Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any crossover nerds want to take on a mentee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisiting the H110 horn-loaded Hygeia RT-5002. I modified the H110 horn to get a tighter throat matching to see if I should pursue that route any further.

Before and after modifying the horn to correct for the aspect ratio disparity.

After some fiberglass and resin and (rough) shaping with a pneumatic belt sander:

My before-and-after graphs I originally posted here ended up being off due to me not settings things right in Windows that keeps changing the record levels on Omnimic.

This is back-to-back, adjusting the mic distance to maintain 1m from the bare tweeter itself, and 1m from the waveguide exit plane when mounting it onto the tweeter (gotta move the mic back about 6"). Compared to stock without horn-loading, it's +17dB in some areas of the midrange.

Gain:

Overall, not bad for a $46 AMT and a $10 horn, I'd say. ;) Results are exactly what I expected. I'm gonna see if I can wring out anymore out of this, and according to my amazingly sophisticated mathematical modeling and calculations, if I bring in the horn side-walls by about 2-3mm to increase the loading, there should be an even great boost in performance. Stay tuned.

Edit: That FR graph above is the final prototype. Not so much gain, but the response did smooth out on the lower-end! Tightened up fit shown below. Obviously this was all done by hand, meaning using pneumatic sanders, and a hand file. If I were to decide to use these, I would throw them on the mill and use a jig to get a nice square cut-out. to get it looking nice(er).
    Last edited by guitar maestro; 03-17-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Up and coming:¬* Battle of the 10" monster midbasses.¬* Bare-knuckle combat between four to six 10" heavyweights.¬* Nothing less than 400W RMS drivers here, minimum of 6mm Xmax.¬* ¬*This is Texas.¬* Go big or go home.¬*¬*

All have flux demodulation rings in hope of low-distortion performance, the Ciare being the only one that is not documented to have one.¬* The others should be here by June.

Ciare NDH10-3 and Faital Pro 10FH530 warming up.¬* The 10" Ultimax's are just there as ringside judges.¬*The¬*

Comment

What other 10" drivers are you comparing?
        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
        exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

B&C 10PLB76
          Faital Pro 10FH520 (should be here next week)
          Beyma 10MC700ND
          Eighteen Sound 10NW750

that's the plan at least.

Comment

That Faital Pro 10FH530 looks intense, I just sold off a pair of old RCF 15" drivers that had a motor about that size.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

Yea it sure has some magnet slug on it.¬* Spider is huge as well. Looks to be about 8.5" diam.
              ¬*
              Last edited by guitar maestro; 04-28-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

That's a good sign that it can actually reach it's xmax without being mechanically limited.

Comment

Breaking them in real good.¬* 20Hz sine wave.¬* 30V RMS.¬* Three paralled off each channel of the Peavey IPR2 7500. Pardon the mess.

The high-temperature behavior favors the Faital Pro 10FH530 with it's massive motor.¬*It runs the coolest of the three, with the Ciare NDH10-3 doing OK, and the Faital Pro 10FH520 motor getting very warm to the touch since it has the least mass to absorb heat from the coil, and has a funky venting scheme to it.¬* The aluminum frame that is strapped around the rear of the motor is wicking heat away though, so it's design is somewhat functional.

Comment

Entering the ring, in the black corner, weighing in at 8.82lbs, sporting a segmented outside neodymium magnet, 3" coil, 450W RMS power handling, aluminum demodulating ring, the challenger, from Italy, Eighteen Sound 10NW750!!!!!¬* ¬*

Comment

These monsters just came in...I think these might win the battle just on sheer monstrosity alone...Faital Pro 10HP1020's...700W AES/1400W Program...4" coil...Dual spiders, spaced about 13mm apart...Huge Neo motors for a midbass.

Comment

This looks pretty entertaining!! I am actually looking at doing a two-way with a 10" midbass and the peerless compression driver in a SEOS horn. However I was going to use the 10FE200 from Faital. Do you have any of the budget 10's in your lineup? I'm really interested to know if I would hear the difference between the 10FE200 at $50/driver vs. something like a B&C or higher model Faital. Any of them will be loud enough by far, but my curiousity is in the sound quality, in clarity of vocals. Looking forward to your test results and whatever you build!

Comment

I recently helped skvinson do an MTM with the DE250 and the Faital 8FE200. He's quite pleased, and I thought they did quite well. The issue you may run into is how low the CD can go to meet the 10".

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            I recently helped skvinson do an MTM with the DE250 and the Faital 8FE200. He's quite pleased, and I thought they did quite well. The issue you may run into is how low the CD can go to meet the 10".

Later,
                            Wolf
                            Thanks Wolf - the Peerless was tested in the "interesting new compression driver from Peerless" thread (or something close to that title) by badman and EarlK and both thought it was good to 1200-1500 in the SEOS if I remember correctly, so I THINK that should work. Javad also liked the 8" drivers in one of his projects as well, I think I'll just stick with the FE200.

Comment

Working...
                            X