Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 planar / ribbons... who's the class leader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk
    replied
    The Beston has a hump from 2-3k before roll off. I think that's going to allow an electrical XO that is significantly higher than acoustic.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Good call Steve! The HIVI RT2 models would do it. They are good to about 2.3-2.5k range.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Thanks for clarification - also...well done on the impulse buys!

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Yeah, that design is open-back.

I pulled the trigger on the BGs...and also the Bestons and Fountek FW146 because I'm evidently short on impulse control. I'mma be set on projects for a good long while. I'll definitely have something new to bring to InDIYana. Maybe a couple of somethings.

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    Jim Holtz's Bordeaux uses the AST2560 and I THINK he mentioned not having to make a rear chamber.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Troels Gravesen, on his site, likes the HiVi RT2H planar, which is $100. I am not sure how low it can cross, have never used it. It looks a lot like the Beston visually. He speaks of it having electrostatic clarity.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirk View Post
    I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...
    Those Fountek 146 mid woofers look pretty sweet at that price.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    I'm thinking the Beston would go well with the Fountek that's also on sale for $31...

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb9999
    replied
    I've used the BG Neo3 in two builds and its about to go into my biggest and most ambitious to date. Fantastic tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied
    Beston crossed at approx. 2.5k 2nd order LR. My every day speakers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161111_180201.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1351083
    Last edited by kenny_k; 11-01-2017, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Oook. No rear chamber on the Aurum Cantus. I guess I could put something together with 3D printer, but that's more than I want to deal with, and the MLTL doesn't leave a lot of room behind the tweeter for a sub enclosure. Neo3 it is I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Dirk
    replied
    Hmm. On the 2560, do you need to compensate for the 7khz dip? They're more expensive, but it just means I wouldn't impulse-buy the Bestons (which would just sit on my shelf for years anyway).

I like the look of the Dayton, but it just doesn't have enough sensitivity below 3khz. If this were an active job or a 3-way...yeah.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    I used a super tweeter with the AMT3-4.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I agree the 2560 is a good recommendation, but it's 1/3 again more expensive and definitely over $100.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    I've got the Neo3 and like it, and am planning to use it in a new build, but for $100 it looks like decibel's reco might be the best.
    Looks like it can be used at 2.5Khz with a 3rd order.

For $150, I'm excited by the Aurum Cantus 2560 aero-striction. The SB15 might be worth a better tweeter.
    AST2560 for the win. 2000Hz without an issue. Very low distortion, very linear response. Class leading performance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X