No announcement yet.

Music and your emotions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting because there's a theory out there that people who feel strong emotions when listening to music are "special".

https://www.indy100.com/article/musi..._campaign=i100

I know that for me, I have been moved to tear or had goosebumps before. But it's situational. It's not like you can listen to the same thing over and over again and expect the same emotional response.

They also hinted that people who are effected by music in this way may also be more emotional in general.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Indeed. Most recently this: It made me think of standing in the street with my brothers as a boy, looking up into huge falling snowflakes under a streetlight and that weird muffled silence that goes with it. (Your laptop speakers won't work here) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cGC6N-oQs
      Last edited by Neis; 11-02-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I can't think of an example where I was moved to tears with music alone, though strong emotional response is definitely common with the right music. Combine in a movie though, and now you're talking.

My example: Mad World at the end of Donnie Darko. The song is a brilliant interpretation of the Tears for Fears original by Gary Jules, and combined with the soundless agony of the characters at the end of the film really hits hard.

Originally posted by malboro2 View Post
        Yes... and for a real eye opener, someone here recommended that I read: THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSIC by Daniel J Levitin(PhD). I procured it on interlibrary loan, and its a terrific book that explains exactly why this is the case(and lots of other amazing things about how we perceive music).
        I think that was me. Fantastic book!
        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
        Wogg Music

Comment

I couldn't imagine not being moved to, at a minimum goose bumps with music, this is why I love music so much. I'm not a big movie person at all, I'm not saying I don't enjoy movies or that I'm not "moved" by movies, but it's nothing compared to hearing a song that moves me for the first time. Almost everywhere I go and thru just about everything I do I'm listening to music. The odd thing with music for me is, when I first hear a song I could hate it, but after hearing it a few times I love it, and depending on the situation a song I once hated could even end up being one of those songs that moves me to goosebumps or even tears. The opposite is even true, I've heard songs I thought I loved but after hearing them a few times I hate them.

Originally posted by djkest View Post
          This is interesting because there's a theory out there that people who feel strong emotions when listening to music are "special".

https://www.indy100.com/article/musi..._campaign=i100

I know that for me, I have been moved to tear or had goosebumps before. But it's situational. It's not like you can listen to the same thing over and over again and expect the same emotional response.

They also hinted that people who are effected by music in this way may also be more emotional in general.
          ​IMO, based on the responses in this thread I'd actually say that whoever is not moved by music would be "special", since I would wager that (substantially) more than half of people alive are moved by music in some way. Maybe this is because I surround myself with people that love music? But throughout my life I've definitely known more people that are "moved" by music than people that aren't. And to make the statement that "people who are effected by music in this way may also be more emotional" is akin to saying, "people who eat a lot of chocolate candy bars probably like chocolate".

​Kind of on topic... I read a statement once that said, "Sometimes I get scared that my favorite song is out there somewhere and I'll never find it".
          "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
          "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
            "Sometimes I get scared that my favorite song is out there somewhere and I'll never find it".
            New favorite from a Goosebump Queen

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
              New favorite from a Goosebump Queen

​My wife and I's wedding song was When You Say Nothing At All, so definitely a fan.
              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Ah- the Keith Whitley cover. To be honest, I prefer his version. He was 36 when alcoholism took him.
                For that matter, Keith's stuff strikes a cord with me in general.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNU7iIdw7Ss

I've probably mentioned his version to you before in passing.

This is one of my faves from him:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vh1dvD6Npc
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I was shocked a few years ago when my brother told me he found a song that sent a shiver up and down his spine. I had assumed everyone feels it when they hear a song that moves them, but apparently that's not the case. For me, I get that feeling almost constantly when listening to a song I love, from the delicate Rhode Island by The Innocence Mission to the heartfelt desperation of ...And the Survey Says by One Way Letter.

As far as tears go, one of the most moving experiences I've had is listening to Metallica's Orion for the first time. Also, I can't watch the Nothing Compares 2 U music video without shedding a tear or two.
                  Eric L.

Comment

...by Sinead O'Connor- that's a pretty moving piece too!

The tear jerkers are out there!
                    Wolf
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Its funny (although probably not surprising to Hong), but - in my experience - a good portion of the music that elicits an emotional response from me is not overly "sentimental" sounding. In fact, those that do usually are not "tear jerker" songs. Many times it is music that has a "harder" sound.
                      Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

This whole soundtrack moved me

Comment

...while Hong gets excited when blue LEDs are lit close to his proximity.

Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

you girls cry at movies too ?
                            Paper Towers
                            RS180P/28F surrounds
                            Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              ...while Hong gets excited when blue LEDs are lit close to his proximity.

Wolf
                              I call it "Blue Light Frenzy".
                              Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

This is an interesting thread and one that tells me I fall outside many of the group here.

I'm not an emotional listener. I'm very analytical/critical listener and admire technical excellence both in performance and recording quality. I really enjoy well done music that falls into the genre that I prefer. However, when I hear a new song, I'll tear it apart in my head. If it ticks all the boxes, I'll put it on my play list, if not, I may not listen again.

Jim
                                Last edited by Jim Holtz; 11-02-2017, 10:34 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                                X