Peerless 830874 on sale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless 830874 on sale

This is a nice 6.5" driver that is very versatile, and could work well crossed low, or high.. The sealed F3 is lower that the PE data sheet indicates.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1090
    Last edited by rpb; 11-11-2017, 01:36 PM.

How do you like them compared to the nomex cone?

Comment

FS 58 Hz?
      No matter where you go, there you are.
      Website

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
        How do you like them compared to the nomex cone?
        They sound almost identical to me. The 831735 seems a little warmer in the bass range, but it's a small difference. The close mic measurements look virtually the same below 800hz, or so. I had a x-over for the 874 and a Morel tweeter wired together on the floor with jumpers. This xo was going to be my final for the 874. I decided to play with the 831735 one afternoon, so I swapped the drivers. (ie same box, and x-over, just set them back on the stand after I measured them.) That 831735 combo and xo is what I've been using for weeks now, and I like it slightly better than the 874. The measurements of the two speaker designs look slightly different in the 1k to 2k range because the drivers measure different there. The 874 xo is flatter in that range than the 831735 since the 874 was the driver used to make the xo initially. If you like the 831735, you will probably like the 874 too. Mine are sealed. In my 12 x 14 room (approx) , the bass is nice without a sub, and without porting. A ported box would allow for a lot of tuning on the low end that would swamp any driver differences I think. One thing the 874 can do that the 831735 can not, is cross high. I have crossed the 874 at 4k. It's a different sound since the off axis is different. It interacts differently with the room crossed that high. It also allows you to use almost any tweeter since the woofer covers everything below 4k. The off axis measurements are not smooth when crossed that high, but I still like the overall sound of that design. For a more technically correct design, I'd cross at or below 2.5k. But, if the speaker is for HT use, the 4k xo lets you beat on it pretty hard without worrying about killing the tweeter. The 4k xo requires a few extra parts, so a cheap tweeter might get offset cost wise by an additional LCR notch.

Comment

There will be a design next year with a boat load of 874 drivers and RPB's insanely complex XO's with another insane bird's nest tangle of alligator jumpers.... And it should be all over the midwest shows....

I just have to start cutting wood...! have the drivers and the tweet and RPB already done multiple XO's for the 874.

Comment

Working...
          X