Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth speaker build

Hi all,
    I'm new here and am looking for a bit of advice on a first speaker build.
    First up, I'm a cabinet maker by trade so no probs building the housing.
    I would like to build something for the workshop with the following requirements:

Single portable unit.
    Bluetooth and 3.5 jack input
    Portable, so power and rechargeable batteries.
    Usb port to charge phone.
    Budget parts but decent sound.

As its a first build I dont want to spend too much, if I get it right I can always upgrade at a later stage.
    Does the cabinet need to be a certain size?

Looking forward to your input.

James

The cabinet size will be dictated by the woofers' characteristics. Here's a build you can review to get you started.

Comment

Wow that brings back memories! The work bench and wall are so clean. I still have the bare enclosure. It was a great test bed, but I pulled everything out of it and it is in the top of my closet now.
      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
      The Roxster
      Swopes 5.0
      Acoustic Panels
      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
        Wow that brings back memories! The work bench and wall are so clean. I still have the bare enclosure. It was a great test bed, but I pulled everything out of it and it is in the top of my closet now.
        Really is a nice build.
        I'm just putting together a parts list, any chance you guys could look over it?

1/ 2 x 50w amplifier board with bluetooth
        2/ 30w 8 ohm full range drivers
        2/ 10-15w 8 ohm (?) tweeters
        Battery boards and batteries to make 24v (?)
        3.5mm audio socket
        Usb charge point
        19v power pack

Look anything like correct?

Comment

Providing the model of the speakers would help. If you are looking at the Dayton KAB series amp/BT combos you will not get 24v our of two boards. What you will get are longer run times. Due to some of the limitations of the 50 watt board you really are better off with a 30 or even 15 watt board. The way the manufacture rates the power and the way the board works they really don't come close to the advertised output wattage. If you are using a tweeter and mid/full range driver you will need some sort of crossover. There are lots of proven designs for smaller speakers that would translate to boombox builds. To note, the USB interface board for the KAB boards only works on the 30 and 50 watt amps. It will supply voltage fr the USB ports but the power switch will not work on the 15 watt board.
          "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Providing the model of the speakers would help. If you are looking at the Dayton KAB series amp/BT combos you will not get 24v our of two boards. What you will get are longer run times. Due to some of the limitations of the 50 watt board you really are better off with a 30 or even 15 watt board. The way the manufacture rates the power and the way the board works they really don't come close to the advertised output wattage. If you are using a tweeter and mid/full range driver you will need some sort of crossover. There are lots of proven designs for smaller speakers that would translate to boombox builds. To note, the USB interface board for the KAB boards only works on the 30 and 50 watt amps. It will supply voltage fr the USB ports but the power switch will not work on the 15 watt board.
            +1.

Given where you are in speaker design, I second Gordy's suggestion of using a known design. Even a single full range driver requires a crossover design. There are a myriad of smaller designs suitable for boombox build ... the Heliums, the Lithiums, and the list goes on. Hopefully others will chime in with more. Here's another well-received boombox design you can review. The "Sprite" is a single driver design.

And the KAB boards are limited to 12 V when running on batteries. That, and the chosen speakers impedance, will limit your total power out regardless of amp choice (i.e. rating). That's physics. At 12 V, you can expect 8 to 9 W rms with a 8 ohm speaker design and 16 to 18 W rms with a 4 ohm speaker design. Note the Sprite design referenced in the link above has both an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm version. The issue with the KAB 2 x 50 board is in it's digital amp's gain selection. The gain is set so low that most MP3/Phones can't drive it to anywhere near max volume. And the integrated BT section doesn't seem to solve that problem either.

Using a 4 ohm design yielding 16 to 18 W will provide plenty of output for table radio, backyard patio music, small workshop, etc.

Gordy and I are on the opposite ends of the boombox spectrum. His is a beautifully crafted work using a well respected design that will provide superb sound for most situations - a Maserati of sound. Mine is no show and all go for running larger beach parties - more like a Dodge Hellcat.

Dunestunes.jpg

Comment

Speaking of. I have several more of those bank 3x5 input plates. I bought the last ones from Erse that they had...all 50+ of them. I would glad to send a few if they are ever needed.

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

...those bank 3x5 input plates.
                ???

Comment

Noticed on top of the igloo speaker there was a plastic plate used for the controls. I have way too many. If you ever need any I have several I would be happy to send

The Madeleine
                  The Roxster
                  Swopes 5.0
                  Acoustic Panels
                  Living Room Make Over

Comment

Been looking at the suggested designs thanks. In particular, "Sprite" and the jdhill one.

Ok, so if I have this right:
                    If I want battery power, it will be 12v.
                    4 ohm would be better on battery than 8 ohm? (is it a trade off between power out and run time?)
                    Drop to 2 x 30w amp with bluetooth.

Comment

Been looking at the suggested designs thanks. In particular, "Sprite" and the jdhill one.

Ok, so if I have this right:
                      If I want battery power, it will be 12v.
                      4 ohm would be better on battery than 8 ohm? (is it a trade off between power out and run time?)
                      Drop to 2 x 30w amp with bluetooth.

Comment

Noticed on top of the igloo speaker there was a plastic plate used for the controls. I have way too many. If you ever need any I have several I would be happy to send
                        Good to know.

On the top of the boombox is the PE 5x7 panel. The standoffs and it's larger size allowed me to integrate all the electronics in a single module. I tapped the existing holes at the end of the standoffs for 3 mm screws (IIRC) to mount the 3/8" mdf for the euroblock and Sure headphone amp (used to increase gain to the TPA3116 amp). It's thick so you need to insure components can mount through 6 mm. Strong, rugged and it drills like a sharp bit in aluminum. Very nice.

Plate 1.jpgPlate 2.jpg

Comment

Ok, after doing loads of reading and shopping to see if I can find the parts, my brain is melting!!
                          Its a case of like a desidn but I cant find part "X", another design, cant find part "Y", another design and part "Z" is custom built by a genius with an unlimited parts supply....

So how does this sound? Based on the sprite.
                          1. 2 x 8 ohm 10w rms speaker
                          2. 2 x 30w bluetooth amp
                          3. aux in and volume
                          4. battery board
                          5. relevant resistors and inductors to make filter as per "Sprite"
                          6. batteries to make 12v
                          7. power adaptor
                          8. toggle switch for power
                          Having trouble finding usb charge port. There is one to suit the bluetooth amp but it looks a nightmare to mount neatly.

Thanks for your time guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesbil View Post
                            Ok, after doing loads of reading and shopping to see if I can find the parts, my brain is melting!!
                            Its a case of like a desidn but I cant find part "X", another design, cant find part "Y", another design and part "Z" is custom built by a genius with an unlimited parts supply....

So how does this sound? Based on the sprite.
                            1. 2 x 8 ohm 10w rms speaker
                            2. 2 x 30w bluetooth amp
                            3. aux in and volume
                            4. battery board
                            5. relevant resistors and inductors to make filter as per "Sprite"
                            6. batteries to make 12v
                            7. power adaptor
                            8. toggle switch for power
                            Having trouble finding usb charge port. There is one to suit the bluetooth amp but it looks a nightmare to mount neatly.

Thanks for your time guys!
                            All good but the Peerless driver. It's 8 ohms, fairly inefficient and its limited Xmax will not allow much bass, at all. Your output will be severely limited to low volumes. And you would need some crossover to manage baffle step (the loss of bass due to the physics of lower notes "wrapping around" the baffle). You can't just switch the driver and use a different design's XO. The driver and XO are intimately tied together. That's one of the the most important, if not the most important aspect of speaker design - an XO tailored designed to the driver.

Your probably better off with the Sprite design based on the ND90-4 version (4 ohm). All the speaker design is done for you by one of the best speaker designers here. You can then take advantage of your woodworking skills. If you don't like the "look" of the driver, you can mount it on the rear of the baffle (example below) with a round over on the baffle. The parts for the XO are readily available (if not, we'll find them for you) and we can walk you through the XO build if that's a concern.

That's my best call.

Sprite 1.png

Comment

-

Comment

Working...
                              X