Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any crossover nerds want to take on a mentee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of those mids will go 3 times louder than all the subs and all but the beyma "tweeter" and it starts to roll off around 12K it sounds pretty dark as a tweeter.
    My good rule of thumb is to have the tweet 2 dB less sensitive than the mid, the mid 2 dB less than the woof(s) etc. (because of baffle step, wavelength etc).

Or even drivers/combinations of multiple drivers with the same sensitivity would be a much better start and not just from the passive stand-point.

I would go back to the drawing board with these things in mind. I often design systems with only measurement gear and math. I don't like anything "simulated"
    (except low frequency boxes).

I would be glad to help if some of those goals were met.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
      We paired the Acoustic Elegance TD10M with the TPL150H in a beast of a monitor crossed at 1000Hz. The passive XO for the TPL took a few parts to EQ the response to flat but the result was superb. Flat response from about 60Hz on up. All it needs is a sub and you have something capable of very high SPL with minimal power.
      That sounds like a killer combo. I'd love to try the Beyma AMT, but they are too pricey for my blood. I really like the Dayton AMTPRO, but below 2.5kHz it doesn't meet the high sensitivity requirement, though it still can make a high SPL without strain. It does have a very wide radiation pattern in the 1-2kHz range, so if you could attach a horn to it like the TPL150H I've no doubt you could get a decent sensitivity gain by redirecting that off-axis energy outwards.
      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

I think some people in this thread got confused when the OP posted that he is looking for someone to call on for some advice when designing the crossover, then posted a bunch of things that were being contemplated for the build. It doesn't look like he's looking for advice of what to buy to meet his goals, from my personal conversations with guitar maestro it sounds like he knows what he wants, but hasn't got the details nailed down yet, so the quest for crossover advice is still a bit premature, but at least he's got what he needs lined up for the future.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
          All of those mids will go 3 times louder than all the subs
          The plan is to run the bass drivers @ 2 ohms nominal impedance, which would be much lower than the rest of the drivers. Of course it doesn't change the 1W sensitivity of them, but they will pull more power to bring the voltage sensitivity more "in-line" with the rest of the drivers, even if they can't fully "catch up", at which point I fine tune the rest of the system as much as I can via the crossover, and then ultra-fine tune with DSP (likely a dbx Driverack PA+, of which I own 2 and I really like their operation). If you can, trust me when I say that I know that they will not self-equalize to the higher sensitivity of the other driver's that are starting much higher than them [bass drivers]. Thanks for the input xmax.

At the moment I'm trying to see if the small "toy" 3D printers at my work have sufficient capability to print out some horns for AMT's. If they can tackle the job, then I will have the monumental task of finding out which flare geometries would be beneficial to the AMT apertures to have them 3D printed. Would be sweet. Oh well, for the time being, I'm going to continue looking/evaluating prospective drivers. Today I stopped at my bank finalize a purchase with the Hygeia Electrical Co. (manufacturer of the Airborne AMTs) for 12 AMT tweeters (4 each of the RT-5002s, RT-4001's, and RT-2005's) for a measely $428 shipped). Speaker hoarding at it's best!

I can't believe I forgot about the Acoustic Elegance drivers! Might make good candidates. The designer of the Lambda motor for the Acoustic Elegance driver's later on went into his other passion, motorsports, and actually put together a very nice set of race ported heads for my race car. Unfortunately he passed a few years ago.

Comment

Interesting thread.

Comment

I have some TPL-150Hs like new I might sell cheap if you want them soon. I think the TPL is the only one of the bunch that could keep up with the
              larger mid in both output and necessary low x-over point.

Comment

Also I think you will like the Ultimax sub over the HO, I use them both but only in sealed designs.

Comment

I have some TPL-150Hs like new I might sell cheap if you want them soon. I think the TPL is the only one of the bunch that could keep up with the
                  The Aurum Cantus AST25120 has the guts to keep up too.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  Gravity is an overrated force on the cosmic scale. Physicists are missing the bigger picture. They fell into a black hole and were never seen advancing the understanding of the cosmos again.

Comment

I use these and like them!
                    http://usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%2010rs350-1.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

The Aurum Cantus AST25120 has the guts to keep up too.

Yes somebody posted some measurements of those the other day and they seemed too good to be true! I will be getting some of those
                      to measure and listen to asap! I have not been crazy about Aero Striction tweets in the past, but I need to give them another
                      chance!

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Driver hoarding has begun !!! (or rather resumed from previous years, lol) This doesn't mean I will choose to use these, but I still wanted to buy them just for the heck of it.

Soon to come: other AMT drivers, lots others. These are definitely massive. Makes my lowes utility knife look more tiny that it already is, lol.

Comment

Working...
                          X