Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any crossover nerds want to take on a mentee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I make a suggestion- I installed a dremel cutting wheel in my drill press, and used that to cut the rear off a couple horns when I did the Mr East project. You get a uniform distance that way, and it's otherwise a bit awkward to cut where you want it. I agree that it looks like the horn and 5002 combo will mate well.

Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have that horn it but didn't even occur to me to try it, great idea. Thanks.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Can I make a suggestion- I installed a dremel cutting wheel in my drill press, and used that to cut the rear off a couple horns when I did the Mr East project. You get a uniform distance that way, and it's otherwise a bit awkward to cut where you want it. I agree that it looks like the horn and 5002 combo will mate well.

Wolf

That's pretty much what I was gonna do, except I am probably gonna use a slitting wheel on my milling machine, just to be more fancy-schmancy. Either that or I can use my 7x12" horizontal/vertical bandsaw.

Comment

Preliminary fit-up of an Airborne RT-5002 AMT with a modified P.E. H110 horn:

The aspect ratio is off (horn is wider than the AMT when the height is correct), but it's nothing a little work can't fix:

Another AMT that might work with the same horn, the Dayton AMTPRO-4, albeit with multiple horns "spliced" together vertically:

More info/data coming soon....

Comment

Preliminary data for three AMT's: Airborne RT-5002's, Beyma TPL-150H's, & Dayton AMTPRO-4's. DCRs measured by DATS V2.

Airborne #1, by itself with just faceplate, plus faceplate removed and added horn. 2.06V into 4.2Ω, 1m.

Airborne #2, by itself with just faceplate, plus faceplate removed and added horn. 2.06V into 4.2Ω, 1m.

All 4 curves superimposed.

That is with just a rough, rudimentary fit. I am going to fill in the throat of the horn somehow to better match it up to the width of the AMT apertures to hopefully get better horn loading. The only penalty is above ~16-17kHz, where you lose 1-1.5 dB.

Comment

Beyme TPL-150H's. Only tested as-is, with the Beyma horns. DCR as measured by DATS V2.

Beyma #1 and #2. 2.19V into 4.8Ω. 1m. (interesting to note that Beyma rates these as 8Ω nominal drivers, which doesn't make sense since it is pretty much purely resistive @ ~ it's own DCR. I would call these "4Ω" personally)

Comment

Dayton AMTPRO-4's. 2.06V into 4.1Ω, 1m.

(near future....)

Up next [2nd] round of testing:
                • re-test Airborne RT-5002's with tighter throat matching on H110 horn.
                • re-test Beyma TPL-150H with custom larger horn.
                • re-test Dayton AMTPRO-4 with custom larger horn.

During the 3rd round of testing:
                • re-test an Airborne RT-5002 pair, vertically aligned, no faceplates, with custom horn surmounting both drivers.

Comment

All of those AMT's have a very useable response out of the box. If you're looking to get the most output from the AMTPRO, put a sealed chamber over the back side to turn it to a monopole. As a dipole, I found I got a little more output in the 2-4kHz region by leaving both layers of felt in place on the back side (unsure if you tested with it in place or not). I imagine it can only be improved from a completely sealed chamber. You'd want to do this when you mount a horn to it as well anyway.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                    All of those AMT's have a very useable response out of the box. If you're looking to get the most output from the AMTPRO, put a sealed chamber over the back side to turn it to a monopole. As a dipole, I found I got a little more output in the 2-4kHz region by leaving both layers of felt in place on the back side (unsure if you tested with it in place or not). I imagine it can only be improved from a completely sealed chamber. You'd want to do this when you mount a horn to it as well anyway.

Yes both felt pads were in place. A test box will surely come later on as well. All of them show good potential for my project, one way or another. My main sub-goal for now is to determine how low of a Xover freq I can pull from any one of these various setups because as I hope you remember, I'm shooting for a 10" midbass driver to match up the high-frequency unit. So I'm still doing this balancing act on this end of the spectrum. I know one can start on the bass side of thing because those are never attenuated due to baffle loss to begin with, but I can always tweak things out with EQ and power.
                    Last edited by guitar maestro; 01-05-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Just picked up these babies. Not saying these will be the ones I end up using, but they do have a good shot I'd say.

I hope to have some FR measurements once I build some test boxes, likely sealed.

Comment

Amplifier came in. Peavey IPR2 7500. It should put out a couple of watts.

Hmm, what are those boxes on top? Where'd that shipping box go....

Hmmm, they can't spell "Electrical", how bad could it be?

AMT MADNESS !!!

Comment

Did I miss what you're running for subs?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Did I miss what you're running for subs?
                            I will be running Dayton Ultimax 10s for bass driver duties, although I have been contemplating either two drivers for a 2-ohm final load, or three drivers for a 3-ohm final load, with two 12" passive radiators. The sensitivity ends up being roughly the same either way. Two drivers will be an easier fit into the physical box scheme I have in mind, but three drivers can take more power to handle the DSP EQ gain I will need to run on the low-end. Still some planning to be done.

Comment

Comment

Some preliminary Distortion Measurements. Omnimic about 1" from the speakers. Don't pass out, these are just bare bones test boxes to see where those driver's stand in a worst-case scenario. Wipe the sweat off your brow.

For the tweeter measurements, I had to use both foam earplugs AND earmuffs, as it was dang loud. Mic sensitivity was all the way down to prevent overloading it.

Beyma TPL-150H

Hygeia RT-50021

Hygeia RT-50021 Horn loaded

Any comments from the experts?

Comment

Working...
                                X