Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk
    started a topic $100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

So, I'm working on a slim MTM tower with SB15NRXC30-8 in a Kittinger MLTL. My original plan is starting to encounter some scope creep, and I've decided to just embrace it. Out with the XT25, in with some flat diaphragm.

I'm not set on a crossover point, but I have a feeling I'll need something that can at least do 2nd order @ 2.5khz.

My knee-jerk reaction would be to grab some Neo3 PDRs, but I've been out of the loop long enough that there are a number of new product lines and I would not want to miss out on the new hotness. The Beston RT002A looks super nice for today's sale price (even if they're at the edge of my arbitrary 2.5khz limit). I may grab a pair of those on a whim regardless.

• Dirk
    replied
    The Beston has a hump from 2-3k before roll off. I think that's going to allow an electrical XO that is significantly higher than acoustic.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Good call Steve! The HIVI RT2 models would do it. They are good to about 2.3-2.5k range.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Thanks for clarification - also...well done on the impulse buys!

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Yeah, that design is open-back.

I pulled the trigger on the BGs...and also the Bestons and Fountek FW146 because I'm evidently short on impulse control. I'mma be set on projects for a good long while. I'll definitely have something new to bring to InDIYana. Maybe a couple of somethings.

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Jim Holtz's Bordeaux uses the AST2560 and I THINK he mentioned not having to make a rear chamber.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Troels Gravesen, on his site, likes the HiVi RT2H planar, which is $100. I am not sure how low it can cross, have never used it. It looks a lot like the Beston visually. He speaks of it having electrostatic clarity.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...
    Those Fountek 146 mid woofers look pretty sweet at that price.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb9999
    replied
    I've used the BG Neo3 in two builds and its about to go into my biggest and most ambitious to date. Fantastic tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Beston crossed at approx. 2.5k 2nd order LR. My every day speakers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_180201.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1351083
    Last edited by kenny_k; 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Oook. No rear chamber on the Aurum Cantus. I guess I could put something together with 3D printer, but that's more than I want to deal with, and the MLTL doesn't leave a lot of room behind the tweeter for a sub enclosure. Neo3 it is I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Hmm. On the 2560, do you need to compensate for the 7khz dip? They're more expensive, but it just means I wouldn't impulse-buy the Bestons (which would just sit on my shelf for years anyway).

I like the look of the Dayton, but it just doesn't have enough sensitivity below 3khz. If this were an active job or a 3-way...yeah.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    I used a super tweeter with the AMT3-4.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I agree the 2560 is a good recommendation, but it's 1/3 again more expensive and definitely over $100.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X