with the kit, and is made of high quality MDF, i don't really see a reason to go with ply. I've assembled several of Erich's kit, and his flat packs make life so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by cacophonix View Post
                I can understand if one has to build the cabinet from scratch. MDF is nasty to work with ... and birch ply is so much better. But if the CNC cut flat pack is included with the kit, and is made of high quality MDF, i don't really see a reason to go with ply. I've assembled several of Erich's kit, and his flat packs make life so much easier.

Please know that I'm not questioning the quality of the mdf flat pack, one can tell from all the positive reviews that is top quality, and I will end up with the same quality either way. I just really want to make the cabinet myself, and since I do, I really prefer to make it out of plywood.

Comment

Than why order the kit with the flat pack? Do they offer a “Bare Bones” kit? I’m sure you could just order the drivers and crossover components. The dimensions or a drawing of the box should also be available somewhere,,,, no? You won’t be paying for wood you won’t use and should save on shipping weight!

Am I missing something?

Good Luck! Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                    Than why order the kit with the flat pack? Do they offer a “Bare Bones” kit? I’m sure you could just order the drivers and crossover components. The dimensions or a drawing of the box should also be available somewhere,,,, no? You won’t be paying for wood you won’t use and should save on shipping weight!

Am I missing something?

Good Luck! Mark
                    Great question. I read on this forum about that very question and it was answered that they wouldn't break up the package, but will ask when I order. It would certainly make sense in my case.

Comment

The package represents a substantial discount over individual components, buy the whole kit and sell the cabinets. What part of the country are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                        The package represents a substantial discount over individual components, buy the whole kit and sell the cabinets. What part of the country are you in?
                        Yep, great price and great reviews. Southwest Florida.

Comment

Having built the MDF kit, I agree that the teardrop baffle is not fun. The shape means you cannot veneer it (at least I don't have the talent to do so), but you could certainly build the rest of the box from the kit parts and replace that baffle with one of your own that's easier to work with. The teardrop does have rounded edges; you may need to duplicate that.

Comment

Working...
                          X