Is a Reciever Necessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Reciever Necessary?

I am setting up a new HT / Listening area and I was wondering if I actually needed to purchase a receiver. I already have an Emotiva XPA-3. If I purchased an Oppo UDP-203 and did the analog out's to the Emotiva to power my L/C/R, then I could use a Kodi streaming box for non disc content. Most of the criticism of the Oppo 203 seems to be lack of streaming and cost. But a $550 player is cheap compared to a $1500 Reciever or Pre-amp. Am I overlooking something?

Does the oppo control volume?

Comment

There are many options under 1.5K, some of the best are used high end gear on the usual suspect site.

Comment

Originally posted by xsilverjag View Post
        Does the oppo control volume?
        Yes it does have the ability to control the volume
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Canít speak for the 203, but my 105 serves as a basic preamp just fine.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
            There are many options under 1.5K, some of the best are used high end gear on the usual suspect site.
            Of Course. I guess my point was that this seems to be a nice little "pre-amp" with a decent DAC, and picture Upscaling. For $550, not sure I could find a better pre-amp / receiver and media player even if I did go used. It only has 1 sub output, and there isn't any room correction, but again for the price, seems pretty decent. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something, like volume control, but Craig answered that!

Comment

Working...
            X