Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good 2 way design using only a capacitor for the crossover is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wanted to try the Human kit, I think any decent quality capacitor will give satisfactory performance for this application. Back in the 70's they were a bargain
    ​and rated pretty good when New England was the center of speaker technology.

Comment

I loved my Realistic Nova 15's from the 80's / early 90's, 8" woofer paired to a cone tweeter with a single cap. I still have a pair with original parts, but the foam surrounds are dead on the woofers so I can't do a good measurement to see how they really perform comparatively.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Epos ES11 and ES14 both used a single cap on the tweeter and even though they are an old design, they are still very popular.

Comment

Hello! It took me awhile to get registered I've basically been working on the same project...well it wasn't specifically for a one capacitor speaker..but I think it might just work perfectly...If you look on Zaph Audio's website, he expiriments with horn loading a standard SEAS tweeter, and needs only a capacitor on the tweeter...I'm planning on building a speaker with that or similar tweeter/wave-guide but replace the two 6 1/2 seas woofers with the SEAS a 26RE4....it looks to me the unfiltered woofer and the tweeter with one cap in the wave-guide should match up just about perfectly! It seems so simple, I haven't seen anyone use that woofer with a waveform, it seems like such a natural fit...and get by with a much less expensive tweeter than the "exotic" 1 1/2 inch midtweet in the madisound kit...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevyjo View Post
            .If you look on Zaph Audio's website, he expiriments with horn loading a standard SEAS tweeter, and needs only a capacitor on the tweeter..
            I haven't looked at it, but will make the assumption that by 'needs' he means that between the acoustical roll off of the horn loaded tweeter and the electrical roll off provided by first order filtering the combined slope adequately minimizes the pass band overlap of the tweeter response. That doesn't necessarily mean that a higher order filter might not give a better result.
            In the pro-sound genre, where both horn loaded HF drivers and variable slope electronic crossovers are common, most users who've experimented with slope find that they prefer the steepest slope possible, and we're not taking about third order versus first order, we're taking about eighth order versus fourth order.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
            X