Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Design Team Build #3 - The Juggernauts (also know as The Better Late Than Never)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Beautiful! Will these be making an appearance at the MWAF? TomZ
    If I can get them done in time.
    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

More progress. Vinyl wrap applied, outriggers finished. All that’s left is crossover assembly and driver installation. Initially had some issues with the vinyl. Used a 3M vinyl primer and this stuff makes the vinyl stick like crazy. Layer a piece down wrong and tried to pull it back up. Pulled the primer right off the side of the cab. Finally got everything down with minimal wrinkles.
      -Kerry

Comment

-Kerry

Comment

I really like what you have done here and can appreciate the walnut. They look gorgeous. I have been in the process of designing some towers for my living room, but with an active cross over and I was wondering about the side mounted woofer. If I was able to do that, I could significantly narrow these cabs up. What is your take on it? Also how do you like the PR vs BR?
          "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Man those are looking nice. Beautiful work Kerry!

Comment

Kerry killing it as usual!!!
              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
                I really like what you have done here and can appreciate the walnut. They look gorgeous. I have been in the process of designing some towers for my living room, but with an active cross over and I was wondering about the side mounted woofer. If I was able to do that, I could significantly narrow these cabs up. What is your take on it? Also how do you like the PR vs BR?
                Thank you. It’s been a lot of work to get here. It’s definitely harder to integrate being side mounted and changes the power response some. You’ll be limited to about 250-300 Hz tops for the crossover. The PR was used because the port size required for this tuning made the length excessively long to prevent chuffing. It does exactly what it was meant for.
                -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                  Kerry killing it as usual!!!
                  Thanks. How are you doing these days?
                  -Kerry

Comment

OOOooooh, I love the look of the brushed aluminum against the walnut for the outrigger feet w/matching spikes... that's really a nice touch.
                    I'm looking forward to seeing these in person.
                    TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                      Thanks. How are you doing these days?
                      Great! Just built a new shed so have a new workshop hideaway . Got a lot of projects on tap and finishing up two right now, bookshelves using XT25 and 8fe200's and then an Aura MR-18 IB in my car. Then a couple BT radios (ammo can, cigar box) for people.

Kid's doing great, wife's happy, I'm working again after a second ACL tear, but that's going well. No complaints!

Looks like you are busy AF and doing great things! Hoping to get a chance to build some of your designs in the future, love their style and design characteristics.
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post

Great! Just built a new shed so have a new workshop hideaway . Got a lot of projects on tap and finishing up two right now, bookshelves using XT25 and 8fe200's and then an Aura MR-18 IB in my car. Then a couple BT radios (ammo can, cigar box) for people.

Kid's doing great, wife's happy, I'm working again after a second ACL tear, but that's going well. No complaints!

Looks like you are busy AF and doing great things! Hoping to get a chance to build some of your designs in the future, love their style and design characteristics.
                        Two ACL tears in a short amount of time. Dude, you gotta settle down with the crossfit!

Yeah, been ridiculously busy lately. I feel like I'm never even home on the weekends anymore.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

Two ACL tears in a short amount of time. Dude, you gotta settle down with the crossfit!

Yeah, been ridiculously busy lately. I feel like I'm never even home on the weekends anymore.
                          Not the CF, trying to play football still But, different approach to my rehab this time and may hang it up. Just huge part of my life, so we'll see.

My wife says the same thing....but I'm just out in the shed. :D

On this project note, I had the same thing happen with the CF vinyl I was applying to my IB baffle, where it happened was on the painted part, pulled off a little chunk. That VVIVID vinyl sticks like hell!

Comment

I made some updates to the crossover after posting the information earlier in this thread. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but somehow my offsets for the woofer all got deleted from my file and it sounded like there was a big hole around 250 Hz. Once I realized the offsets were gone and fixed that, sure enough, there was a big dip there. That changed some things to the lower end and I also ended up going 1st order on the midrange low pass and second order on the tweeter high pass.

Crossover is now acoustically 180 Hz third order on the woofer, 250 Hz second order transitioning to 4th order high pass and 1100 Hz first order low pass on the woofer, third order (although it starts more like LR2) 1900 Hz on the tweeter. I'll upload electrical schematics when I get time.

-Kerry

Comment

Then your xover points are what, 220 and 1.5kHz, correct? Do they sum in-phase and xover at -6dB from reference? LR if so. Or out 90 degrees phase offset and -3dB from reference? BW if so.

I know you're trying to explain how the shape of each knee is in your acoustic profile for the 3-way architecture, but there really are only 2 xover points in a 3-way. Sometimes people get hung up on what the slopes and knees appear to acoustically target in a simulation (I did the same thing a long while back), but it's really the accumulative nature of the entire blend that equates what is actually going on. Sure transitioning of the slope can be stated, and curve shape can also be, but that is usually easily seen in a simulation. However, you are not stating what the xover points actually are, nor the acoustic summation alignment.

This of course has no bearing on how they sound vs what was on paper above. At InDIYana, I felt the mid and tweeter were really nice together and fairly seamless. Your explanation of the hole you had explains why I felt the woofer wasn't playing all that well with the midrange- even though the bass was really nice. I chalked/guessed it up to woofer off-axis response and the blend, but your offsets really could screw things up for sure. Well played out and fixed now, I'm sure.

Best regards,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X