To Zobel or not to Zobel...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Zobel or not to Zobel...

So I have a subwoofer that I finished (I think) recently. It sounds nice. I like it. It is not driven anywhere near the limits of the drivers or the amp. But I wonder if it could be better. So two questions: What might I gain with a Zobel circuit? And, if I were to install one, do I lose anything tangible if I use an electrolytic cap?

No benefit to a subwoofer. The main purpose of a Zobel is to flatten the rising impedance of a driver caused by the Le in the voice coil. Doing so allows a passive low pass filter to properly roll off as expected and improves your woofer / tweeter or mid hand off.

For a subwoofer, presumably actively powered by itself, there is no reason to add parts.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
      .... Doing so allows a passive low pass filter to properly roll off as expected and improves your woofer / tweeter or mid hand off.....
      - Yeah don't see the point unless part of a conjugate passive circuit

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Neis View Post
        So I have a subwoofer that I finished (I think) recently. It sounds nice. I like it. It is not driven anywhere near the limits of the drivers or the amp. But I wonder if it could be better. So two questions: What might I gain with a Zobel circuit? And, if I were to install one, do I lose anything tangible if I use an electrolytic cap?
        If you position it in the corner of the room on the floor, it will get the maximum boundary effect boost.
        You won't know if you like it until you try it, but it will definitely be louder.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Great. This was my hunch but it is nice to be sure. And it is in a corner. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X