Some magnetic fun with the kiddo...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some magnetic fun with the kiddo...

My daughter (5) had a recent E-Learning requirement that touched on magnets, positive/negative poles and attraction/repulsion. I strongly influenced the learning of this section with some speaker related visual aids. I got out some small Neo magnets and showed attraction and repulsion. She giggled when they flipped and stuck on their own, and couldn't get them back apart.

I took one of my spare large ceramic speaker magnets from a dead subwoofer (7" diameter) and a few paperclips and we experimented until I couldn't hold the big thing any longer. Then I thought about electromagnets using a voltage source. I grabbed one of my NiMH 9V batteries, a large 10.0mH I-core coil (so it had a lot of turns and a ferrous center), the same paperclips, and the radial neo-magnet from another dead driver.

I laid the paperclip on the table a few inches from the coil, and popped the coil with the 9VDC, and the paperclip shot to the coil. She grinned and squealed with glee, and said, "Do it again!" Eventually I let her try it as well. Then I laid the Neo-magnet on the table a few inches away. I popped the steel-laminate with the 9V battery, and the SL-coil moved toward the magnet of its own volition! That's not a small force!! This is a 14AWG 10mH "I150" Steel-Laminate from Intertechnik that I acquired some time ago. Needless to say- I was impressed that it moved!

So I had fun too with learning about magnets, coils, fields, and attraction/repulsion.
    She had fun too.

The battery had a workout, it was about dead, and was warm to the touch when we were finished

Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Sounds like a good time. I hope you taught her "North" and "South" poles, not positive and negative.
    Craig

Comment

Fantastic! I always liked sandwiching the magnets on a table or tray and moving the top one around magically.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Funny! I just did this the other day with my 4yo daughter working on the speaker for her bicycle. She loved it!

Ill have to steal some of the things you did wolf to show her and learn.

PR, I taught her north and south 😏😏
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I told here 'likes repel, and opposites attract.' I did not use the north and south poles, but will eventually get there. I guess I did mistype in the original post, as you are indeed correct.

It has to be a large inductance and a steel laminate core to work. The core has to be charged to attract the paperclip. Air cores will not work.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Comment

!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	magnets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	1351302

Comment

Another neat experiment is to show her how aluminum isn't attracted to magnets, until you move it past one. When the aluminum cuts the field lines, a current is induced into the aluminum which in turn creates a magnetic field that tends to stop the motion of the aluminum.
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

Working...
                X