Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to you all think about the new Dayton Audio MK402 bookshelves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to you all think about the new Dayton Audio MK402 bookshelves?

I know this isn't diy, but these seem like they could be good for the money.

I think this is the woofer and tweeter.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-020
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-415
    Dayton Audio MK402 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair

Originally posted by Kered View Post
    I know this isn't diy, but these seem like they could be good for the money.

I think this is the woofer and tweeter.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--275-020
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-415
    Yes, those are the drivers for the MK402'S.
    They do look to be a good set of speakers and $69 is a decent price.
    You could just get the drivers and build your own version. The xo looks easy enough to copy.

Comment

Depending on cabinet quality and how the simple crossover actually tames things it could be a remarkable value for $69/pr... or it could be a $69/pr speaker. Dayton offer good value, but I am not convinced they are running this as any kind of "loss leader".

That being said, even with the ability to buy the drivers direct from the mfr, it would be difficult to to build these to a finished state for $69 - and I would argue that the dual goal of improving deficiencies in a cheap speaker and learning more about design in general would be the only reason to DIY over buy in this case. In fact, if we go with the oft-quoted disinformation mantra of "A good diy design will cost 1/10th of a commercial counterpart", then we have $7 to work with here. It is my opinion that this particular "tautology" no longer works.

My personal recommendation: if you have measurement gear at home, do not buy the drivers separate to try and build these yourself. Buy them as-is and try to find ways to improve them. Off the top of my head, a new (or at least heavily revised) crossover and some cabinet modifications will probably be warranted.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that there just weren't enough options for bargain bin speakers...Cabinets looks nice, the rest looks like a <$100 speaker. Crossover has more than 1 part so they're probably pretty good value.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          Crossover has more than 1 part so they're probably pretty good value.
          The web page specifies a 1st order low pass and a 2nd order HP (2, 3 acoustic). but in the picture of XO, I don;t see the second coil. What am I missing? Series XO?

Comment

My $0.02: for that price they're probably worth it, even if the cabinets need a little internal bracing etc.
            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

The web page specifies a 1st order low pass and a 2nd order HP (2, 3 acoustic). but in the picture of XO, I don;t see the second coil. What am I missing? Series XO?
              ​Yeah, that picture of the x-over seems to be missing an inductor . I'm also curious about the large center-to-center spacing between the two drivers - it looks like that woofer could be moved up a bit on the panel to be closer to the tweeter. And the vent looks a bit small for a 60 Hz Fb. But still, for $69 a pair, it's definitely worth a good look.
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Typo... I'm guessing first order HP, second order LP. The coil and NPE are likely on the woofer with that poly cap and resistor on the tweeter. Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

MattP from PE explained in the "catalog is back" thread that it is a first order electrical on both the woofer and tweeter.
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-is-back/page3

the bottom line for the crossover is:
                  0.45 mH inductor before the woofer, bypassed with the 0.33 uF yellow 334j cap (1st order electrical)
                  4 uF NPE cap followed (or preceded perhaps) by the 1 Ohm 5W1RJ resistor into the tweeter (1st order electrical)

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post

MattP from PE explained in the "catalog is back" thread that it is a first order electrical on both the woofer and tweeter.
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-is-back/page3

the bottom line for the crossover is:
                    0.45 mH inductor before the woofer, bypassed with the 0.33 uF yellow 334j cap (1st order electrical)
                    4 uF NPE cap followed (or preceded perhaps) by the 1 Ohm 5W1RJ resistor into the tweeter (1st order electrical)

And I'd be wrong

​It's cool they have a 13kHz notch filter on that woofer, that's a bit of forethought that isn't typical for budget speakers. I bet these are definitely a good budget choice.
                    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                    Wogg Music

Comment

Upgrading to a LR4 with some BSC should bring some more life out of that system, at least the tweeter should enjoy the change.
                      Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

Working...
                      X