Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...
    nothing can stop me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk View Post
      I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...
      Those Fountek 146 mid woofers look pretty sweet at that price.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Troels Gravesen, on his site, likes the HiVi RT2H planar, which is $100. I am not sure how low it can cross, have never used it. It looks a lot like the Beston visually. He speaks of it having electrostatic clarity.

Comment

Jim Holtz's Bordeaux uses the AST2560 and I THINK he mentioned not having to make a rear chamber.

Comment

Yeah, that design is open-back.

I pulled the trigger on the BGs...and also the Bestons and Fountek FW146 because I'm evidently short on impulse control. I'mma be set on projects for a good long while. I'll definitely have something new to bring to InDIYana. Maybe a couple of somethings.
            nothing can stop me now

Comment

Thanks for clarification - also...well done on the impulse buys!

Comment

Good call Steve! The HIVI RT2 models would do it. They are good to about 2.3-2.5k range.
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Beston has a hump from 2-3k before roll off. I think that's going to allow an electrical XO that is significantly higher than acoustic.
                  nothing can stop me now

Comment

Working...
                  X