Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

So, I'm working on a slim MTM tower with SB15NRXC30-8 in a Kittinger MLTL. My original plan is starting to encounter some scope creep, and I've decided to just embrace it. Out with the XT25, in with some flat diaphragm.

I'm not set on a crossover point, but I have a feeling I'll need something that can at least do 2nd order @ 2.5khz.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to grab some Neo3 PDRs, but I've been out of the loop long enough that there are a number of new product lines and I would not want to miss out on the new hotness. The Beston RT002A looks super nice for today's sale price (even if they're at the edge of my arbitrary 2.5khz limit). I may grab a pair of those on a whim regardless.
    nothing can stop me now

subscribed. Good question!
    In my limited experience with ribbons / planar tweeters, I feel that they sound better if you don't stress them
    with a low(wish) crossover.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

2.5kHz is a stretch (pun) for quite a few planars, most preferring 3k+. BG Neo3 will do it. RT1.3(WE) *MIGHT* get there. The Dayton PT2-C will, but the response is not easy to work with. The Bestons are better at 3kHz+. I don't know about other options below $100.

Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I think that's true of all tweeters, Don. :D

In my case, the design is far enough along that the woofers will dominate the design decisions. They have some breakup hash that starts just above 4khz, and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. I think the Neo3 would do it, but before I add them to my cart I was hoping Wolf would stop by with a recommendation on some unassuming tweeter that just blows everything out of the water. ;)
        nothing can stop me now

Comment

Not a planar/ribbon exactly...but I'd go for Dayton AMT3-4.
          "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
          exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I've got the Neo3 and like it, and am planning to use it in a new build, but for $100 it looks like decibel's reco might be the best.
            Looks like it can be used at 2.5Khz with a 3rd order.

For $150, I'm excited by the Aurum Cantus 2560 aero-striction. The SB15 might be worth a better tweeter.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Dirk, I used the Beston RTA002A here with great results. Really shines on and off axis crossed at 3KHz.

http://projectgallery.parts-express..../the-vintages/
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

My Marcato design was an MTM with a Neo3 and a pair of Usher 8945Ps. Dan Neubecker designed the crossover with a corner at 2300 Hz. At the corner midwoofers and Neo3 rolled off at 2nd-order, but below 2 kHz, the tweeter rolled off very steeply, something like 8th order.
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                  I've got the Neo3 and like it, and am planning to use it in a new build, but for $100 it looks like decibel's reco might be the best.
                  Looks like it can be used at 2.5Khz with a 3rd order.

For $150, I'm excited by the Aurum Cantus 2560 aero-striction. The SB15 might be worth a better tweeter.
                  AST2560 for the win. 2000Hz without an issue. Very low distortion, very linear response. Class leading performance.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I agree the 2560 is a good recommendation, but it's 1/3 again more expensive and definitely over $100.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I used a super tweeter with the AMT3-4.
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Hmm. On the 2560, do you need to compensate for the 7khz dip? They're more expensive, but it just means I wouldn't impulse-buy the Bestons (which would just sit on my shelf for years anyway).

I like the look of the Dayton, but it just doesn't have enough sensitivity below 3khz. If this were an active job or a 3-way...yeah.
                        nothing can stop me now

Comment

Oook. No rear chamber on the Aurum Cantus. I guess I could put something together with 3D printer, but that's more than I want to deal with, and the MLTL doesn't leave a lot of room behind the tweeter for a sub enclosure. Neo3 it is I guess.
                          nothing can stop me now

Comment

Beston crossed at approx. 2.5k 2nd order LR. My every day speakers.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_180201.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1351083
                            Last edited by kenny_k; 11-01-2017, 12:49 AM.
                            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I've used the BG Neo3 in two builds and its about to go into my biggest and most ambitious to date. Fantastic tweeter.

Comment

Working...
                              X