Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    I've got the Neo3 and like it, and am planning to use it in a new build, but for $100 it looks like decibel's reco might be the best.
    Looks like it can be used at 2.5Khz with a 3rd order.

For $150, I'm excited by the Aurum Cantus 2560 aero-striction. The SB15 might be worth a better tweeter.
    AST2560 for the win. 2000Hz without an issue. Very low distortion, very linear response. Class leading performance.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied
    My Marcato design was an MTM with a Neo3 and a pair of Usher 8945Ps. Dan Neubecker designed the crossover with a corner at 2300 Hz. At the corner midwoofers and Neo3 rolled off at 2nd-order, but below 2 kHz, the tweeter rolled off very steeply, something like 8th order.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• hongrn
    replied
    Dirk, I used the Beston RTA002A here with great results. Really shines on and off axis crossed at 3KHz.

http://projectgallery.parts-express..../the-vintages/

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

I've got the Neo3 and like it, and am planning to use it in a new build, but for $100 it looks like decibel's reco might be the best.
    Looks like it can be used at 2.5Khz with a 3rd order.

For $150, I'm excited by the Aurum Cantus 2560 aero-striction. The SB15 might be worth a better tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• dcibel
    replied
    Not a planar/ribbon exactly...but I'd go for Dayton AMT3-4.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    I think that's true of all tweeters, Don. :D

In my case, the design is far enough along that the woofers will dominate the design decisions. They have some breakup hash that starts just above 4khz, and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. I think the Neo3 would do it, but before I add them to my cart I was hoping Wolf would stop by with a recommendation on some unassuming tweeter that just blows everything out of the water. ;)

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    2.5kHz is a stretch (pun) for quite a few planars, most preferring 3k+. BG Neo3 will do it. RT1.3(WE) *MIGHT* get there. The Dayton PT2-C will, but the response is not easy to work with. The Bestons are better at 3kHz+. I don't know about other options below $100.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    subscribed. Good question!
    In my limited experience with ribbons / planar tweeters, I feel that they sound better if you don't stress them
    with a low(wish) crossover.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X