New TT project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TT project

50lb Al platter machined by a friend of mine. Polished carbide spherical bearing and neo ring magnets to alleviate the weight.
    I have to come up with worthy plinth for it. Thinking of DIYing Schroeder tonearm.
    Attached Files
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Hey Roman, that is one astounding start for your TT. Can't wait to see how it develops, particularly your plinth.

Comment

Speaking of turntables, the video link above led to another link, which led to another . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

I'm surprised that "only" weighs 50#, it is solid?

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Wow!!!!!!

Comment

I have several Maxon DC motors and might swap one for some machined pullies These are the best motors I know of and are used by many very high end turntable manfacturers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...motors-tt.html

Comment

Roman,

What are you considering for a motor? I ask because I tried a heavier platter using the same motor I used with an AR platter and bearing assembly, and find the heavier platter makes the motor work a little harder, causing slightly more noise, and probably vibration, though it may not affect the platter and cartridge. I don't have a way to check this, other than listening.

Do you have any ideas for measuring vibration?

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
                  I have several Maxon DC motors and might swap one for some machined pullies These are the best motors I know of and are used by many very high end turntable manfacturers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...motors-tt.html
                  This project is a collaboration between 3 people. Joe is the machinist of the platters. There are 3 made in total. One is 70lb, one 50lb and one is made out of Delrin.
                  I am designing and machining plinths and the other engineer is dealing with motors. These will most likely be Maxons.
                  I don't have a machine shop for precision metalwork but I can put you in contact with Joe.
                  Will PM his email later.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                    Roman,

What are you considering for a motor? I ask because I tried a heavier platter using the same motor I used with an AR platter and bearing assembly, and find the heavier platter makes the motor work a little harder, causing slightly more noise, and probably vibration, though it may not affect the platter and cartridge. I don't have a way to check this, other than listening.

Do you have any ideas for measuring vibration?
                    Mine will probably have 2 DC motors. I am not sure which model these will be.
                    I have an old accelerometer from Meniscus but was never able to get any data that would make any sense through Sound Easy. Something worth looking in to.

Comment

I've wondered if setting a microphone on the plinth, or possibly just a microphone capsule on the head shell, carefully wired for minimum weight and interference, might provide useful data, at least a way to compare different motors, plinths and platters. Its output could probably be recorded as a way to compare what it picks up from different combinations. It will be interesting to see what you do with the TT project.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                        Mine will probably have 2 DC motors. I am not sure which model these will be.
                        I have an old accelerometer from Meniscus but was never able to get any data that would make any sense through Sound Easy. Something worth looking in to.

I'm sure your plinths will be suitably awesome, like a solid block of cocobolo or zebrawood.
                        IIRC, the heavy TT guys obsess over power supplies for the motors also.
                        Anything special for the PS, or just a massive SMPS?

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Does anyone know of a TT project in which magnets were located on the underside of the platter, possibly in pockets milled in the platter, as part of the motor? With a heavy platter, it might be a way to incorporate the motor and the platter, avoiding a few parts and vibration.

Comment

You might want to check out this thread. A Schroeder clone is on my list of things I'd really love to do, but will probably never get around to (at the top of that list is learning to play the cello). It looks like you're off to a great start on the table. Will Joe be machining the tonearm parts as well? If so, and he's open to it, I'd love to purchase a set.

Hi Fran, Sorry i cant be much help, i get very little needle chatter, and cant feel any vibration at all in the gallows. If the gallows it actually vi

Comment

Working...
                            X